New GLX rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New GLX rods

Postby bigfruits » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:43 pm

Has anyone fished with the new GLX MBR rods enough to compare the old MBR rods to the new? I am curious if they have a different power and tip.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby bronzefly » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:15 am

bigfruits wrote:Has anyone fished with the new GLX MBR rods enough to compare the old MBR rods to the new? I am curious if they have a different power and tip.

Yes. I have 842, 843, and 844 of both the old and new MBR GLX series. I've been fishing the old style for many years. The new 2016 models, only a couple months. Presently, I'm working on drawing up some more detailed comparisons between the two, but I will say that I'm very happy with the overall feel and performance of the new 2016 MBR GLX rods. I'll be happy to offer more details later...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby DavidSA » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:53 am

Jrob wrote:892c came in today!!!! Paired with the Curado 70xg and 10 pound Sunline Sniper FC. I was able to take it to the local pond by the house for some initial thoughts. Very sensitive, light tip with nice backbone, balances nicely with the Curado 70xg. Feels light in hand. I will be using it primarily as a finesse bass rod. Cast Ned rig, small topwater popper, and jerkbait today. Felt great with all. This will be a versitale rod. Cant wait to really give the rod a day on the water. IMO I feel if you where excited to hear about this rod, you will not be disappointed. =D>

jrob- I notice you sold both rods after such a nice preliminary review. Did you learn something after this review you did not like?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby goldrod » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:00 pm

got the 895c FP rod in paired with 2020sh Z
and the absolute first thing I noticed about the rod was
it was clean and subtle cosmetics what I like about it is the "naked" or unpainted blank.
2nd thing was and it's a big thing for me- the comfort
of the reel on the rod. it's what I've been looking for
Life is shorter than we think.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby goldrod » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:01 pm

got the 895c FP rod in paired with 2020sh Z
and the absolute first thing I noticed about the rod was
it was clean and subtle cosmetics what I like about it is the "naked" or unpainted blank.
2nd thing was and it's a big thing for me- the comfort
of the reel on the rod. it's what I've been looking for
Life is shorter than we think.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby cortman » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:00 am

bigfruits wrote:Has anyone fished with the new GLX MBR rods enough to compare the old MBR rods to the new? I am curious if they have a different power and tip.

I just got an 842 MBR, have a Daiwa SV105 coming for it on Monday. I'll probably fish it a bit next week and report back. Planning on using 30 lb. braid with a leader or else 10 lb. fluorocarbon.

Jrob
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Jrob » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:36 am

DavidSA wrote:
Jrob wrote:892c came in today!!!! Paired with the Curado 70xg and 10 pound Sunline Sniper FC. I was able to take it to the local pond by the house for some initial thoughts. Very sensitive, light tip with nice backbone, balances nicely with the Curado 70xg. Feels light in hand. I will be using it primarily as a finesse bass rod. Cast Ned rig, small topwater popper, and jerkbait today. Felt great with all. This will be a versitale rod. Cant wait to really give the rod a day on the water. IMO I feel if you where excited to hear about this rod, you will not be disappointed. =D>

jrob- I notice you sold both rods after such a nice preliminary review. Did you learn something after this review you did not like?

Sorry, been busy with Holiday stuff. No issues. Rods are great! It was more a buy it to try it situation.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby DavidSA » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:56 am

anything specific? I'm thinking of getting one but I'm on the fence :lol:

JC Windham
Angler
Angler

Postby JC Windham » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:25 am

Any chance of them bringing back the 6'6" MH 2 piece casting rod?

Shimano man
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Shimano man » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:06 am

Some good input from all of you guys!
I have a couple of the old original GLX's and still love them.
Also have a few of the newer green models(cranking models) like them too but I always liked the clean look of the old ones.
the 2016/17 models look very interesting
If they are as good as they look.......
Might end up replacing the green ones!
Shimano Man!

jj_ranger
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Postby jj_ranger » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:54 pm

any idea when the spinning version will out so i can get my hands on one of those.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby jpmoney » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:21 pm

I heard from a reliable source that the spinning models would be shipping out early January 2017.

joe chum
Angler
Angler

Postby joe chum » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:25 pm

I pre-ordered the new GLX 822DSR from American Legacy about a month ago and was told early January shipping. We'll see. [-o<

dnullify
Angler
Angler

Postby dnullify » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:03 pm

Can anyone compare sensitivity and casting performance between the 3 power GLXs and the kistler Helium 3? I'm curious how the NFC blank measures up against the new GLX. Granted one's half the price of the other, so i wouldn't expect them to be even.

The pics of the build quality on the GLX look amazing.

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby alafly » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:44 am

It will be nice to see how it's comparing NRX 822DSR.

Happy Holiday!

joe chum wrote:I pre-ordered the new GLX 822DSR from American Legacy about a month ago and was told early January shipping. We'll see. [-o<
"North" of America...

Return to “Rods”