Kistler klx?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.

Kistler klx?

Postby Mattpusa » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:23 pm

Honestly is there any rod better than the kistler klx at its price range? Really looking forward to what people have to say!
Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Kistler klx?

Postby Hogsticker2 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:44 am

That's a very subjective question. You sure are posting a lot of different threads about or containing these rods. What's the deal? Don't think you're gonna get much more information than what you have already gathered by starting yet another thread. Be patient. I don't think a lot of folks have these just yet. If it was a new Dobyns rod you would have enough feedback to make your head spin. That should tell you something right there.
User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
 
Posts: 2665
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: Kistler klx?

Postby Mattpusa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:01 am

Ok just trying to get feed back that's all. Just trying to find the right rod in my price range
Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Kistler klx?

Postby Hogsticker2 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:52 pm

I didn't mean to offend you, and keep posting as much as you like. Ya won't get answers if ya don't ask the questions :D Lets' see, best rod in it's price range. Well, if you can get a hold of some discount codes (I have one if you choose Kistler), that will bring the rod down to roughly 135 bucks. So my response would be NO, you will NOT find a better rod for 135 bucks. Phenix makes some nice stuff at the retail price of the KLX, Powell Endurance is another one. BUT, they don't have that North Fork blank, or those fuji tangle free micro guides. The rods are clean. I mean both build and cosmetics. I like clean. No overpowering bright labels, just a charcoal non sanded blank. I'm very happy that Kistler did not stray away from the fuji ECS reel seats (best, tried, and true IMO). These rods come partially technique specific, but the actions and tapers are wonderful making these anything but a one hit wonder stick. I can say this. I own a Cumara, Zillion, Omen Black, Endurance, and a Savvy at this point. They all hold there spots, but if I'm trucking to the river side for a little bank tossing...I'm bringing my KLX and whatever reel I decide to mount on it that day :mrgreen: Just keep in mind Kistler does not offer the best customer service, and that's a big part of the equation, likely why a lot of folks aren't jumping on these rods. You can get a nice rod from 13, St. Croix, or Shimano and the customer service is 2nd to none. Oh yeah, the cork could be of better quality, but that holds true with any new rod these days.
User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
 
Posts: 2665
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: Kistler klx?

Postby Mattpusa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:44 pm

I own a carbon steel now it's a great rod just wish it was more sensitive that's like trey kistler told me himself u get what u pay for
Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Kistler klx?

Postby smalljaw » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:45 pm

Hogsticker gave you some really good advise, and the carbon steel is an entry level rod that I feel you could do a heck of a lot better in that price range. As for the new KLX, I'm not a big fan of Kistler tapers, there actions seem too slow for what I fish because I only use braid of frog fishing an heavy flipping and the LTA and the magneiums seem to be built with a taper designed for super lines with the slower action so I'm watching to see if that is the case with the KLX.
smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
 
Posts: 1580
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:51 am
Location: East Centrl Pennsylvania

Re: Kistler klx?

Postby tywithay » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:33 pm

I've heard in certain circles that the KLX uses the same blank as the Z-Bone ST. If this is truly the case, then I highly doubt you'll find a better rod for the money. Especially using coupon codes, as was already mentioned. Only buy that rivals it is the 13 Omen rods. During a 20% sale you can buy 2 for the price of a KLX and they're ridiculously nice for that price.
tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
 
Posts: 2250
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Kistler klx?

Postby Mattpusa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:22 pm

Truly the only reason I got the carbon steel was because the omens were out of stock till the first of march and I needed rod for a Toledo bend trip I made this weeked
Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Kistler klx?

Postby sarcazmo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:33 pm

Can anyone elaborate a little more on the 13 fishing Omen vs the KLX?

I currently own 2 Omens and love em to death. Honestly theyre my fav rods atm. Was looking to add another rod or two to the collection and the KLX seem like an outstanding value! I was specifically looking to add one for Carolina Rigs (of which I have zero confidence in) and spinner baits.

Can anyone compare these 2? Sensitivity similar?> Better? Kistler promo codes? :mrgreen:
sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Kistler klx?

Postby Hogsticker2 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:39 pm

sarcazmo wrote:Can anyone elaborate a little more on the 13 fishing Omen vs the KLX?

I currently own 2 Omens and love em to death. Honestly theyre my fav rods atm. Was looking to add another rod or two to the collection and the KLX seem like an outstanding value! I was specifically looking to add one for Carolina Rigs (of which I have zero confidence in) and spinner baits.

Can anyone compare these 2? Sensitivity similar?> Better? Kistler promo codes? :mrgreen:

I think what Tywithay was saying is that the omen black is a stellar buy at 100 bucks. Not nec. a better stick than the KLX, but possibly a better value per monies spent. As far as the tapers being the same on the KLX vs. the magnesium, well the blanks are a totally different animal. The NFC blanks are much thinner, making the tips behave quite a bit a different IMO. I'm sure Kistler is sourcing the blanks on the carbon steel from the same as the mags and heliums, so again, NFC blanks are going to offer a totally different build and experience.
User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
 
Posts: 2665
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: Kistler klx?

Postby dragon1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:14 am

Apparently a young, soon to be bass college guy (and his mother) that I met on the water yesterday, swears that the KLX blanks are 100% designed/rolled/manufactured by Kistler in house.

Is this true? If so, great to hear of this.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
 
Posts: 8533
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 am
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: Kistler klx?

Postby thelatrobe33 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:24 am

dragon1 wrote:Apparently a young, soon to be bass college guy (and his mother) that I met on the water yesterday, swears that the KLX blanks are 100% designed/rolled/manufactured by Kistler in house.

Is this true? If so, great to hear of this.


False... directly from Kistler site:

"The handcrafted KLX is anchored by a 42.7 Million Modulus blank with fiberglass scrim designed and built by Gary Loomis in his North Fork Composites LLC plant"

Blanks are designed by Trey and Gary Loomis and rolled in Washington at NFC.
User avatar
thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
 
Posts: 1199
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:00 am
Location: NE Ohio

Re: Kistler klx?

Postby sarcazmo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:45 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
sarcazmo wrote:Can anyone elaborate a little more on the 13 fishing Omen vs the KLX?

I currently own 2 Omens and love em to death. Honestly theyre my fav rods atm. Was looking to add another rod or two to the collection and the KLX seem like an outstanding value! I was specifically looking to add one for Carolina Rigs (of which I have zero confidence in) and spinner baits.

Can anyone compare these 2? Sensitivity similar?> Better? Kistler promo codes? :mrgreen:

I think what Tywithay was saying is that the omen black is a stellar buy at 100 bucks. Not nec. a better stick than the KLX, but possibly a better value per monies spent. As far as the tapers being the same on the KLX vs. the magnesium, well the blanks are a totally different animal. The NFC blanks are much thinner, making the tips behave quite a bit a different IMO. I'm sure Kistler is sourcing the blanks on the carbon steel from the same as the mags and heliums, so again, NFC blanks are going to offer a totally different build and experience.


I'm all about value so a couple KLX will probably be my next rods...

So that being out of the way I see they have a couple choices for carolina rig. A MH and H. I have zero confidence in thie presentation style and am looking to improve upon it. Any recommendaitons on which one? I'll probably pick up a rod for spinnerbaits while I'm at it.
sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:32 pm


Return to Rods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Trout Assassin and 5 guests