new spinning rod (GL2, Elite Tech, or Avid)

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.

new spinning rod (GL2, Elite Tech, or Avid)

Postby muskyhunter » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:41 pm

Currently have a few spinning rods but want new rod that is lighter and more sensitive.

I am shimano fan for sub $200 but I tried the new compre and crucial but i found the new rods too tip heavy.

I am looking at a Medium action for Gulp Leeches and split shot live bait. I am now deciding between these three rods. Which one would you get? It will be paired with a Stradic 2500 CI4 or Stradic 1000 FJ. Budget is $200.

Gloomis GL2 852S JWR - 7' 1" Med X-Fast $195
Fenwick Elite Tech SM 6'9" Med X-Fast $99
St. Croix Avid 6'9" Med X-Fast $180
muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: new spinning rod (GL2, Elite Tech, or Avid)

Postby tywithay » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:55 am

I'd go with the Avid. The elite tech is a fine rod for the money, but not on an Avid level. I have that same GL2,I like the action and taper of it, and the reel seat is amongst the most comfortable I've ever handled ; everything else about the rod is inferior. For a $200 rod the guides are garbage and you can find much better blanks for $120, it disappointed me.

If you want the best rod available, look for a clearance Cumara. It has great blank, components, and action. They can be had for around $160-170 if you look around.
tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby smalljaw » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:56 am

I respect Tywithay but the Elite Tech is a better rod at a better price than the Avid. My neighbor is a big Croix fan and when I got my Elite Tech smallmouth rod he went with me to try it out, I had the 6'9" M-XF spinning and at the end of the trip my neighbor and friend sold 1 of his many Avid spinning rods and got an Elite Tech. As far as performance they are very close but the Elite tech is either lighter or better balanced as you can feel the difference and the reel seat is so nice to hold that it makes using it all day one of the easiest things to do. On the sensitivity side, we were fishinging in late Octorber using mono and a 3/16oz shaky head in 26' of water and we could feel light bites and were catching fish after fish. That was the day I became a big fan of the smallmouth series and I now have 3 of them, the spinning replaced my GL3 which is now my grandsons rod.
smalljaw
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby roy smallie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:12 pm

I have many Avid rods, brought 2 of the elite-Tech smallmouth rods and love them......

On my annual Maine week long Smallie trip the Avids never made it out of their cloth sacks.....Plus if you check out Amazon.com you can get the Fenwick elite-Techs for as low as 80-85$...Cannot beat them for that price but still would gladly pay the 129.95 retail value....

Looking forward to the Fenwick Aetos series....Surprised no write up on them....
roy smallie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby muskyhunter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:41 am

tested out the three rods and the elite tech is the more lighter and sensitive rod...add the lifetime warranty and ti guides i think i will purchase the 6'9" MXF. I would believe based on feel the rod is 3-3.5 oz only. Very similar to Fuego spinning lineup with regards to weight.
muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby NJ Jigman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:01 pm

I bought my dad the SM Elite Tech for Christmas and he loves it. I got him the 6'9'' ML for finesse fishing and its a sweet rod, and you can find them cheap too.
NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby angry john » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:25 pm

i love my fenwick medium fast spinning rod. I prefer my avid casting rod as i have the fenwick casting rod as well. The reel seat on the spinning setup is great, my hands are to big for the casting version, but i got it because i loved the spinning rod so much. For the money the fenwick rod is great, and i dont think you loose anything. I just need the full cork handle on a casting rod.

+1 fenwick spinning. \:D/
angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby Teal101 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:27 pm

This thread just convinced me to get an Elite Tech SM rod instead of a Dobyns Saavy, thanks TT :mrgreen:
Teal101
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby mdesouza » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:32 pm

I too would go with the elite tech rods. But based on what you want to do, I'd go with the 69ml.

Mike D
mdesouza
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby angry john » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:58 pm

i would not go with a ML only because i think the power of the ET rods is less then the same rated st croix. My medium , fast action pole is more of a medium light than a medium when compared to a croix. I love it, don't get me wrong, it is just a tad over rated on power. I have handled some decent sized fish including a 9lb carp, but its not full of gusto. I would never try and power a decent sized smallmouth out of cover with my rod. By decent i mean 16 inch or greater!
angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby smalljaw » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:35 am

angry john wrote:i would not go with a ML only because i think the power of the ET rods is less then the same rated st croix. My medium , fast action pole is more of a medium light than a medium when compared to a croix. I love it, don't get me wrong, it is just a tad over rated on power. I have handled some decent sized fish including a 9lb carp, but its not full of gusto. I would never try and power a decent sized smallmouth out of cover with my rod. By decent i mean 16 inch or greater!

You are correct, St.Croix under rates their rod line up, a St.Croix ML is everyone elses medium, Abu Garcia V series ros are the same way, their medium is more like a medium heavy. I did find my medium elite tech smallmouth rod to have an astonishing amount of power for how light it is, and the blanks just feel alive in my hands and the price can't be beat.
smalljaw
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby angry john » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:10 pm

they are great rods, and i think everyone should have one. Just making sure, if a croix was in the mix to help compare power.
angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby ChrisD46 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:57 am

Which Elite Tech Small Mouth model would you use for drop shot - 6' 9" ML or 6' 9" M ?
ChrisD46
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby muskyhunter » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:50 am

I like a little more backbone so i would go with the M. The M on the elite tech is softer then a M on my Legend Tournament and Legend Extreme.
muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Return to Rods