Tackle addict vs fisherman?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
karirick
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Tackle addict vs fisherman?

Postby karirick » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:19 pm

As we close another year I am going to ask how many of you don't actually fish that often; but yet still LOVE rods/reels etc?

I will admit I have only fished like 10 days in the last 4 years but I have grown my rods/reels to my greatest ever collection and it makes me very, very happy knowing they are in the the reel case and rod racks here in the man cave.

I do plan to start fishing more in the coming years as I got my boat last Summer; but I love to tinker with and buy new gear.

Just curious how many out there are at least somewhat similar? Thanks.

Rick

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Tackle addict vs fisherman?

Postby bigfruits » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:45 pm

I have been fishing a lot more since i bought my first kayak about 10 years ago. Before that I would co-angle, rent a jon boat or fish from shore and only get out maybe 5 times a month and I had GLX and Avid rods, Chronarchs, Curados and Stradics. A bit of a poser but justified because I have been fishing since I was a kid. The gear doesnt evaporate if not used.

I have a bit of a rod fetish, I own 30 rods but only use 8 or so regularly. I finally got the courage to put 7 of them up for sale.

These last years I have been fishing 3-4 times a week but during the week days I can only get about 4 hrs in. And when it is cold I stay home! Still have the beloved GLXs and kept one Chronarch but have added NRX, Megabass,Metaniums and an Aldebaran to the arsenal.

I think its funny that a lot of us on here have nicer combos than many professional tournament fisherman that are on the water daily. Its just so much more enjoyable with quality gear, isnt it? Even when I get skunked I have a great time on the water. Having a $15k boat and fishing with lifeless rods doesnt make sense to me. But then again, Im in it for fun and not profit. :)

Hope you get some more time out there next year on that new boat!

SteveSchmelzle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby SteveSchmelzle » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:46 am

I think I run a little different course than most on here, and completely opposite to the OP.

as I fish for multiple species in multiple formats (inland lake, great lakes, streams, etc), I'm up to approx 55 rods/reels at last count.

75% of those are high end, with the rest decent.

My rule is if I don't use a rod in two seasons, I give it away. I don't sell my stuff, because I use my stuff heavily. I don't wash corks, I don't polish reels, and I don't match colours.

Even my 10 NRX rods get treated like the rest...they get fished hard, never washed/cleaned (when I started on this site my eyes literally fell out of my head when I read people were cleaning their corks).

I don't own a single reel that doesn't have line on it.

WHen folks on this site show their "collections", I look at the reels. You can tell if the angler actually fishes by how many of the reels that are being shown off actually have line on them. :)

I mentioned in a different thread the range between me and the OP, both who are willing to spend money on tackle, is what makes marketing tough. Do you worry about silly things like purple accents, making reels/rods LOOK good, or do you worry about actual things that make them FISH better. You do what sales dictate.

Nothing makes me laugh harder than when folks buy rods and reels that match in colour.....yet others make that their primary focus.

A wide range of interests....and none are wrong!! :)
1-2%

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby BigG » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:35 am

I fished more in the 80's and we weren't so concerned with equipment then. When I moved to Lake G'ville 15 years ago I stated upgrading equipment and fished about 30 days a year (work limited my time). With the extra work came better equipment, I got the good stuff now, but don't fish much even though I'm retired now. 2017 going to be a better year, going to make it happen.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby GOOD YEAR 71 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:22 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:(when I started on this site my eyes literally fell out of my head when I read people were cleaning their corks).

You can tell if the angler actually fishes by how many of the reels that are being shown off actually have line on them. :)

Going to have to disagree with you on a couple things, sir. Cleaning cork with warm soapy water and sponge takes about 30 seconds and I think we can all agree a clean surface is easier to hold than smoothed out oily. It is for me at least and I clean my cork (and eva) several times a year. As for line on spool, you could have a point with some, but others simply choose to provide photo without. As for myself, I often change line like I do my underwear; every 10 days whether I need it or not :-$

I'm with you on color match somewhat. Function first, of course, but if it matches then all the better. If one wears a suit to work there is no more off putting visual than shoes and belt that don't match. Might as well wear two different color socks and fluorescent rainbow tie while you're at it. That may be some, but it sure isn't me.

Best wishes 2017
PEACE

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Mike and Pike » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:16 am

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:
SteveSchmelzle wrote:(when I started on this site my eyes literally fell out of my head when I read people were cleaning their corks).

You can tell if the angler actually fishes by how many of the reels that are being shown off actually have line on them. :)

Going to have to disagree with you on a couple things, sir. Cleaning cork with warm soapy water and sponge takes about 30 seconds and I think we can all agree a clean surface is easier to hold than smoothed out oily. It is for me at least and I clean my cork (and eva) several times a year. As for line on spool, you could have a point with some, but others simply choose to provide photo without. As for myself, I often change line like I do my underwear; every 10 days whether I need it or not :-$

I'm with you on color match somewhat. Function first, of course, but if it matches then all the better. If one wears a suit to work there is no more off putting visual than shoes and belt that don't match. Might as well wear two different color socks and fluorescent rainbow tie while you're at it. That may be some, but it sure isn't me.

Best wishes 2017

I never clean cork unless I am selling the rod.
Cleaning cork actually take away grippy stuff left behind by your hands. If you doubt this, put your hands on a car steering wheel that has not been cleaned in ages. Is it oily or sticky? There is more sticky stuff coming off of our hands than oils.
Last edited by Mike and Pike on Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Mike and Pike » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:20 am

I have about 25 rigs and I use very one or they get traded , sold or given away.
I fish anywhere from every day of the week in nice spring , summer or fall conditions to a couple times a week ice fishing . Everything from tiny flies and bfs to muskie. Primarily muskie.
I like really nice looking combos but I love and rely on really nice fishing combos .

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Lafayette » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:26 am

I always loved tackles/rods.

When I was younger I had plenty of time to fish but not so much money to spend on tackle, so by force I keep it simple and used only one combo for perch, bass, pike, zander,...

Today I have enough money to buy more tackles than I need but I work a lot and I have much less time to fish ( still fish a lot during holidays).

Consequently I suppose buying more tackle than I need is a kind of compensation.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Bootytrain » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:37 am

I'm in this category. I work 6 days a week 10 hours a day. The only day I have to fish is Sunday which I try to do as much as possible. I have way too much tackle to ever be able to use it all on my current schedule. I've got reels that have never seen line and some that he never caught a fish, and several rods I've only used once. I wish I could fish everyday but it's just not in the cards at the moment. But I just can't resist new tackle that catches my attention.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby GOOD YEAR 71 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:44 am

Mike and Pike wrote:I never clean cork unless I am selling the rod.
Cleaning cork actually take away grippy stuff left behind by your hands. If you doubt this, put your hands on a car steering wheel that has not been cleaned in ages. Is it oily or sticky? There is more sticky stuff coming off of our hands than oils.

To each our own I suppose... But what you state defies physics. Cork, or most any surface for that matter, is filled with micro grooves, valleys, holes, some visible to naked eye, some not. This is what provides grip. When that's filled in effective surface area is reduced. To use automotive analogy, think of a tire. If the tread is filled with dirt it does not grip as well.
PEACE

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby cortman » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:55 am

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:

To each our own I suppose... But what you state defies physics. Cork, or most any surface for that matter, is filled with micro grooves, valleys, holes, some visible to naked eye, some not. This is what provides grip. When that's filled in effective surface area is reduced. To use automotive analogy, think of a tire. If the tread is filled with dirt it does not grip as well.

Maybe he means once that gets filled up your hands deposit a layer of sticky stuff on top. Like a filled tire then coated with glue. But that just sounds nasty! :)
I don't get not cleaning cork. It truly takes only 30 seconds max and your rod doesn't look nearly as much like you wiped your butt with it.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Hogsticker2 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:12 am

If I have a chance to hit the water, I'm gone. If I didn't use my nice gear often, I wouldn't own it. I love gear and I love to fish. The two go together like peanut butter and ladies.

Fishing4Fun
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby Fishing4Fun » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:23 am

I am not a collector of things to just sit and display. When I acquire a new piece or combo I will take some pictures of it before it gets line on it. For one it is nice to be able to have proof of what you have for insurance purposes (yes I do save the receipts) and two it is nice to be able to show the tackle enthusiasts of this site what things look like paired together. Everything rod or reel I have has been fished. The amount of time I fish per year is generally well over 25 outings of 4 hours or more. Keep in mind in the Midwest we have about 4 months of the year where it is too cold and the lakes are locked up.

I have over 25 mid to high end combos. Most of them match in both function and looks. Part of it is my OCD for things to match and fit well together. Everything is kept in rod covers or reel covers when not in use. It keeps the wear to a minimum. Just because they aren't beat up doesn't mean they don't get used. [-( I have logged over 30 hours of fishing with the Met MGL and their isn't a mark on it and it has boated darn near a hundred fish.

My tackle is also stored indoors when not in use. During the off season the rods are cleaned and wiped down and the reels are cleaned and serviced. I don't buy and sell things nearly as often as some but I usually acquire a few new pieces every year and then sell some things as I change my lineup up some.

Part of the reason for taking care of everything from its function to looks is to help with re-sell value when the time comes. I reel that is like new will sell for quite a bit more than one that has chips and scratches all over it. Plus when you are buying higher end gear and selling it at some point, the buyers for said items are looking for things in excellent to mint condition.

I have some reels and rods that are beaters or loaner pieces. Lower end items with more wear. Perfect for teaching new anglers, kids, and giving to family members to use. I can see all sides of the equation but this is where I fit in.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Mike and Pike » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:52 am

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:

Absolutely to each his own preference.
It really does not defy logic. What I am doing is making a somewhat sticky surface even more sticky.
If you coat the cork with a sealer, as many ' clean freaks' do, are you sealing over all the grooves , valleys and holes?
My tire analogy is I am putting a sticky ( car steering wheeel not cleaned) substance on my tire to make it even stickier, as a burnout makes the tire stickier than it was produced. Friction is not the only variable, so is adhesion.
I fish a lot of cork handles and have yet to have a dirty or clean one go flying out of my hand or even give me any pause. I know I am not the only guy who likes the feel of dirty cork.

LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LowRange » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:03 am

I clean the cork on my rods because I DESPISE the appearance of dirty cork handle and have grown to dislike cork as a handle material because it. It's all discolored, poke-a-dotted and has chunks coming out of it. Revolting. I also dislike photographs of reels with line on them because I want to see the spool (I find spools interesting) and make an effort to snaps pics of my reels after I have removed the line between re-spooling. I don't give a crap about my cheap Korean OEM reels but my Daiwas are well taken care of.
Last edited by LowRange on Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”