First look at Megabass Destroyer USA rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: First look at Megabass Destroyer USA rods

Postby zodiak311 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:19 am

bronzefly wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:Maybe it's already been stated, but how long is the rear handle on the Valdivia?

It's 10 13/16" from the butt to the gold trim ring behind the trigger between the reel seat and the cork. 10 3/8" is the same measurement on the NRX 894c JWR as a reference. I find the handle length on the Valdiva very comfortable for both pitching and cast and drag presentations.

Thanks Gary!
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

FunInTheSun
Angler
Angler

Postby FunInTheSun » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:28 am

Hi Gary,
Do you know if the blank material is the same between the JDM destroyer and the usdm destroyer?
Having a hard time figuring it out. Does TTT sell the VLC as well?

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby papabassin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:17 am

FunInTheSun wrote:Hi Gary,
Do you know if the blank material is the same between the JDM destroyer and the usdm destroyer?

bronzefly wrote:The blanks do NOT use Pyrofil. I'm told the blank is similar to that used in 2016 Destroyer, but not identical. Everyone knows how Megabass is about releasing every detail...

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby bronzefly » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:01 am

papabassin wrote:

bronzefly wrote:The blanks do NOT use Pyrofil. I'm told the blank is similar to that used in 2016 Destroyer, but not identical. Everyone knows how Megabass is about releasing every detail...

Thank you Shawn!

Having a hard time figuring it out. Does TTT sell the VLC as well?

Yes, The Tackle Trap will be happy to order the VLC for you anytime, just let me know - gary@ tackletrap.com - The VLC is a shade lighter in power and slower in taper than the Addermine.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

FunInTheSun
Angler
Angler

Postby FunInTheSun » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:08 am

Ok thanks for the info. When I decide an a new ds rod I'll be in touch.

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby leggomye990 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:13 am

Gary, shallow fast moving special vs Javelin. Since you know all megabass rods with first hand experience, I have to ask you lol. :lol:

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby bronzefly » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:02 pm

leggomye990 wrote:Gary, shallow fast moving special vs Javelin. Since you know all megabass rods with first hand experience, I have to ask you lol. :lol:

Vastly different. 6'9" vs 7'5" first off. There are double footed guides and a slower taper on the SFMS, vs single footed TiSic Fuji Arowana guides on the Javelin. The Javelin is very crisp, light, sensitive and doesn't feel like what you'd expect in a rod marketed as a long cast treble hook rod - I fished weightless 5" Senko and it handled them beautifully. I wouldn't hesitate to fish lighter t-rigs, even lighter jigs with the Javelin. The Javelin reminds me of the Nautilus as I'd previously written and will prove to be very popular when guys get this rod on the water.

I view the SFMS as a moving bait rod only, it's not as crisp or sensitive as I'd like, nor does the taper lend itself to bottom contact presentations, but it's a really fantastic square bill, shallow to mid crank, and top water rod. I keep one in my permanent collection I like it so much.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby jpmoney » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:30 pm

bronzefly wrote:
NYBASSIN wrote:
jpmoney wrote:
NYBASSIN wrote:Just came home to the Valdivia. It seems like it's going to be a great rod. Sold an NRX 894 to get it. My first impression is I won't regret it. Aesthetically it no contest, Valdivia wins by a landslide. Balance is another point for the Valdivia and overall just feels better in hand. Tough to say weather it will be as sensitive but time will tell. Can't wait to get it on the water.

Does the Valdivia feel like it has more power than the NRX 894C? I have the 894 and I'm looking for something with a little more power...

Definitely more power. I would say faster too. Actually got it out yesterday for the first time. I don't want to compare sensitivity to the 894, but it is a very sensitive rod. Certainly left nothing wanting. I am happy I made the switch for sure.

Agreed, the Valdiva has more power than NRX 894c, more similar power wise to NRX 895c but without the dreaded tip heaviness the 895 was hung with. Sensitivity is fantastic in my hands and those Hayabusa hooks are pretty impressive too!

Good to hear it has power in line with the 895C and with better balance. Now i'm going to have to offload my 895C to fund one! :big grin:

FunInTheSun
Angler
Angler

Postby FunInTheSun » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:11 am

What's the chosen football jig rod ,3/8 - 1/2, maybe the odd 3/4 oz in the usdm destroyer lineup? Javelin?

freelancer27
Angler
Angler

Postby freelancer27 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:31 am

So the 'Javelin' could be described as a 'all-around' rod? Probably a bit comparable with the Orochi XX Casting Rod 7'2" Diablo Spec R?

I am really interested in getting a light, sensitive all around rod, that could replace my St. Croix Avid X Series Cast Rod 7' Med Hvy.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby bronzefly » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:06 am

FunInTheSun wrote:What's the chosen football jig rod ,3/8 - 1/2, maybe the odd 3/4 oz in the usdm destroyer lineup? Javelin?

No way I'd go 3/4 oz foot ball jig rod with the Javelin. You're in Valdiva territory there. A 3/8 oz FB jig is on the low end for the Valdiva, but 1/2 is in the zone. The FMJ is more than capable of those FB jig duties as well. The Javelin will be fine with 3/8 oz no doubt. 1/2 may be pushing it... I'll play around with it quite a bit more over the coming weeks.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

FunInTheSun
Angler
Angler

Postby FunInTheSun » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:34 am

bronzefly wrote:No way I'd go 3/4 oz foot ball jig rod with the Javelin. You're in Valdiva territory there. A 3/8 oz FB jig is on the low end for the Valdiva, but 1/2 is in the zone. The FMJ is more than capable of those FB jig duties as well. The Javelin will be fine with 3/8 oz no doubt. 1/2 may be pushing it... I'll play around with it quite a bit more over the coming weeks.

Ok, good to know. I was using the EMTF for those duties before and it was decent at 1/2 oz. 3/4 was a little sluggish for sure.
That Valdiva seems like quite the rod. Have you actually frogged with it? or is it more of a flip/pitch/fb rod in your hands?

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby zodiak311 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:20 pm

Just got my Daemos today.
Initial impressions, build quality is excellent. Blank is light, responsive, and also powerful. Only negative is that the rod is slightly tip heavy, but not to bad at all. I can't wait to fish it, you can tell it means business, even though it is so pretty. I can see it being perfect for Senkos, T rig, Spinner bait, and Rattle traps. It's going to replace a few of my Champion rods, and hopefully consolidate my collection. 8-)

If I could compare it to a rod in my current arsenal, just based on initial impressions , it would have to be my NRX 873CRR.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Hennessy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:15 am

zodiak311 wrote:Just got my Daemos today.
Initial impressions, build quality is excellent. Blank is light, responsive, and also powerful. Only negative is that the rod is slightly tip heavy, but not to bad at all. I can't wait to fish it, you can tell it means business, even though it is so pretty. I can see it being perfect for Senkos, T rig, Spinner bait, and Rattle traps. It's going to replace a few of my Champion rods, and hopefully consolidate my collection. 8-)

If I could compare it to a rod in my current arsenal, just based on initial impressions , it would have to be my NRX 873CRR.

Is it that close to the 873, cause i feel the 873 is a stout mh. I see the lower line rating is 8lb test and the action i seen list it as a medium action, fast tip. I'd thought if anything it would be a stout medium.

JEDI FISH
Angler
Angler

Postby JEDI FISH » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:32 am

cndbasshunter wrote:Just got the sticks yesterday.

Gotta ask............Is that your megabass rod stand and where did you get it?

Return to “Rods”