New GLX crankbait and Flip/Punch rods

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!

New GLX crankbait and Flip/Punch rods

Postby Bantam1 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:17 am

Here's a couple of links to the website with 18 of the new GLX models that will be shown at ICAST:

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/gloomis_2010/us/en/conventional/rods/glx_bass___new__/glx_crankbait.html

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/gloomis_2010/us/en/conventional/rods/glx_bass___new__/glx_flip___punch.html

We will be releasing several more rod models later this year. The new GLX models in the links will start shipping later this month.
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support

Re: New GLX crankbait and Flip/Punch rods

Postby facelessnewsouth » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:39 am

Glad to see it's not the ACS seat! =D> Looks good, Bantam1!
facelessnewsouth
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby Bantam1 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:53 am

The new GLX rods are awesome. I have fished a handful of them and I really, really like them. I dare say they are lighter and more sensitive than previous GLX rods. I am waiting patiently on some of the new models that will be released later this year. The reel seat is very comfortable too. Its rubber coated like the Cumara and Cumulus seats. They also have Fuji Titanium SIC guides.
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support

Postby Imavol » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:45 pm

So I guess it is safe to say that I will not be getting a 894 or 895 NRX model this year?
Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby y2k88 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:10 pm

Eager to have a play with the CBR 781.

Dan, what else would you say about them in terms of in-the-hand on-the-water differences with the existing generation.
y2k88
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby TroutStlkr » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:37 am

Bantam1 wrote:I am waiting patiently on some of the new models that will be released later this year.

Are you able to give us anything as far as which series will be getting the updates? [-o<
TroutStlkr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Lucky Craft Man » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:54 am

I no longer see the BCFR 863 GLX or the BCFR 954 GLX on the G Loomis site. Did they discontinue those models with the introduction of their new Flipping Rods? The BCFR954 GLX is a great punching rod and the BCFR863 GLX is just an overall great pitching and light flipping stick. It would be a shame to see those two models go (as well as the Xpeditor program, which is no longer offered for discontinued rod models). My G Loomis rod line-up is becoming obsolete.

Also, what is the difference between the GLX 855 CBR and the CBR 855 GLX (besides the rod handle and reel seat)? Do they have the same action and power?

I will say that these new rods look nice, but I hate to see the full rear grip falling by the wateside. I wish they offered a full rear grip version of the same rod model (somehwat how Dobyns Rods do and since G Loomis offers two different colors in the NRX, why not offer something that really matters, like a full rear grip along with the split grip). I just don't find the split grips rods to be as balanced as their full grip predecessors. I had to add over an ounce of weight to the back end of my NRX 853C JWR to balance it out where I never had to do that with my BCR 853 GLX. Just some input and opinions from a longtime G Loomis user.
Lucky Craft Man
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Bantam1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:59 am

The models you listed have been replaced by the new GLX models. I think you will like the action on some of the new flip/punch rods. The balance is actually really good. I think you will be surprised. There was a lot of focus on that because of the split grip. Of course different reels will change the balance point.

The new 855 has a different action and is not as fast as the older 855 GLX rod. I guess the best way to describe them is the action is between the standard cranking rods and the Deep Flex cranking rods. I hope that makes sense.
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support

Postby Lucky Craft Man » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:54 pm

Are there plans to keep the current Crankbait Series or are these GLX Crankbait Rods their replacement? Also, are there any plans to add models to this new GLX flipping rod line-up, like the BCFR 954, or is this the complete collection? Last question, is there any talk of making NRX flipping rods or are these new GLX rods going to be the pinnacle for those rod models? Thanks!

PS Congratulation on winning the "Best in Show" Award in the fly rod catagory (even though there isn't a 5 wt.option In the NRX Nymph Series ;-)
Lucky Craft Man
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Bantam1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:17 pm

The current crankbait rods are staying in the line up. The only model that will not was the original 855 GLX cranking rod. I'm not sure what the future is for the flipping sticks in GLX or if we will have any in NRX. I think for right now we are going to focus on the JWR and other GLX rods that are coming later. I hope we see some NRX additions next year. Trust me I have been going in weekly begging for more models. I really want a 7' 4 power GLX crankbait rod too.

Thanks!
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support

Postby Lucky Craft Man » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:08 pm

Well, I better stock up on a few of those original CBR 855 GLX, because I really like the action of those rods. I even had a rod maker take an 855, take off the rear grip/reel seat/foregrip, cut off 4 inches, and then reassemble a reel seat and rear handle (no foregrip) for a jerkbait rod. I found the 7'1" length too long for jerkbaits, but 6'9" is perfect along with the action and power of the cut 855. From the sound of it, the newer 855's are a little softer (i.e., more moderate) than the older (soon to be discontinued) 855's, which wouldn't translate into what I want in a jerkbait rod if I choose to get another one modified.

Thanks for all the information!
Lucky Craft Man
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Bantam1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:14 pm

Yes the new rods are a little softer. They fall between the CBR and Deep Flex. That is the best way I can describe them. Now I have not used all of the rods yet, so some of the actions may be a little different.
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support

Return to Shimano Product Support