Rod Weights

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
reason162
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:39 pm

Re: Rod Weights

Postby reason162 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:28 pm

Anyone have weight on a Phenix Maxim 6'10 ML? Or any casting rod in the Maxim series?

QUAKEnSHAKE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 3:11 am
Location: Rockford IL

Re: Rod Weights

Postby QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:25 pm

13 Fishing Omen Black 2 casting
7'6" MH/F
165.25grams
5.829oz

Given the weight of the rod feel the balance could be a little better than it is.

reason162
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:39 pm

Re: Rod Weights

Postby reason162 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:05 am

So I ended up with both Zodias 610 ML and Maxim 610 ML.

Shimano Zodias 6'10 ML casting: 3.87oz
Phenix Maxim 6'10 casting: 3.87oz

Exactly the same weight, but the Zodias is more tip heavy. Phenix Maxim is balancing out right at the nut with a 7oz reel, Zodias about 1.5" forward.

I'm a firm believer on adding weight to balance out rods. For instance, my Lamiglas TFX610C is 5.55oz, but feels MUCH lighter in hand while fishing bottom contact baits. That balance point is right in the middle of the reel, and your hand is the pivot.

Some more random weights:

Shimano Zodias 6'8 spinning Light: 3.41oz

Shimano Crucial (1st gen) 6'8 dropshot spinning: 3.48oz

Shimano Crucial (1st gen) 7'2 dropshot spinning: 3.83oz

Shimano Trevala S 6' ML Casting: 5.27 oz

User avatar
ccass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1038
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Michigan (U.P)

Re: Rod Weights

Postby ccass » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:24 pm

Steez AGS 7'1" MH - 4.3oz (super balanced)
Steez Fle X Lite 7' M -4.4oz
Zillion 8' Glass Crank Rod - 7.3oz (balanced, seems lighter)

St Croix Legend Xtreme 7' MF- 4.5oz

G Loomis NRX 852c - 3.7oz

User avatar
Mothercanucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Rod Weights

Postby Mothercanucker » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:18 pm

Anyone weigh a 6'10 ml Poison Adrena?

User avatar
21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1486
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:54 pm
Location: sacramento, california

Re: Rod Weights

Postby 21farms » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:49 pm

just received the new g.loomis IMX reaction 812C SBR: 4.3 ounces

QUAKEnSHAKE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 3:11 am
Location: Rockford IL

Re: Rod Weights

Postby QUAKEnSHAKE » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:49 am

Fenwick Elite Tech Bass 7'6" MH/F 154.16grams 5.4378ounces


Fenwick nailed the weight with their listing @ 5.43oz =D>

Chode
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Re: Rod Weights

Postby Chode » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:12 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Fenwick Elite Tech Bass 7'6" MH/F 154.16grams 5.4378ounces


Fenwick nailed the weight with their listing @ 5.43oz =D>


that's some quality control right there.

Bass1980
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Rod Weights

Postby Bass1980 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:07 pm

X7 Simoom - 4.43oz
X7 Cyclone Advantage - 4.19oz
X7 Western Flip - 4.7oz
X7 Extreme Mission - 4.72oz
X7 Aaron Martens - 4.97oz
Phase 3 Nautilus - 4.61oz
Phase 3 Record Breaker - 5.12oz

Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:31 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Rod Weights

Postby Cyacnba » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:47 am

Does anyone know the weight of the Daiwa Tatula 6'10MH casting rod?

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1486
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:54 pm
Location: sacramento, california

Re: Rod Weights

Postby 21farms » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:55 am

  • g.loomis NRX 822S DSR blue: 3.6 ounces
  • g.loomis NRX 823S SYR blue: 3.8 ounces
  • g.loomis NRX 822S SYR green: 3.6 ounces
my green NRX 822S SYR is slightly heavier than the two blues ones that were reported in this thread. i'm not sure if that's due to: 1) rod variability, 2) scale variability, 3) the switch from 3M powerlux resin to another different resin, or 4) the green paint and glossy clearcoat that the blue NRXs do not have. i dunno...maybe a combination of them all.

User avatar
Mothercanucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Rod Weights

Postby Mothercanucker » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:31 am

Anyone have a weight on the MEGABASS 2015 HEDGEHOG EVOLUTION - F4ST-69RSDTI ?

User avatar
Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 969
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:42 am
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: Rod Weights

Postby Bassmar » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:30 pm

21farms wrote:
  • g.loomis NRX 822S DSR blue: 3.6 ounces
  • g.loomis NRX 823S SYR blue: 3.8 ounces
  • g.loomis NRX 822S SYR green: 3.6 ounces
my green NRX 822S SYR is slightly heavier than the two blues ones that were reported in this thread. i'm not sure if that's due to: 1) rod variability, 2) scale variability, 3) the switch from 3M powerlux resin to another different resin, or 4) the green paint and glossy clearcoat that the blue NRXs do not have. i dunno...maybe a combination of them all.



My green NRX SYR 822S weighs 3.35oz. And yes, I have cross checked the accuracy of the scale using a known weight. :)

Chode
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Re: Rod Weights

Postby Chode » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:07 pm

Bassmar wrote:
21farms wrote:
  • g.loomis NRX 822S DSR blue: 3.6 ounces
  • g.loomis NRX 823S SYR blue: 3.8 ounces
  • g.loomis NRX 822S SYR green: 3.6 ounces
my green NRX 822S SYR is slightly heavier than the two blues ones that were reported in this thread. i'm not sure if that's due to: 1) rod variability, 2) scale variability, 3) the switch from 3M powerlux resin to another different resin, or 4) the green paint and glossy clearcoat that the blue NRXs do not have. i dunno...maybe a combination of them all.



My green NRX SYR 822S weighs 3.35oz. And yes, I have cross checked the accuracy of the scale using a known weight. :)


Man that's a pretty big discrepancy in weight

User avatar
21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1486
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:54 pm
Location: sacramento, california

Re: Rod Weights

Postby 21farms » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:39 pm

Bassmar wrote:
21farms wrote:
  • g.loomis NRX 822S DSR blue: 3.6 ounces
  • g.loomis NRX 823S SYR blue: 3.8 ounces
  • g.loomis NRX 822S SYR green: 3.6 ounces
my green NRX 822S SYR is slightly heavier than the two blues ones that were reported in this thread. i'm not sure if that's due to: 1) rod variability, 2) scale variability, 3) the switch from 3M powerlux resin to another different resin, or 4) the green paint and glossy clearcoat that the blue NRXs do not have. i dunno...maybe a combination of them all.

My green NRX SYR 822S weighs 3.35oz. And yes, I have cross checked the accuracy of the scale using a known weight. :)

bassmar, thank you very much the info...it was exactly what i was hoping for. i have two scales, both checked for accuracy, that i use to double-check my weights. i'm more convinced than ever that the alternate resin loomis now uses in their NRX blanks is heavier since all my NRXs are newer and are post-3M powerlux. regardless, i am totally digging my NRXs \:D/


Return to “Rods”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Obz and 18 guests