Steez XT Flipping Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
ccass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Steez XT Flipping Rod

Postby ccass » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:23 am

Has anyone used the 8ft Flipping rod? STZXT801HFB

Is it on the softer side or on the powerful side?

Is it similar to the Compile X flipping rod?

Thanks

hookfynn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Steez XT Flipping Rod

Postby hookfynn » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:29 am

i have one. its badass! very similar to the compile x but the x is a 2 piece rod and the xt is 1 piece. well built; good quality materials,light and ergonomic. it has a soft tip for punching but has some serious backbone to wench them out. fished it pretty solid from late August to the end of September and just picked it back up about a week ago. still impressed.

godshippy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby godshippy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:31 pm

do you mind posting a picture of the balance point of the rod with a reel on it? doesn't matter what reel.

ccass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby ccass » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:39 pm

Pics under load as well.

I take it you have fished the Compile X as well? I know the Compile X some considered to be a finesse flipping stick, is it the case with the Steez XT? I am looking for a finesse flipping stick. I've watch a lot of videos of people punching with the Compile X and the taper and power seem to be what I am looking for.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby big_gee » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:26 am

The Compile X is not a finesse flippin stick. If you watch any of the fishing shows guys like Ish, Brent and Andy Montgomery use it for punchin and heavy flippin. I have it myself and use heavy bread for punchin and flippin. The rod has a lot more power then people think. I do not have the XT but it sounds like a might be a good one to pick up.

STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby STEEZMAN2 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:51 pm

The XT has a slightly stiffer tip than the compile X and is a tad more powerful overall. Its a better rod for punching with really heavy weights IMO.

kbm510
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Postby kbm510 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:40 am

In regards to punching/heavy flipping:

IMO If you are looking for something similar to the 8' H compile x, the comparable Steex xt is not the answer. It's not nearly as parabolic, and a lot more tip heavy. Makes sense since they went cheaper on the components but i was a little disappointed in the overall feel of the rod. I really wanted to like the steez xt but after holding it i just couldn't bring myself to accept the negatives. After a lot of back and forth and debating I landed on the Zillion 8' H. I have no doubts in MY MIND that the Zillion is a better rod than the XT. The handle on the Zillion is more refined, another aspect of the XT that i didn't like. Check out "kazuki kitajima" on youtube, he has several punching videos mostly using the Zillion and as you can see in the vids that rod is the truth.

ccass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby ccass » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:20 am

kbm510 wrote:In regards to punching/heavy flipping:

IMO If you are looking for something similar to the 8' H compile x, the comparable Steex xt is not the answer. It's not nearly as parabolic, and a lot more tip heavy. Makes sense since they went cheaper on the components but i was a little disappointed in the overall feel of the rod. I really wanted to like the steez xt but after holding it i just couldn't bring myself to accept the negatives. After a lot of back and forth and debating I landed on the Zillion 8' H. I have no doubts in MY MIND that the Zillion is a better rod than the XT. The handle on the Zillion is more refined, another aspect of the XT that i didn't like. Check out "kazuki kitajima" on youtube, he has several punching videos mostly using the Zillion and as you can see in the vids that rod is the truth.

I heard the bigger Zillion rods were stiffer than the Tatula 7'6" H.

poisonokie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby poisonokie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:01 pm

Those JDM Zillion Flip rods are only $150 on tacklewarehouse roght now, too. I just snatched up an 8 footer.
Daiwa.Owner.

Return to “Rods”