rattling baits rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.

rattling baits rod

Postby RANGER07 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:26 am

What in your opinions is the best rod for rippin traps and lipless baits in the grass? :D
RANGER07
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: rattling baits rod

Postby spencerinstl » Mon May 20, 2013 9:09 am

Gloomis GLX 855 CBR.
spencerinstl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Finnz922 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:28 am

My Megabass X4 Black Elseil is doing a superb job handling lipless baits.
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby dragon1 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:51 am

What size lipless?

1/2 - 1oz in medium to heavy weeds, I like a heavy power. I have not fished the CBR 855 GLX, but am sure the extra crispness and speed of the tip would help (granted that I would not power fish as hard with a GLX CB vs a standard CB blank in the ShimLoomis lineup).

Others that have worked for me:

CB 847

MBR 843 IMX/GLX

Mudhole MHX CB 907

Phenix 707MH UMBX Classic

I will say that for me, braid with a leader helps with the rippin' outta the weeds deal.

Good luck!
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby BucketHunter » Mon May 20, 2013 11:51 am

I just tried this with the Aetos 7'4" M that I bought for this purpose and it's great. Nice long handle for two handed bombs, fast action to snap out of the weeds, and the medium power has some parabolic bend to it under load to allow for some play. I am going to adjust the line between all braid/all flour or a leader combo get the right amount of stretch and snap.
awesome rods if you can get them at a good price.
BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby dragon1 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:08 pm

Rod + line + lure weight + cover and size of quarry will change...and sometimes over the course of the season in the same body of water.

I was fishing my Seeker CSW 808 custom this past Sunday on 17lb CXX and was bombing Xcalibur XR and XRK 75 and 100s a LONG way...as long as on 50lb braid on my custom MHX CB907. With Seeker even with CXX co-poly absolutely manhandled the bass up to 4lbs and still did very well with keeping the trebles buttoned down due to the softer loading, truely parabolic S Glass blank.

Lots of rods will work.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Hooked_On_Bass » Mon May 20, 2013 12:14 pm

spencerinstl wrote:Gloomis GLX 855 CBR.

Yep, just picked up the above rod for this technique. Feels great in hand!

Can't give my experiences yet, bass doesn't open until June. :(
Hooked_On_Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby spencerinstl » Mon May 20, 2013 12:17 pm

The new GLX 855 CBR was designed for ripping baits from grass here is they're description of the rod. "The GLX 855CBR from G. Loomis Rods is a model from the crankbait line of the new GLX Series of bass fishing rods. This is a specialty crankbait rod, designed for ripping lipless crankbaits like Rat'l Traps and LVR's in the grass. It has a moderate-fast action that's slightly stiffer than our standard crankbait taper to help move the bait enough so it can break free of the grass and still have some room to work it's magic without just flexing the rod. It will handle virtually any size bass and for those that may prefer a little stiffer crankbait rod, and some do, it's a good choice deep-diving baits as well. We recommend the G. Loomis GLX 855CBR for lipless crankbaits that are often purposely hung in grass and ripped free to elicit strikes from big bass. Anglers all over the country have discovered the benefits to a good "trap" rod and this particular model of the GLX Crankbait series is about the most perfect lipless crankbait rod ever made." While there may be heavier rods out there for the nasty stuff this rod is a pretty sweet rattle trap rod.
spencerinstl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Mnbasser » Tue May 21, 2013 2:25 am

spencerinstl wrote:Gloomis GLX 855 CBR.

X2. Recently purchased this rod and absolutely love it for this application
Mnbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Return to Rods