Tackle addict vs fisherman?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tackle addict vs fisherman?

Postby zodiak311 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:47 am

I am a tackle addict and a fisherman.

I like to take care of my stuff. Battle scars are fine, it's part of fishing. But if your junk is just plain dirty, then it is what it is... dirty junk. Gals don't appreciate dirty junk either.

My BFS is what really needs to be polished and pampered, it makes a difference in performance. Imo
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby cortman » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:59 am

zodiak311 wrote:I am a tackle addict and a fisherman.

I like to take care of my stuff. Battle scars are fine, it's part of fishing. But if your junk is just plain dirty, then it is what it is... dirty junk. Gals don't appreciate dirty junk either.

My BFS is what really needs to be polished and pampered, it makes a difference in performance. Imo

This is my opinion put into words very well. Good analogy. :)

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby bigfruits » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:03 am

zodiak311 wrote:

dirty cork handles are kind of nasty but i deal with it and only clean them when its time for u-40 and that is not very often. i dont use my rods to pick up girls, thats what my honda civic is for ;)

I dont baby any of my gear, I buy it to use it. With the St. Croix and Loomis replacement plans, I treat them like $100 rods!
BTW - Ive used both plans twice and all 4 times it was hassle free. Loomis is nice because they ship first, St. Croix because you can trade for another model or upgrade and pay the difference.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby papabassin » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:07 pm

I've always been curious about this topic ever since I found this forum.

For me, I fish as much as I can. And I really enjoy fishing with enthusiast gear which is why I buy it. There's nothing wrong with battle scars but I keep every combo indoors, every rod in a sleeve and keep my gear as clean as I can. I (currently) only have one shelf queen combo, and it's only shelf queen because it's the first combo I ever owned and it started it all. What can I say...I'm sentimental. :lol:

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Postby Teal101 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:46 pm

SteveSchmelzle wrote:I think I run a little different course than most on here, and completely opposite to the OP.

as I fish for multiple species in multiple formats (inland lake, great lakes, streams, etc), I'm up to approx 55 rods/reels at last count.

75% of those are high end, with the rest decent.

My rule is if I don't use a rod in two seasons, I give it away. I don't sell my stuff, because I use my stuff heavily. I don't wash corks, I don't polish reels, and I don't match colours.

Even my 10 NRX rods get treated like the rest...they get fished hard, never washed/cleaned (when I started on this site my eyes literally fell out of my head when I read people were cleaning their corks).

I don't own a single reel that doesn't have line on it.

WHen folks on this site show their "collections", I look at the reels. You can tell if the angler actually fishes by how many of the reels that are being shown off actually have line on them. :)

I mentioned in a different thread the range between me and the OP, both who are willing to spend money on tackle, is what makes marketing tough. Do you worry about silly things like purple accents, making reels/rods LOOK good, or do you worry about actual things that make them FISH better. You do what sales dictate.

Nothing makes me laugh harder than when folks buy rods and reels that match in colour.....yet others make that their primary focus.

A wide range of interests....and none are wrong!! :)

I have almost as many reels that sit and never fish as reels that do fish, and that can be upwards of 200 days on the water a year depending on a few variables. Most of us that collect have two collections, one they fish, another they dont. My fishers get used hard and are generally reels most wouldnt display in a collection due to their condition. They match rods or get color accented, but with fishing reels you can do that and not effect performance at all.

I bass fish primarily, but have rigs for trout and panfish, salmon and steelhead, and musky in not only conventional setups, but fly and spey.

Nothing makes me laugh harder than people who have a narrow outlook on high end collectors and enthusiasts, especially when they talk about how the guys with fancy gear can barely fish and spend more time looking at their gear yet that same type of guy out sacks em in a tournament :lol:

To each their own, this forum has a very broad grouping of enthusiasts, from the guy who fishes non-stop and can only dream of a $150 reel to the guy that fishes a few times a year yet has the best available and everything in between.
I like TD-Z's

ayo8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby ayo8 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:11 pm

I think, most tackle addicts are fisherman's; I know I am. Just because a reel doesn't have line on it, doesn't mean that person isn't an avid fisherman that doesn't enjoy fishing every chance that person gets. Like Teal101 mentioned about some collectors: I have a collection I don't fish, and a collection I do. And they're all high end gear.

As for not cleaning corks: i don't know one avid fisherman that doesn't clean/maintain their gear. Personally, I think its nasty not to clean off rod/reel handles every so often.

@anyrate, do whatever puts a smile on your face; that's all that really matters.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Postby africanbass » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:28 pm

Wish I had more time to fish,2017 will hopefully be different
Spools look better in pics without line 8-)
Strangely enough the pics when I'm holding up a decent bass, my reels have line on them :D
Happiness is a sore thumb

Cracker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Cracker » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:35 pm

I calculated - it takes me spend 100 dollars in order to catch 1 bass according to my annual spending and the number of fish I catch. 90% of that bass is under 2lb. For example, my most recent $750 combo I bough in late summer - caught only 3 bass on it so far, on couple combos I spent $1000 on each early in the year - caught less than 10 bass on each. I doubt I caught more than 10 bass on couple combos I bought in the beginning of the year in 700-800 range each. I call it fishing not catching. Plus on top of that - baits, terminal tackle, line, HH bearings - everything from high end spectrum available on the market (most of that directly from Japan). This is beginning of 2017 and more tackle are coming probably with same outcome :D
Last edited by Cracker on Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Postby africanbass » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:27 pm

Cracker wrote:I calculated - it takes me spend 100 dollars in order to catch 1 bass according to my annual spending and the number of fish I catch. 90% of that bass is under 2lb. For example, my most recent $750 combo I bough in late summer - caught only 3 bass on it so far, on couple combos I spent $1000 on each yearly in the year - caught less than 10 bass on each. I doubt I caught more than 10 bass on couple combos I bought in the beginning of the year in 700-800 range each. I call it fishing not catching. Plus on top of that - baits, terminal tackle, line, HH bearings - everything from high end spectrum available on the market (mostly directly from Japan). This is beginning of 2017 and more tackle are coming probably with same outcome :D

Ended that post with a 'smiley face ' so you are doing well,keep at it
Happiness is a sore thumb

toddmc
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby toddmc » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:00 am

Collecting tackle on its own is great, but not nearly as purposeful or satisfying if you don't fish the stuff. All of the limited tackle being posted on TT is amazing, but I don't own it unless I can fish it. All of my custom rods, tuned reels, custom swimbaits, and other custom baits get fished.
Most of my older reels, like the original Fuego's, Sol's, and Zillions, look and perform like new even though they get fished about 50 days a year because I maintain them very regularly and I cover them when not in use.
I regularly weed out tackle that I no longer fish. I sell it or give it away if I am not willing to fish it in a tournament. It is a constant battle trying to decide what tackle makes the grade because my Champion only holds so much stuff. I am the opposite of a hoarder because I prefer to not have tackle lying around never to be used.

lzeil
Angler
Angler

Postby lzeil » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:55 am

i guess to each his own. my ocd compels me to clean rod/reel after each outing. i have rods/reels that i never fished, as i dont see them as functional tools but works of engineering art. :big grin:

Obz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Obz » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:31 pm

I feel like I am both. It's not just fishing tackle. I've been told I prioritize my hobbies and take no offense. There was a time when I worked to ski, the more I skied the more I desired quality equipment. Now I work to hunt and fish. I'll tell you what quality equipment improves comfort, efficiency, confidence and results. I may never have a big house or a fancy car but I'll have a boat that runs, a truck to pull it, some sick gear and memorable outdoor experiences.. I also admit I do maybe spend too much time just admiring my stuff :big grin: bass gear is pretty

LgMouthGambler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LgMouthGambler » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:31 am

I love my rods and reels. I have spent a good amount of hard earned money on them over the years. I have custom rods, and reels that I have customized with all that "useless" colored stuff. Oh yeah, and I like for my stuff to match because it makes me feel good knowing that not only is my equipment well kept, but its kinda a work of art. See, when I was a young boy I was brought up to respect and take care of what you have, because its all you got. That has come through my whole life with me from BMX bikes, to cars, to fishing equipment, to even my Jon boat. When im done with a reel and rod, its covered, then I grab another one to fish. To each his own, and you wanna trash your equipment that you worked for, thats your choice.
<")))><{

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Mike and Pike » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:56 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:... To each his own, and you wanna trash your equipment that you worked for, thats your choice.

I'm having a hard time finding a single post here that advocates, or poster who utilizes the practice of "trashing equipment".
Can you point out what you are refering to?

It may come as a shock, but those that wash each and every rod and reel after use and then cover them ( from what, a rod rack...?) are the huge minority within the group of people who fish every day. Or at least very often.
I know many here love the tackle more than or at least as much as the fishing aspect. But to compare not cleaning rod and reel after each use , or every other use, to not keeping up on personal hygene or the like is tantamount to those who wash and wax their daily driver cars after each use and then store them in a hermetically sealed vault.

LgMouthGambler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LgMouthGambler » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:05 am

Mike and Pike wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:... To each his own, and you wanna trash your equipment that you worked for, thats your choice.

I'm having a hard time finding a single post here that advocates, or poster who utilizes the practice of "trashing equipment".
Can you point out what you are refering to?

It may come as a shock, but those that wash each and every rod and reel after use and then cover them ( from what, a rod rack...?) are the huge minority within the group of people who fish every day. Or at least very often.
I know many here love the tackle more than or at least as much as the fishing aspect. But to compare not cleaning rod and reel after each use , or every other use, to not keeping up on personal hygene or the like is tantamount to those who wash and wax their daily driver cars after each use and then store them in a hermetically sealed vault.

You look into things too much. Its just a phrase. Just like some thinking we nuts for what we do.
<")))><{

Return to “General”