New GLX rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
PBP
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: New GLX rods

Postby PBP » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:13 am

any more updates and reviews on 893?
Anybody tried GLX 953C FPR ?
Thank you.

Jrob
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Jrob » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:36 am

Jrob wrote:
Hennessy wrote:
Jrob wrote:Anyone's fish the new 892c jwr yet? I spoke with Ben at the Hookup Tackle and he said the tip is pretty soft. He said it will be a "fun" rod for light Texas rigs, Ned rigs, grubs etc. According to him it is best served with 8-10lbs test Line. Any other thoughts on it?

I'm interested in this rod also. If the action is a little stiffer than my nrx 852c, I'd be willing to sacrifice sensitivity for a longer rod & a little more backbone as my go-to shakyhead rod.

Ordered the 892c today. I'll update when I get it in.

Just bought another Curado 70XG to go with the 892c jwr. I'll be using 10 lbs Sunline Sniper FC. Pumped!

Revofisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Revofisher » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:19 am

hey guys im wondering if the mbr 844 glx will do as a jig rod. i know there are more suitable tapers for jigs, but im wanting a more versatile rod that can also be used as a jig set up for 3/8- 1/2 oz casting jigs. I also plan to use it for 3/8 keitechs? or do i need to go with another model.

Jrob
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Jrob » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:34 am

Revofisher wrote:hey guys im wondering if the mbr 844 glx will do as a jig rod. i know there are more suitable tapers for jigs, but im wanting a more versatile rod that can also be used as a jig set up for 3/8- 1/2 oz casting jigs. I also plan to use it for 3/8 keitechs? or do i need to go with another model.

I think it will fit perfect for an all around rod that can handle jigs. I love the taper and action of mine! I'll be buying another one soon.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby DavidSA » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:58 am

844 should treat you well. I now prefer the 894 platform over the 844 but length and differences in taper are personal preference not fact.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby goldrod » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:53 am

had a chance to see these rods in person , side by side with the previous model. what a rod i think this is going to be
Life is shorter than we think.

Jrob
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Jrob » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:10 am

I really feel Gloomis will try and make the NRX an even more expensive ,exclusive rod after this GLX release. The looks and quality of the new GLX surpass the current NRX IMO. Performance is way to close to the NRX for me to want another NRX when comparing the price point. It will be interesting to see what Gloomis has in store for the next NRX. Seeing the collaboration of Shimano and Gloomis on the Asquith fly series, I would love an NRX with Poison Ultima style. Wishful thinking? Maybe. Gloomis has really impressed me on these new GLX rods to say the least.

Revofisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Revofisher » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:03 pm

i pulled the trigger on one i didnt get the the 844 but went with 853 jwr which i used to have in nrx and liked that rod, so i will get to compare the two. the rod should be here weds. I am super excited to try these after reading this thread. i ended up getting the rod and a curado 70 xg which will have 12 lb line for 1/4- 3/8 oz jigs in open water situations ill get back with the results once i fish it.

godshippy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby godshippy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:29 pm

What rod would you guys recommend for throwing 3/8 oz jigs with beaver trailer on the CA Delta? And how would that rod balance with a 7 oz reel?

I'm currently fishing a Dobyns DX745, but I want something with a stiffer tip.

Jrob
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Jrob » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:54 pm

godshippy wrote:What rod would you guys recommend for throwing 3/8 oz jigs with beaver trailer on the CA Delta? And how would that rod balance with a 7 oz reel?

I would look at the flipping series. I have the 894fpr and love it so far. I bought it to be my flip/punching rod. I have only been able to throw jigs in timber so far. Rod has great power with a nice tip. Full cork rod and just a bit tip heavy. I think a 7oz rod would be good on it. I check the balance point of mine with the Lews reel I have on it and get back with you.

godshippy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby godshippy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:08 am

Jrob wrote:
godshippy wrote:What rod would you guys recommend for throwing 3/8 oz jigs with beaver trailer on the CA Delta? And how would that rod balance with a 7 oz reel?

I would look at the flipping series. I have the 894fpr and love it so far. I bought it to be my flip/punching rod. I have only been able to throw jigs in timber so far. Rod has great power with a nice tip. Full cork rod and just a bit tip heavy. I think a 7oz rod would be good on it. I check the balance point of mine with the Lews reel I have on it and get back with you.

Thanks! I would appreciate that!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby goldrod » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:25 am

I too am looking at a flippin stick the 895 to be specific

Jrob
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Jrob » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:22 am

godshippy wrote:
Jrob wrote:

Thanks! I would appreciate that!

Right now with a Lews speed spool LFS reel (6.9oz) the 894 fpr balances right at where the cork lock down meets the blank. Pretty good IMO. Rod has some tip to it and not a broom stick. I took a pic with reel on of the balance point I can text or email. PM me if you would like the photo.

Jrob
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Jrob » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:32 am

892c came in today!!!! Paired with the Curado 70xg and 10 pound Sunline Sniper FC. I was able to take it to the local pond by the house for some initial thoughts. Very sensitive, light tip with nice backbone, balances nicely with the Curado 70xg. Feels light in hand. I will be using it primarily as a finesse bass rod. Cast Ned rig, small topwater popper, and jerkbait today. Felt great with all. This will be a versitale rod. Cant wait to really give the rod a day on the water. IMO I feel if you where excited to hear about this rod, you will not be disappointed. =D>

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby goldrod » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:04 pm

895 flippin stick will be here this week
if it comes in Thurs I will give reviews from the water via cell phone. thanks once more to the Tackle Trap

took the plunge on an I Loud as well

Return to “Rods”