The Worse ..........

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: The Worse ..........

Postby GOOD YEAR 71 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:56 am

cndbasshunter wrote:nanofil for me..snapped off 2-3 lures easily :(

x2. I understand some like it, but I won't use again

MondayMonkey wrote:a few spools of maxima chameleon cause they heard we were going salmon fishing with our uncle that weekend. ... and spent 98% of the day untangling knots kinks and twists ... I've hated that company ever since lol.

Never had issue, but poor shelf life. Had to write because last time used I landed both 32" and 34" Salmon. Go figure. \:D/

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby BucketHunter » Wed May 13, 2015 3:09 am

bronzefly wrote:Berkley Ironsilk was pretty awful line - I snapped off several crankbaits on the cast until I finally realized that the line was the culprit...

I don't recall the name of it, but when I was a young'n, Dad spooled up some old bantam baitcasters with some kind of "oval" line that was supposed to be the latest greatest thing - that stuff was awful too :lol:

Silver thread AN40?

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby BigG » Wed May 13, 2015 6:09 am

Ardent flipping reel

QUAKEnSHAKE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed May 13, 2015 12:41 pm

Seaguar Kanzen 15# very weak.
BB1 Pro was a fail
My first Omen Black rod.

slipperybob
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby slipperybob » Wed May 13, 2015 3:16 pm

My worse disappointments:

Lew's tournament pro bait casting reel. I bought first run of the reels. Had to return one immediately. Kept second one, still have it and still plan to make it work. Great reel in many areas on first season of use...now it's just a benched table weight.

Berkly Vanish. I've forgotten why I ever used that in the first place.

Spiderwire Fusion. It makes Fireline look wonderful. LOL yeah the list of tradeoff for Fireline is well you know if you have used it.

Quantum Snapshot open face spinning reels. Love the looks, performance was more reel fighting than fishing. Like the rod for a bit but it snapped.

Cabela's Ripcord SI braid. Flat and gets you more wind knots than you need if it weren't line digging into the spool.

Ugly Duckling lures. I bought a bunch... Never caught anything with it. Tried to fish hard into wood cover but somehow they don't snag either, nor do they wobble at all.

Some pradco lures that never ran correctly. LOL

Rapala skitter prop...why can't I catch a fish with it. Lousy prop that won't turn unless I'm ripping it. Gosh and they still won't bite it on the pause.

Maxima Ultragreen...works great on day one, day two it starts to deform, degrade, whatever wasn't working like day one. Week later, why I am a cheapo and put up with it. Oh well, the saying fresh line is best. I still have my half used filler spools as proof that I actually used it. LOL.

slipperybob
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby slipperybob » Wed May 13, 2015 3:22 pm

Oh yeah,

Shakespeare Cajun red line...it will put you into a rage'n cage'n of a fit. LOL.

bmlum
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby bmlum » Wed May 13, 2015 4:07 pm

Any quantum or Abu winch

jakob1010
Angler
Angler

Postby jakob1010 » Sat May 16, 2015 5:02 pm

Cotton Cordell Lures. Have an entire 360 box of them collecting dust. Any unscented plastic... And some Suffix Nylon line that was way to thick for my liking. Other than that can't say I've bought to much bad stuff.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Postby africanbass » Sat May 16, 2015 11:59 pm

Ko-manchi cable spinnerbaits,
The flimsy Trokar hooks spoil a brilliant concept.
For open/sparse cover these would rock if the hook points wouldn't turn :evil:

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Somerdink » Sun May 17, 2015 4:23 am

BigG wrote:Ardent flipping reel

Couldn't agree with you more Big G. The Ardent line of reels were just terrible in general always a grinding feel in them didn't matter how many times I got them cleaned.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby hungry_cow » Mon May 18, 2015 1:56 am

Terrible line for anything needing a harder hookset than crappie fishing! I broke the line on my first 4 or 5 bites before realizing it has absolutely no impact strength at all. I could just pull on 10 lb test with my hands and it would break every time like it was 2 lb test.

brian1967
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby brian1967 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:29 am

Stren Fluorocarbon. I lost a few good Live Target jerkbaits but I didn't stop using it until I hung something really nice and the line snapped within a few seconds. Went to Seagaur and never looked backed. Not 1 lost bait or fish! 8-[
Last edited by brian1967 on Tue May 19, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

brian1967
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby brian1967 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:32 am

hungry_cow wrote:

Terrible line for anything needing a harder hookset than crappie fishing! I broke the line on my first 4 or 5 bites before realizing it has absolutely no impact strength at all. I could just pull on 10 lb test with my hands and it would break every time like it was 2 lb test.

Use a leader. . . . . . problem solved. :big grin:

FrankTheRabbit
Angler
Angler

Postby FrankTheRabbit » Wed May 20, 2015 11:42 pm

Okuma Aventa float rod and centre-pin reel. The rod was tip heavy and so whippy, had to double hook set every time or the fish would unbutton itself. The rod tip was prone to breaking. The centre-pin reel was utter garbage. Not smooth, had grinding issues, and felt wobbly when feeling in a fish. No wonder it was replaced with a newer model.

Finesse68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Finesse68 » Sun May 24, 2015 3:29 am

Trilene XL, I've always had horrible luck with it. Seems like I can't get a spool that doesn't have nicks and deformities throughout. Sent a senko flying with 10 feet of line still attached, and broke on an in line spinner that snagged in mud!! Also didn't care for BPS flourocarbon, completely unmanageable on casting gear. It would constantly spring off the spool like on a spinning reel.

Return to “General”