New Shimano CI4 takes best in show FW reel..... C'mon man!!!

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted

New Shimano CI4 takes best in show FW reel..... C'mon man!!!

Postby DepsMan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:55 pm

I think this a major BS.....

The new Daiwa Tatula should have take this award hands down!
DepsMan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Shimano CI4 takes best in show FW reel..... C'mon ma

Postby bronzefly » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:59 pm

DepsMan wrote:I think this a major BS.....

The new Daiwa Tatula should have take this award hands down!

I'll reserve judgement until I fish both myself :lol:
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby DepsMan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:12 pm

true Bronzefly, but c'mon, as far as innovation and "new" factor.... you have to give it to Daiwa right?
DepsMan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby dragon1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:16 pm

Since when did iCast "best of anything", have much appeal and persuasion with TT members?
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby bronzefly » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:20 pm

DepsMan wrote:true Bronzefly, but c'mon, as far as innovation and "new" factor.... you have to give it to Daiwa right?

I'm as excited as the next tackle junkie to get my hands on the new and improved T-wing system in an aluminum framed reel, but the Chronarch Ci4 does have some interesting qualities itself. I think it's easy and frequent on the forums for solid opinions to be formed on tackle before actually having first hand experience with it. I try very hard to fight this tendancy myself and spend a lot of time and money forming my own opinions... time will tell 8-)
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Fishwhittler » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:28 pm

DepsMan wrote:true Bronzefly, but c'mon, as far as innovation and "new" factor.... you have to give it to Daiwa right?

Well…

Tatula: New level-wind system

Chronarch Ci4+: New body material, new braking system

On the other hand…

The Tatula's level-wind is really just an updated version of the one on the T3/T3B.

Daiwa beat Shimano to the punch with the Zaion carbon T3 and T3B. Shimano's SVS braking is new only to the USDM.

Pick your poison.
Fishwhittler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby tywithay » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:46 pm

My question would be, if I add a carbon handle, os7's on the spool, levelwind bearings, and a couple knob bearings(roughly $120 in upgrades by my count); is the Chronarch still superior in any way other than weight?
tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Zimbass » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:40 pm

To all those posting negatives on Shimano winning Best In Show..................I like it ! Long reign the KING :D

If it had been the Tatula winning, all Shimano fans would be having their moan :lol:
Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby triple_illusion » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:43 pm

:lol: you think that was bad what about rapala winning for their new floating bottle opener? (!)
triple_illusion
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby Nitroman77 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:46 pm

ICAST awards mean nothing, hell the 650$ umbrella rod won best fresh water rod..
Ill be checking out both reel, but I must say the Tatula should have taken it for price point alone with the features it's offering..
Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby africanbass » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:55 pm

Nitroman77 wrote:ICAST awards mean nothing, hell the 650$ umbrella rod won best fresh water rod..
Ill be checking out both reel, but I must say the Tatula should have taken it for price point alone with the features it's offering..

It's simple,keep an eye on TT in the next few months.The user feedback will point you in the correct direction.Regardless of your brand preference.....Icast means squat.
africanbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby haoz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:05 am

I think the new Chronach Ci4+ might have won on the back of the new Metanium.

I mean, the new cast control system introduced by Shimano is quite amazing. Quoting the recent report by Zander,
"Cal has been fishing the new Metanium which utilizes the new cast control system and has found it to be superior in just about every way from VBS."

There are great expectations wrt the new Chronach and its interesting to see if it delivers.

Personally, I love my new Met, but wish Shimano can come up with a smaller version of the new Met hopefully next year.
haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby USA-RET » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:04 am

Without handling both, cannot be sure which reel should have gotten top honors.

Early observations -

Daiwa Tatula, innovative T-Wing redesign. (not really new, refined old system). A heavier and bulkier reel - Not a direction one would have expected with others going to more compact and lighter weights. No doubt it will perform great with the Air Rotation. Excellent price point.

Shimano Ci4 Chronarch - Completely new design to the US market, External braking (new to the US Marker for Shimano), light weight, compact (been told it palms between a 50 and 100 sized reel), New construction material, X Ship is new to the US. Priced much higher than the Daiwa, but well below their top tier offering. Not that pricing should influence the choice for "best in show".

I'm a fan of both company's reels. Have more than I need of each, so I try and be as objective as I can.

Poor Ardent :D
USA-RET
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby ppFishing » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:17 am

dragon1 wrote:Since when did iCast "best of anything", have much appeal and persuasion with TT members?

totally agreed. I will wait until I can get my hands on both of them if I am still alive to do it :lol:
ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby hobobob » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:11 am

triple_illusion wrote::lol: you think that was bad what about rapala winning for their new floating bottle opener? (!)

Just think about the possibility of dropping your bottle opener overboard while the ice chest is full of ice cold coronas. :lol:
hobobob
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Next

Return to Enthusiast & Import Tackle