Most sensitive rod for wacky Senkos?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.

Most sensitive rod for wacky Senkos?

Postby skeletor6 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:12 pm

Hello,

I decided I am going to dedicate a rod specifically for Senko fishing. At the moment, all of my gear is casting and I have been having to use my best rod at the moment (893c NRX) to senko fish. While it works very well for this technique, I figure I am better off jigging and t-rigging with this rod and getting a rod that will always have a wacky rigged senko on it.

So I was wondering what is the most sensitive rod that I could use for wacky 5'' Senkos? Would a spinning rod be more sensitive for fishing senkos, or would a casting rod, or is there no difference? I have no problem casting weightless baits with casting equipment so that is not my concern. Sensitivity is.

I would like to know the best choices in the following three price ranges. <$200, <$300, <$500. I am unsure at the moment as how much I should spend yet on such a setup. So I would like to know my options. Thank you!
skeletor6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Most sensitive rod for wacky Senkos?

Postby Big Al » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:39 am

The most sensitive rod I have is my St Croix Legend Extreme. I think the 6'8" med xfast would do nicely. St Croix makes this model in most of their lineup.
Big Al
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby muskyhunter » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:07 am

Big Al wrote:The most sensitive rod I have is my St Croix Legend Extreme. I think the 6'8" med xfast would do nicely. St Croix makes this model in most of their lineup.

i had the same LE rod but found it tip heavy, switched to a NRX 803 and found the balance a better. if money is no issue i'd go nrx or zbone 6'8"/6'9" in medium heavy.
muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby USA-RET » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:12 am

Not sure you're going to find one better than the NRX you are using. Perhaps grabbing a different NRX for your T-Rig applications would be a better move. I had the opportunity to fish an NRX 873C CRR and think that would be my choice for worm and jigs over the JWR 893.

Phenix make a quality rod in the MBX Classic line (however sensitivity is between an IMX and GLX IMO) so you are sacrificing in that department.

I might suggest you pick up a Megabass Orochi F6-72X4 Destruction as you dedicated Worm and Jig rod (this rod is amazing) or maybe the Megabass Orochi F5-68X4 Super Orochi if you want a shorter an slightly less powerful rod and use the NRX for wacky rigs.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. :D
USA-RET
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby WoodT » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:07 am

Among rods I've used...not sure what size you use, and in what conditions with what type of line and reel.

<200 MSRP
St Croix Avid series (medium)

<300
Shimano Cumara (the new series...obviously haven't tried, but same blank as Cumulus was, and those are crazy good)
Dobyns D702/703

<500
DX702/703
St Croix legend elite LEC70M
Shimano Cumulus cmlc610
NRX 852 (recommend this if you already love NRX...you will need the right reel as these do not load well with total weights under 3/8)

There are a ton of options, and more if you wait for a sale or get a demo rod. A demo NRX 852 or 853 at TheHookUpTackle for 315-350 would be the route I would go based on the assumptions I am making based on how and when I fish wacky style, as well as your current rod (hard to find a rod as sensitive as NRXs IMO). I tend towards lighter rods in more open water conditions, always braid plus flouro, I recommend those eco pro weights, and I use Jackall wacky worms. I use either a Core 50 or a PX68. All will match well with the rods listed, though I do not like mixing Daiwa and Cumulus together for religious reasons.
WoodT
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby bongripbeana » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:35 am

Idk if its the "most" sensitive, but for me, the DX743C is straight money for 4 & 5" senkos.
bongripbeana
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Black Haze » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:57 am

get another 893NRX......or a 893 glx would work.......both are good jig and senko rods...
Last edited by Black Haze on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black Haze
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Hogsticker2 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:17 am

Being I'm always in the minority liking shorter rods, I use a Falcon Cara T7 Micro Guide rod. 6'7" (weightless worm). The Cara series are some of the most sensitive blanks I have used, no bling, just performance. At 220 bucks they are great paired with my Daiwa Sol. Remember, the line you choose is half the sensitivity battle IMO.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Evs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:08 pm

I throw my wacky senkos on a NRX 852S. I am typically throwing them in open water for smallies so there isn't a ton of cover around. I throw them with 10-15lb Power Pro Super slick 8 and a fluoro lead.

I have heard great things about a Core 50/NRX 852C combo...
Evs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Redfish » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:49 pm

I also dont think you can get much better than the NRX you are throwing them on now. I use a DX743 myself, but have fished a NRX before and it was nice also.
Redfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby skeletor6 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:06 pm

Thank you guys for all of the suggestions.

To clear up some questions, I going to be using Seaguar Tatsu Fluorocarbon for this wacky rig. I do not know which pound test yet though. I figured fluorocarbon would be best since wacky rigs is basically a slack line technique. Is that correct?

I will either be using a Shimano Curado 50e, or a Shimano Chronarch 50mg. If I have to, I can go with a different reel, but the 50e has launched weightless wacky senkos no problem with my NRX 893c. If the NRX 893c is the best wacky senko rod should I be looking to get a different jig rod? I figured I would be using this rod for jigs and t-rigs.

I can get a pretty good deal on a new NRX 854c, and heard great things about the Dobyns Extreme 744c. But the NRX 893c is my best rod at the moment by far. Next closest is a IMX mbr 844 and Legend Tournament Bass 7' MHXF, hence the need for new rods.

Thank you all for the responses thus far.
skeletor6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby wiscmike » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:54 am

Ive been sitting back watching these replies come in since youve first posted. I hesitated to respond as i have never used an NRX. My first honest thought was , if your truly wacky senko fishing , that should be done on a slack line. Im not certain the "most sensitive rod" is necessary. Please dont get me wrong , I personally use a Dx743c but its the way the rod loads up on the cast and total action of the rod why i chose it. Jig fishing is where i would want the most sensitive rod for feeling your bottom contact. Of your choices , i dont think you can make a bad one. =D>
wiscmike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby bladerunner » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:59 am

Big Al wrote:The most sensitive rod I have is my St Croix Legend Extreme. I think the 6'8" med xfast would do nicely. St Croix makes this model in most of their lineup.

I would disagree with this one. I wacky rig Senkos 99% of the time - I have used this rod - I think it is better suited to lighter plastics than a Senko. St. Croix rods are AWESOME - I just think something MH in a 7' range is better suited. Definitely baitcaster. I use spinning reels for weightless finesse worms wacky rigged - but a Senko is entirely a different animal than a Zoom finesse worm. I can't afford rods over $200 so I haven't tried the Legend Exteme but I have used other St. Croixs and I can tell you this "model is a little weak for Senkos". The tip is too soft and where the transition takes place I lose feel for hooksets. (IMO) Medium Heavy Rods sling Senkos accurately and have power to spare for hooksets. I throw wacky-rigged Senkos in open water AND heavy cover with the same setup and it is magical. I am in the process of looking for a new MH rod for this application. Currently I use a 6'9 MH Veritas. I want a Powell that is 7'2" next.
bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby bladerunner » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:28 am

skeletor6 wrote:Thank you guys for all of the suggestions.

To clear up some questions, I going to be using Seaguar Tatsu Fluorocarbon for this wacky rig. I do not know which pound test yet though. I figured fluorocarbon would be best since wacky rigs is basically a slack line technique. Is that correct?

I will either be using a Shimano Curado 50e, or a Shimano Chronarch 50mg. If I have to, I can go with a different reel, but the 50e has launched weightless wacky senkos no problem with my NRX 893c. If the NRX 893c is the best wacky senko rod should I be looking to get a different jig rod? I figured I would be using this rod for jigs and t-rigs.

I can get a pretty good deal on a new NRX 854c, and heard great things about the Dobyns Extreme 744c. But the NRX 893c is my best rod at the moment by far. Next closest is a IMX mbr 844 and Legend Tournament Bass 7' MHXF, hence the need for new rods.

Thank you all for the responses thus far.

I would use P-Line Voltage in 8 pound. or !0. Fluoro dosen't add anything except knicked line that needs monitoring.
bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby smalljaw » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:13 am

bladerunner wrote:

I would disagree with this one. I wacky rig Senkos 99% of the time - I have used this rod - I think it is better suited to lighter plastics than a Senko. St. Croix rods are AWESOME - I just think something MH in a 7' range is better suited. Definitely baitcaster. I use spinning reels for weightless finesse worms wacky rigged - but a Senko is entirely a different animal than a Zoom finesse worm. I can't afford rods over $200 so I haven't tried the Legend Exteme but I have used other St. Croixs and I can tell you this "model is a little weak for Senkos". The tip is too soft and where the transition takes place I lose feel for hooksets. (IMO) Medium Heavy Rods sling Senkos accurately and have power to spare for hooksets. I throw wacky-rigged Senkos in open water AND heavy cover with the same setup and it is magical. I am in the process of looking for a new MH rod for this application. Currently I use a 6'9 MH Veritas. I want a Powell that is 7'2" next.

I don't want to cause an argument but my friend and neighbor loves St.Croix and he has the 6'8" M-XF and it is more than stout enough for wacky rigged senko fishing, in fact most of the St.Croix medium power rods are more like MH from other manufacturers and the sneko can be used spinning or casting, it is one of the reasons that bait is so popular as it is heavy enough to throw on casting gear without added weight and it isn't so heavy that a good medium powered spinning rod can't handle it. I'm sorry to have a different point of view but my friend uses that exact same rod to wacky rig all the time and he hasn't changed since it seems to work for him.
smalljaw
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Next

Return to Rods