What is hands down the MOST...

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Chode
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What is hands down the MOST...

Postby Chode » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:39 pm

BlaineFred wrote:This is a very informative post, and one result is that I bought an NRX 853, and a 852 is on the way. I have a number of the rods that some people have listed such as the Dobyns DX baitcasters, Phenix Recons, and Envy Black. My Christmas wish list includes a K2. Sensitive rods are a priority.

I reviewed the posts, and some people list one brand and model of rods. The problem I see is that they may not have used most of the rods, and they still present their opinions. For example, a post says that a St. Croix Legend Xtreme is the most sensitive, or a Phenix. BUT have they used an NRX of a Z-Bone to compare???

hey, I've been looking into the envy black and sensitivity is probably the most important thing to me...how would u compare it to maybe the dx series or the glx in terms of sensivity...mainly used for bottom contanct like 1/4-1/2oz jigs, trigs, and shakey...thx in advance

Chode
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby Chode » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:40 pm

Vince Borges wrote:Man I shouldn't post this,,,, but what the heck. At the FLW cup we had just received 6 new and different designs of the K2 production rod. Some had EVA, some had cork and some had a blend of different corks. We are in the process of narrowing it down to what is going to be the stock K2 production rod released in the next 3-6 months. Another thing we are playing with is guide size, trigger styles, etc.. So not to much longer!! By the way,, ALL felt amazing!!

do u know roughly the price pt?

skeletor6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby skeletor6 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:26 am

Chode wrote:
BlaineFred wrote:This is a very informative post, and one result is that I bought an NRX 853, and a 852 is on the way. I have a number of the rods that some people have listed such as the Dobyns DX baitcasters, Phenix Recons, and Envy Black. My Christmas wish list includes a K2. Sensitive rods are a priority.

I reviewed the posts, and some people list one brand and model of rods. The problem I see is that they may not have used most of the rods, and they still present their opinions. For example, a post says that a St. Croix Legend Xtreme is the most sensitive, or a Phenix. BUT have they used an NRX of a Z-Bone to compare???

hey, I've been looking into the envy black and sensitivity is probably the most important thing to me...how would u compare it to maybe the dx series or the glx in terms of sensivity...mainly used for bottom contanct like 1/4-1/2oz jigs, trigs, and shakey...thx in advance

Perhaps you should start a new thread on this. But the envy blacks are nowhere near as sensitive as a glx or dx. You get what you pay for. The envys are good for their price, but the dx and glx are on a whole different level which is justified by their cost.

Vince, very excited to hear about a production k2 rod. Will definitely be looking to purchase one upon release.

Chode
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby Chode » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:37 am

skeletor6 wrote:
Chode wrote:

Perhaps you should start a new thread on this. But the envy blacks are nowhere near as sensitive as a glx or dx. You get what you pay for. The envys are good for their price, but the dx and glx are on a whole different level which is justified by their cost.

Vince, very excited to hear about a production k2 rod. Will definitely be looking to purchase one upon release.

i'm confused about ur comments on a couple of accounts. First off, y say my question should be posted on a new thread? I started this thread so I can get a better understanding of what people feel about sensitivity so I don't understand y this needs to be moved.

2ndly, the envy is closer in price to the dx than the dx is to the glx so y wouldn't the envy be in the same class especially since dx used to be priced right at $300?

just confused about ur comments in general

skeletor6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby skeletor6 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:02 am

Chode wrote:
skeletor6 wrote:
Chode wrote:

i'm confused about ur comments on a couple of accounts. First off, y say my question should be posted on a new thread? I started this thread so I can get a better understanding of what people feel about sensitivity so I don't understand y this needs to be moved.

2ndly, the envy is closer in price to the dx than the dx is to the glx so y wouldn't the envy be in the same class especially since dx used to be priced right at $300?

The thread asks the question "What is hands down the most sensitive rod you've used?" You are asking a comparative question asking if a certain rod is as sensitive as other rods. I said perhaps you should ask the question in a new thread. I feel your question will not only be more on topic, but get more exposure since it won't be 9 pages deep on a thread where users post the most sensitive rod they have used.

Anyways, I got mixed up, I thought you were talking about the Omen, not the Envy. Those are a little closer in price. base prices for similar length version are $249.99 vs $319.99 or $329.99. Or in the GLX's case they retail for about $455 which is $200 more.

Anyways, the envY is closer up there in sensitivity. I've found, in its a price range a Cumara A to be a tad more sensitive. The DX to be much better balanced, and I could detect bottom composition a little better, but I have used the rod more which could be a reason for that. Also, the GLX is slightly more sensitive than the DX in my experience, but not as well balanced. Of all the rods mentioned, I have spent the least amount of time fishing the Envy. And I only have one model of the envy the 7'3'' MHXF. Perhaps more time with the rod will help, but as of right now I only have 15 hours on it.

With any of the rods mentioned, you will not have trouble detecting bites or standard bottom composition. It is the really subtle nuances that higher sensitive rods are able to transmit. Such as very light pickups on a jig.

Chode
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby Chode » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:09 am

skeletor6 wrote:
Chode wrote:
skeletor6 wrote:
Chode wrote:

The thread asks the question "What is hands down the most sensitive rod you've used?" You are asking a comparative question asking if a certain rod is as sensitive as other rods. I said perhaps you should ask the question in a new thread. I feel your question will not only be more on topic, but get more exposure since it won't be 9 pages deep on a thread where users post the most sensitive rod they have used.

Anyways, I got mixed up, I thought you were talking about the Omen, not the Envy. Those are a little closer in price. base prices for similar length version are $249.99 vs $319.99 or $329.99. Or in the GLX's case they retail for about $455 which is $200 more.

Anyways, the envY is closer up there in sensitivity. I've found, in its a price range a Cumara A to be a tad more sensitive. The DX to be much better balanced, and I could detect bottom composition a little better, but I have used the rod more which could be a reason for that. Also, the GLX is slightly more sensitive than the DX in my experience, but not as well balanced. Of all the rods mentioned, I have spent the least amount of time fishing the Envy. And I only have one model of the envy the 7'3'' MHXF. Perhaps more time with the rod will help, but as of right now I only have 15 hours on it.

With any of the rods mentioned, you will not have trouble detecting bites or standard bottom composition. It is the really subtle nuances that higher sensitive rods are able to transmit. Such as very light pickups on a jig.

Awesome...thx for the review. No harm no foul. Just trying to get different perspectives on rods since sensitivity is subject anyways.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby BlaineFred » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:15 am

Chode wrote:sensitive rod you've ever used. not what u've heard or read but YOU'VE ever used for bottom contact fishing. List ur top 3. The reason I ask what you've fished is because sensitivity is so subjective I want to see the differences in people's opinions. Should be interesting

Just clarifying my earlier post...

If a guy fishes Ugly Stick only, he's most likely going to answer Ugly Stick is the most sensitive. The best answers in the post are from those who have fished the NRX, Dobyns DX, Phenix K2, Phenix Recon, St Croix Legend Xtreme, Kistler Z-Bone, 13 Envy Black, Loomis GLX, Megabass, etc. To me, his opinion would be the most respected.

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby vishus » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:18 am

My .02 and that's what it's worth "2 cents"...

PHENIX K2
LOOMIS NRX
PHENIX UMBX
DAIWA COMPILE X
DOBYNS DX
DAIWA ZILLION
SHIMANO CUMARA
KISTLER HE II
PHENIX RECON
PHENIX M1
13 OMEN
BPS CARBONLITE
FALCON BUCCO MICRO
SHIMANO CLARUS

above is the order in sensitivity of what I have used. I am seriously looking At either a MEGABASS DIABLO or BEARING DOWN to add to my list... ( have not had the chance to fish either MEGABASS or EVERGREEN)

The other dark horse in this race is the true LOOMIS EDGE MagBass rod...

About two years ago I switched to all braid on all rods, I use various fluorocarbon leaders depending upon conditions and what the bite dictates. Switching to the braid has INCREASED the SENSITIVITY of all the rods. I am 99% a bottom contact fisherman! primarily jigs and texas rig. The Toray blanks that PHENIX uses have a certain "crispness" to them, the feeling I get from working a jig or texa rig is incredible, you can almost "see" the bottom terrain. Bite detection is phenominal... The NRX rods are also very sensitive, I am not a fan of the recoils (esp with braid) or the tip, a bit soft before getting into the backbone of the rod, all in, the NRX just doesn't click with me and how I fish. I do fish a little dropshot/flick shake, that is with a PX68 on a recon 712L (1st gen), the dropshot baitcast is hyper sensitive and is a lot easier (for me) than a spinning rig.

blackcore
Angler
Angler

Postby blackcore » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:47 am

spookybaits wrote:I'd love to see tackletour do a shoot out to see which rod is the most sensitive =D>
Something like:
-nrx
-phenix k2
-kistler z-bone
-evergreen
-megabass
-steez
-Gary loomis
-sc legend extreme
And maybe a few darkhorse/older models like imx, old GLX, Burroughs, one of those bass pro rods with the crazy high million modulus ratings, etc

I know sensitivity is subjective... Maybe a few 'in hand' tests along with a vibration meter of some sort? There has to be some sort of device that can tell how strong something transmits vibration or movement...

x2 Curious -> Phenix K2 - NRX - Megabass - Evergreen - Steez - St.Croix Legend Extreme

blackcore
Angler
Angler

Postby blackcore » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:50 am

vishus wrote:My .02 and that's what it's worth "2 cents"...

PHENIX K2
LOOMIS NRX
PHENIX UMBX
DAIWA COMPILE X
DOBYNS DX
DAIWA ZILLION
SHIMANO CUMARA
KISTLER HE II
PHENIX RECON
PHENIX M1
13 OMEN
BPS CARBONLITE
FALCON BUCCO MICRO
SHIMANO CLARUS

above is the order in sensitivity of what I have used. I am seriously looking At either a MEGABASS DIABLO or BEARING DOWN to add to my list... ( have not had the chance to fish either MEGABASS or EVERGREEN)

About two years ago I switched to all braid on all rods, I use various fluorocarbon leaders depending upon conditions and what the bite dictates. Switching to the braid has INCREASED the SENSITIVITY of all the rods. I am 99% a bottom contact fisherman! primarily jigs and texas rig. The Toray blanks that PHENIX uses have a certain "crispness" to them, the feeling I get from working a jig or texa rig is incredible, you can almost "see" the bottom terrain. Bite detection is phenominal... The NRX rods are also very sensitive, I am not a fan of the recoils (esp with braid) or the tip, a bit soft before getting into the backbone of the rod, all in, the NRX just doesn't click with me and how I fish. I do fish a little dropshot/flick shake, that is with a PX68 on a recon 712L (1st gen), the dropshot baitcast is hyper sensitive and is a lot easier (for me) than a spinning rig.

Great info! =D> =D> =D> Time to start planning to get a custom Phenix K2 rod!!

basskeeter1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby basskeeter1 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:57 am

DX 742 all the way!

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby BlaineFred » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:33 am

PHENIX K2
LOOMIS NRX
PHENIX UMBX
DAIWA COMPILE X
DOBYNS DX
DAIWA ZILLION
SHIMANO CUMARA
KISTLER HE II
PHENIX RECON
PHENIX M1
13 OMEN
BPS CARBONLITE
FALCON BUCCO MICRO
SHIMANO CLARUS

Thanks for the great info. I respect your opinion because you have actually used ALL of the rods. I presume that you have not used the St. Croix Legend Xtreme or the Loomis GLX BCR rods. I have used the Cabela's Platinum ZX (not on your list), and I was disappointed because I expected much better performance based on their advertising.

I'm going to get a K2 made for me.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby bronzefly » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:47 pm

After spending a lot of time with the Megabass F5st-611X7 Bearing Down Type-X, it's definitely on my short list of "most sensitive" rods. I don't think this rod is for everyone as the unique taper featured by this "first of it's kind stinger tip design" has a very different on the water feel. For my intents and purposes, it's a joy 8-)

Gone Phishin
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby Gone Phishin » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:52 pm

bronzefly wrote:After spending a lot of time with the Megabass F5st-611X7 Bearing Down Type-X, it's definitely on my short list of "most sensitive" rods. I don't think this rod is for everyone as the unique taper featured by this "first of it's kind stinger tip design" has a very different on the water feel. For my intents and purposes, it's a joy 8-)

How have you been utilizing this beauty? I have had me eye on this one, but most of my fishing consists of casting so I am taking my time here: I am wondering if the X-fast action on this specific stick is not conducive to long, two-handed casts.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Hogsticker2 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:31 pm

BlaineFred wrote:

PHENIX K2
LOOMIS NRX
PHENIX UMBX
DAIWA COMPILE X
DOBYNS DX
DAIWA ZILLION
SHIMANO CUMARA
KISTLER HE II
PHENIX RECON
PHENIX M1
13 OMEN
BPS CARBONLITE
FALCON BUCCO MICRO
SHIMANO CLARUS

Thanks for the great info. I respect your opinion because you have actually used ALL of the rods. I presume that you have not used the St. Croix Legend Xtreme or the Loomis GLX BCR rods. I have used the Cabela's Platinum ZX (not on your list), and I was disappointed because I expected much better performance based on their advertising.

I'm going to get a K2 made for me.

How do you like the ZX for moving baits like lipless cranks and spinnerbaits? Was it you who said the rods were more of a moderate fast?

Return to “Rods”