New GLX rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
User avatar
ccass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1007
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Michigan (U.P)

Re: New GLX rods

Postby ccass » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:39 am

jpmoney wrote:
ccass wrote:
ccass wrote:Just got my 853c from the Tackle Trap. Super fast shipping. Orderd Tuesday, got here today (Thursday). Nice packaging as well. Testing it against my Archangel 7'2" as I type. Im in between rods right now. I'm using the same reel, line blah blah. My concern for a MH was to be able to throw 1/4oz total weight with accuracy, not having to force and all the other benefits from casting in the "sweet spot" range.

GLX has been good so far. About to rig up the Archangel and compare. I will briefly post my findings but please don't ask a bunch of comparison questions because I don't want to get the thread off track too much.


Long story short, I can't tell a distinguishable difference between the 2 as far as casting even though the GLX low end is 3/16 and the Archangel low end is 3/8.

The GLX looks really nice. Balances better than the NRX. Just during backyard testing, I feel the Archangel is more sensitive. Not $250 more sensitive but, there is a difference. The new reel seat is comfortable. The grip is feels better than the previous generation. Doesn't have the hourglass shaped handle. There is a slight change to the diameter but not much. The blue accents look really nice. The rod is also built very clean.


Do you know how this rod compares to the NRX 853C in terms of taper and backbone? How about against the NRX 893C?

I have been thinking of picking up one of the new GLX 853C's but your description of it being lighter than expected has me wondering if Loomis altered the powers and tapers at all.


It was more powerful than I expected. I was going to use it to cast 1/4oz total weight Texas Rigs and weightless plastics that weigh slightly less. I really like the rod but I cannot fit another MH in my lineup. It feels better in hand than my NRX 852c. I have not fished with the GLX so I cannot speak on sensitivity but, I did get some good "feedback" when I was dragging a Texas Rig though some grass. The rod also transmitted vibrations well when I dragged the tip in my carpet (shag and low-type carpets). It balances well and looks nice. I just cant justify another MH and I already have an Archangel that I'm content with. I thought the GLX would be able to cast lighter lures but after my head to head test, they were about the same and the GLX had more backbone/power as well.

Jrob
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:46 am

Re: New GLX rods

Postby Jrob » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:35 pm

I recently received the new 844mbr and 894 fpr! Amazing! Love the attention to detail on the rods. Great build. I have only fished the 844 so far. Love it ! Paired with a Curado 70xg and 15 lbs fluorocarbon. Sensitivity is on par with the NRX IMO. I know, I know, no way. Well I'm no scientific analyst ,but I'm not disappointed at all as far as sensitivity goes. Very light in hand and balances just above lock down nut with my Curado 70xg. So happy Gloomis has continued the MBR rods with the latest technology. Probably my favorite over all rod ever.(844c MBR)

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: New GLX rods

Postby KP Duty » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:12 pm

Jrob wrote:I recently received the new 844mbr and 894 fpr! Amazing! Love the attention to detail on the rods. Great build. I have only fished the 844 so far. Love it ! Paired with a Curado 70xg and 15 lbs fluorocarbon. Sensitivity is on par with the NRX IMO. I know, I know, no way. Well I'm no scientific analyst ,but I'm not disappointed at all as far as sensitivity goes. Very light in hand and balances just above lock down nut with my Curado 70xg. So happy Gloomis has continued the MBR rods with the latest technology. Probably my favorite over all rod ever.(844c MBR)

Awesome. You don't need to tell me about glx sensitivity. I 'need ' two of those 843 demos he has. Sent him an email...hopefully I'll be an owner by next week..

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:58 am
Location: NoVA

Re: New GLX rods

Postby bigfruits » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:31 pm

Jrob wrote:I recently received the new 844mbr and 894 fpr! Amazing! Love the attention to detail on the rods. Great build. I have only fished the 844 so far. Love it ! Paired with a Curado 70xg and 15 lbs fluorocarbon. Sensitivity is on par with the NRX IMO. I know, I know, no way. Well I'm no scientific analyst ,but I'm not disappointed at all as far as sensitivity goes. Very light in hand and balances just above lock down nut with my Curado 70xg. So happy Gloomis has continued the MBR rods with the latest technology. Probably my favorite over all rod ever.(844c MBR)


That's great, Jrob. Have you fished the old 844 MBR? If so, could you compare the power, action and tip of the new vs old?

Jrob
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:46 am

Re: New GLX rods

Postby Jrob » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:53 pm

bigfruits wrote:
Jrob wrote:I recently received the new 844mbr and 894 fpr! Amazing! Love the attention to detail on the rods. Great build. I have only fished the 844 so far. Love it ! Paired with a Curado 70xg and 15 lbs fluorocarbon. Sensitivity is on par with the NRX IMO. I know, I know, no way. Well I'm no scientific analyst ,but I'm not disappointed at all as far as sensitivity goes. Very light in hand and balances just above lock down nut with my Curado 70xg. So happy Gloomis has continued the MBR rods with the latest technology. Probably my favorite over all rod ever.(844c MBR)


That's great, Jrob. Have you fished the old 844 MBR? If so, could you compare the power, action and tip of the new vs old?

I have not fished the older model GLX. Sorry. I do have an e6x 844mbr and the GLX blank is thinner and feels more crisp. Tip is great and I have thrown all the way down to weightless senkos without issue. Rod loads well with great backbone. It's like fishing a rod the feels and balances like a MH with the backbone of a heavy.

TobyJ
Angler
Angler
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:49 pm

Re: New GLX rods

Postby TobyJ » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:48 am

I picked one of the new mbr844s up in a store the other day. First though.... Wow I need one of these!

Although I think the 842 might be first on my list! :-)

Jrob
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:46 am

Re: New GLX rods

Postby Jrob » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:03 am

Anyone's fish the new 892c jwr yet? I spoke with Ben at the Hookup Tackle and he said the tip is pretty soft. He said it will be a "fun" rod for light Texas rigs, Ned rigs, grubs etc. According to him it is best served with 8-10lbs test Line. Any other thoughts on it?

User avatar
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3557
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: www.tackletrap.com
Contact:

Re: New GLX rods

Postby bronzefly » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:29 am

TobyJ wrote:I picked one of the new mbr844s up in a store the other day. First though.... Wow I need one of these!

Although I think the 842 might be first on my list! :-)


The 842 is awesome. I have really been enjoying all three of the new MBR 84" GLX rods. Loomis really got these right.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

User avatar
cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3765
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:32 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: New GLX rods

Postby cndbasshunter » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:33 am

bronzefly wrote:
TobyJ wrote:I picked one of the new mbr844s up in a store the other day. First though.... Wow I need one of these!

Although I think the 842 might be first on my list! :-)


The 842 is awesome. I have really been enjoying all three of the new MBR 84" GLX rods. Loomis really got these right.

already put the 843 and 2 844 on my to do list :P

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 909
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:58 am

Re: New GLX rods

Postby Jdmbassman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:41 am

For those that have the new 2016 GLX 844 MBR, what do you use it for ?

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:58 am
Location: NoVA

Re: New GLX rods

Postby bigfruits » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:07 am

The old MBR rods (excluding the 782) are great for single hook moving baits IMO. With their fast actions they are great at doubling for jig and plastics if you are looking for a versatile rod. Very sensitive rods, I'd would not be surprised if the new rods were even more.

My main uses of the old GLX 844 are spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, chatterbaits, paddletail swimbaits with 5/8oz-3/4oz total weight being the sweet spot for casting. Good with frogs too. Feels OK casting a 4" BBZ-1 (7/8oz). Before I bought a NRX 873, I used it for 3/8-1/2oz jigs/trig plus plastic.

Im sure it would be long before we hear some reviews on the new 844.

Jrob
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:46 am

Re: New GLX rods

Postby Jrob » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:54 am

Jdmbassman wrote:For those that have the new 2016 GLX 844 MBR, what do you use it for ?

I have fished it pretty good the last few days. I have used 1/4 oz swimbaits, 1/2 oz jig, weightless wacky senko on 4/0 wacky hook, and 1/4 oz shakey head. Great rod! I love the action. I have mine paired with the new Curado 70xg and 15lbs invisix. I have caught fish up to 4lbs so far. It truly is a one rod kind of rod. In my opinion it should be tested in the Tackle Tour " search for the one" Best described as not to fast, not to slow, not to heavy, not to soft.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:02 am

Re: New GLX rods

Postby Hennessy » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:07 am

Jrob wrote:Anyone's fish the new 892c jwr yet? I spoke with Ben at the Hookup Tackle and he said the tip is pretty soft. He said it will be a "fun" rod for light Texas rigs, Ned rigs, grubs etc. According to him it is best served with 8-10lbs test Line. Any other thoughts on it?

I'm interested in this rod also. If the action is a little stiffer than my nrx 852c, I'd be willing to sacrifice sensitivity for a longer rod & a little more backbone as my go-to shakyhead rod.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1990
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: Northern Kentucky

Re: New GLX rods

Postby DavidSA » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:10 am

yeah, I'm hoping for a little stouter then the 852 or that it fishes that way. Something 1/2 power less then the 893 NRX would be the bomb.

Jrob
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:46 am

Re: New GLX rods

Postby Jrob » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:45 am

Hennessy wrote:
Jrob wrote:Anyone's fish the new 892c jwr yet? I spoke with Ben at the Hookup Tackle and he said the tip is pretty soft. He said it will be a "fun" rod for light Texas rigs, Ned rigs, grubs etc. According to him it is best served with 8-10lbs test Line. Any other thoughts on it?

I'm interested in this rod also. If the action is a little stiffer than my nrx 852c, I'd be willing to sacrifice sensitivity for a longer rod & a little more backbone as my go-to shakyhead rod.

Ordered the 892c today. I'll update when I get it in.


Return to “Rods”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 9 guests