First look at Megabass Destroyer USA rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Kschultz76
Angler
Angler

Re: First look at Megabass Destroyer USA rods

Postby Kschultz76 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:58 pm

bronzefly wrote:
The XX rods are very nice, no doubt. I agree with Chris, the Daemos is faster tapered, more crisp, and it's noticeably more sensitive in my hands than the XX Diablo Spec R. I have a full set of US Destroyer models now and am fishing them as much as I can and loving every minute of it :D

Gary that's something I was really curious about and am happy to hear. I'd think that would make the Daemos even more suitable for jigs/trigs under 1/2 oz.

Knowing the FMJ is certainly very powerful can you compare the Daemos's taper to the FMJ?

Thanks!

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby bigfruits » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:51 am

I saw a video where a MB rep said that new models would be released in the future. does anyone know an approximate date or what models they will be releasing?

Im thinking of the Daemos for 3/8oz jigs but curious if a jig rod will be released that has less power than the FMJ.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Canga- » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:34 am

having no knowledge about it at all i would guess either icast or the classic next year for new models. i would LOVE to see something along the lines of the x7 powerhouse in the spinning line up. i missed out on the powerhouse and regret it every day!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby bronzefly » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:41 am

Kschultz76 wrote:Gary that's something I was really curious about and am happy to hear. I'd think that would make the Daemos even more suitable for jigs/trigs under 1/2 oz.

Knowing the FMJ is certainly very powerful can you compare the Daemos's taper to the FMJ?

Hey Kevin - absolutely. I've fished 3/8 oz skirted jigs on the Daemos and it handles it very easily. Any number of texas rigged presentations will be no problem 1/2 oz and under. I'll be spending a lot more time with the Destroyer USA models over the coming weeks and will work to start testing upper limits. I think a 1/2 oz jig will also be fine on the Daemos as long as it's not in extremely heavy cover, there, I'd opt for FMJ or Valdiva. In terms of taper, they're both what I'd consider a fast taper.

I used the FMJ this past weekend throwing a weightless rage craw with a 5/0 Hayabusa WRM959 Heavy EWG on 40# Daiwa J-Braid x4 with a Tatula SV 103HSL and was getting surprising distance while fishing a shad spawn in some pretty nasty trash piles. I had a 3/8 oz swim jig with a chunky trailer fishing around the same stuff with the Daemos, both performed extremely well.

bigfruits wrote:I saw a video where a MB rep said that new models would be released in the future. does anyone know an approximate date or what models they will be releasing?

Im thinking of the Daemos for 3/8oz jigs but curious if a jig rod will be released that has less power than the FMJ.

The Daemos or the Javelin are both very capable jig rods for 3/8 oz, in my opinion, there's no need to wait on something else. I would be very surprised if Megabass added any models to this brand new Destroyer USA line up this calendar year.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Ham Solo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Ham Solo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:52 am

I am VERY impressed with the FMJ so far. I can see myself adding a few more rods in the future. 8-[

Kschultz76
Angler
Angler

Postby Kschultz76 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:20 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Kschultz76 wrote:Gary that's something I was really curious about and am happy to hear. I'd think that would make the Daemos even more suitable for jigs/trigs under 1/2 oz.

Hey Kevin - absolutely. I've fished 3/8 oz skirted jigs on the Daemos and it handles it very easily. Any number of texas rigged presentations will be no problem 1/2 oz and under. I'll be spending a lot more time with the Destroyer USA models over the coming weeks and will work to start testing upper limits. I think a 1/2 oz jig will also be fine on the Daemos as long as it's not in extremely heavy cover, there, I'd opt for FMJ or Valdiva. In terms of taper, they're both what I'd consider a fast taper.

I used the FMJ this past weekend throwing a weightless rage craw with a 5/0 Hayabusa WRM959 Heavy EWG on 40# Daiwa J-Braid x4 with a Tatula SV 103HSL and was getting surprising distance while fishing a shad spawn in some pretty nasty trash piles. I had a 3/8 oz swim jig with a chunky trailer fishing around the same stuff with the Daemos, both performed extremely well.

bigfruits wrote:I saw a video where a MB rep said that new models would be released in the future. does anyone know an approximate date or what models they will be releasing?

The Daemos or the Javelin are both very capable jig rods for 3/8 oz, in my opinion, there's no need to wait on something else. I would be very surprised if Megabass added any models to this brand new Destroyer USA line up this calendar year.

That's great feedback Gary and I really appreciate it. I'm loving the FMJ, though I need a lot more time in the water with it. I spent time throwing a Dirty Jigs 3/8 oz jig with a sweet beaver on it as a trailer as well as a rage chunk and it handled it very well. But knowing the Daemos compliments it so nice for situations that call for less power makes me happy. I was considering a new GLX in a 3 power next but that plan just changed.

I think I'm going to have to figure out how to fund the purchase of a Daemos and an Addermine.

Thanks again for all your help!

FunInTheSun
Angler
Angler

Postby FunInTheSun » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:25 pm

Daemos review anyone?
Compared to the XX Diablo Spec-r?

JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby JigginOG » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:00 pm

How is the Javelin?
As F5, Is it stiff and more sutible as a jig rod?
Or it it pretty forgiving as a med fast?...

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby bronzefly » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:57 pm

FunInTheSun wrote:Daemos review anyone?
Compared to the XX Diablo Spec-r?

There have been a few comments on this subject above. The Daemos is lighter, more sensitive, more crisp, and has a little faster taper. It's still very versatile and capable of effectively presenting a wide range of applications. I've thrown the beloved Megabass S-Crank 1.5 spinner baits and chatter baits both 3/8 and 1/2 oz, some texas rigged plastics, and a 3/8 oz skirted jig and everything has felt right at home on the Daemos.

JigginOG wrote:How is the Javelin?
As F5, Is it stiff and more sutible as a jig rod?
Or it it pretty forgiving as a med fast?...

Amazing, that's how the Javelin is :lol: Again, there have been some comments above, but it reminds me a lot of the Nautilus in it's versatility. I have thrown some treble baits, I've thrown jigs and texas rigs, and the Javelin has been up to the task. I wouldn't hesitate to drag a 1/2 oz jig in deep water, but I also wouldn't hesitate to throw a spinner bait, square bill, or even up to a 6XD, a top water walking bait, or a 1/4 oz texas rigged lizard. The sensitivity is excellent and the versatility is outstanding.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

NYBASSIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby NYBASSIN » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:33 pm

Finally got my Valdivia out for more than shore casting and was able to catch some fish on it. Loving this thing more than I already did. All fish were caught dragging a football jig on long casts. Bite detection was superb, had one hit on the fall, on a long cast with a lot of slack line braid. Feeling the bite was no problem at all, and the power made the hook set no problem even on long line. Cant say enough positive about these. Don't sit on the fence, these rods are truly great. Call The Tackle Trap now and get you some.

Chode
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby Chode » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:50 pm

NYBASSIN wrote:Bite detection was superb, had one hit on the fall, on a long cast with a lot of slack line braid.

dang dude, i might need to borrow your bionic hands if u were able to detect bites on a long cast with slack braided line cause i can't feel a damn thing :lol:

NYBASSIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby NYBASSIN » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:39 pm

Chode wrote:
NYBASSIN wrote:Bite detection was superb, had one hit on the fall, on a long cast with a lot of slack line braid.

dang dude, i might need to borrow your bionic hands if u were able to detect bites on a long cast with slack braided line cause i can't feel a damn thing :lol:

Haha yeah. I'm sure that's not necessarily typical but I was still impressed that under the right circumstances it was possible.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby papabassin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:12 am

So, I finally got out on the water for the first time with the Javelin and the FMJ yesterday and thought I'd share some of my initial impressions.

I have the Javelin paired with a Monoblock Ito Gambler & 17# Fluorocarbon. Was fishing a 3/8oz bladed jig w/ a 3.5" paddle tail. Achieved very nice distances with relative ease, and man, that blank is so responsive and crisp. Felt like I was holding a dang jackhammer (pun intended) retrieving that bladed jig. Also, as Gary has expressed, these blanks get back to "stop" so quickly. After I'd rip it through the grass, it was straight back to business on the retrieve. You can just tell this rod is so MUCH more than a moving bait stick. Unfortunately, I think I was still a little ahead of the bladed jig bite up here, so I can't comment on fighting any fish.

The FMJ just might be my new favorite rod. WOW, what a blast to fish. I have it paired with a Zonda Green Illusion w/ a purple honeycomb spool & ZPI spool bearings w/ 15# InvizX. I was initially just going to just pitch 5" senkos around isolated cover w/ it, but by the end of the day, I was making long casts down rip-rap and fan casting on grass flats with the combo. It still has a pretty nice tip on it for short roll casts up under branches as well. Sensitivity was superb...honestly, never doubted what was going on the end of the line. Could even tell if I had a small bluegill hit it...And as expected it has a great backbone, I felt in control of every fish no matter what structure I was fishing. It's action is probably a true fast, maybe just a hair slower than other fast action rods that I have. I could also see it being a nice choice for bigger spinnerbaits and even a nice frog rod in open water.

At one point in the day, I was contemplating with myself whether or not the casting ability I was experiencing with the FMJ was all the reel/spool. I was just so impressed with how easily I was getting distance with that senko. However, Gary also experienced surprising distance with a weightless rage craw on his FMJ, so it seems to cast lighter weights very nicely for a "Heavy" (F6) powered, fast action rod. I never put another reel on it to confirm or not though, because I was having too much fun fishing that combo. I am a moving bait guy through and through, and I could hardly put the FMJ/Zonda down after I started using it. The FMJ is special.

Cristo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Cristo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:56 am

Papabassin thanks for your short but exciting review on those new additions! I was hoping to hold off but now I am not so sure :-k
When in doubt bass like hotdogs.....

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby zodiak311 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:21 pm

I finally got to see all these rods in person today. One that really caught my eye, after looking at all the models for 2 hours, was the Valdiva. Double footed guides and extra thread wrap to anchor them down from the third guide up, as Bronze fly stated wrap under the guides as well to protect the blank from the guide feet. Heavy power, yet well balanced. It seems perfect for throwing anything near heavy cover, not to mention a very nice frog rod. This is definitely a very powerful yet versatile rod, ideal for flipping on the California Delta.
The build quality on these rods are so consistent, I could only find differences in the cork of the handles. These rods would have been $500 plus rods a few years back. This is going to get expensive. :lol:
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Return to “Rods”