Ugly Stick GX2

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.

Ugly Stick GX2

Postby IlliniDawg01 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:29 pm

New version of the Ugly Stick being announced at iCast looks pretty decent.

TT preview is up.

Nice stories from a vet. Kinda of odd that they don't show him fighting the fish with the rod, just pulling it out of the water. Either terrible editing or they are pulling a fast one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9XgJcYn2pA

More YouTube videos coming in the future.

I think every average fisherman should have one Ugly Stik as at least your backup rod.

One of these might pair nicely with a new Tatula Type R to be a good beater outfit. Should work nicely for throwing spinners, big cranks, and top waters.

DaveJ
IlliniDawg01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Ugly Stick GX2

Postby EJP1234 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:37 pm

eewww..... that thing is "ugly" lol...
EJP1234
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Bronzeye » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:50 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:Kinda of odd that they don't show him fighting the fish with the rod, just pulling it out of the water. Either terrible editing or they are pulling a fast one.

Maybe his rod has so little backbone that the large bass made it look like the Ugly Stiks getting bent tip-to-butt in the commercials. Showing that wouldn't sell many rods.
Bronzeye
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby IlliniDawg01 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:39 am

Bronzeye wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:Kinda of odd that they don't show him fighting the fish with the rod, just pulling it out of the water. Either terrible editing or they are pulling a fast one.

Maybe his rod has so little backbone that the large bass made it look like the Ugly Stiks getting bent tip-to-butt in the commercials. Showing that wouldn't sell many rods.

In open water I kind of prefer rods like that. 30lb braid and a glass rod means almost no lost fish and no worries of a broken rod tip if you drop it in your John boat or smack it against your truck.

Not much good for worming or jigging or t's though.

DaveJ
IlliniDawg01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby IlliniDawg01 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:37 am

So, BassPro has the Ugly Stik GX2's in stock now. Hoping they would have similar blanks to the Ugly Stik Lite and Walmart Ugly Stik Lite Pro but with new Guides and Handles and Reel Seats I ordered the 7' MH Casting GX2 and had it delivered to the St. Louis Bass Pro.

When I arrived to pick it up (along with a 7' M Ugly Stik Inshore Select Casting Rod) I had to wait for them to bring the rods up front.

I went back to the fishing section during my wait and found a high rack full of GX2s. The first one I picked up was a 6'6" M Action Casting Rod. It is a decent enough rod for the money. I like the reel seat. The action is pretty weak though. Very similar to the original Ugly Stik, not so much to the Ugly Stik Lite blanks. The sensitivity was very poor from what little I could tell tapping the tip on various things.

Then I picked up the 7' MH. It had a bigger reel seat, a huge fore grip and the rear grip was a good 3+ inches longer than the 6'6" rod. It basically looked like a Heavy Muskie Rod, but had almost no backbone and still weighed a ton. Very dissappointed...

When I went up front to pick up my rods I immediately returned the GX2. I kept the Inshore Select though. It does have a lot of graphite in the blank unlike the GX2. It also had a nice reel seat, comfortable handle, was light, balanced, and has decent Fuji Guides on it. It pairs very nicely with that Zero-R Zillion clone I bought off of that auction site.

In conclusion, the "new" GX2 rod appears to just the old Ugly Stik blanks with some new parts. If you are looking for a durable, whippy, 6'6" or shorter rod for $40 go crazy. If you are hoping for anything more than that, don't get your hopes up.

DaveJ
IlliniDawg01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Return to Rods