Rod sensitivity subjective?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Obz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Rod sensitivity subjective?

Postby Obz » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:54 am

Ok. I've only had the chance to fish 3 top end rods. That doesn't give a huge reference. I think putting a real # on rod sensitivity would be useful. I don't subscribe to the opinion that everyone precievies/feels/senses all that differently especially among anglers who enjoy fishing enough to persue enthusiasts level equipment. If the majority of this forum believes people sense of FEEL is so much different asking other forum members their opinion on rod sensitivity would be pointless, yet it's the biggest question in the rod discussion forum.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:43 am

Obz wrote:Ok. I've only had the chance to fish 3 top end rods. That doesn't give a huge reference. I think putting a real # on rod sensitivity would be useful. I don't subscribe to the opinion that everyone precievies/feels/senses all that differently especially among anglers who enjoy fishing enough to persue enthusiasts level equipment. If the majority of this forum believes people sense of FEEL is so much different asking other forum members their opinion on rod sensitivity would be pointless, yet it's the biggest question in the rod discussion forum.

People ask for opinions on rod sensitivity because they haven't had that particular rod in hand, and people's sense of feel does vary to a degree just as every other human sense. Fishing related, what exactly it is you're feeling while working a bait simply comes from experience and can only be amplified to a certain degree by a quality built rod and blank. Some of the more seasoned anglers would even go as far as to say it matters rather little what rod they have in hand. I like the enthusiasm, but I feel you're putting too much emphasis on something that will forever be subjective.

Obz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Obz » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:47 am

Word. I have a associate degree in electrical engineering and applied science. I'm aware of instruments that can be used to measure vibrations in motors, they are used to detect inefficiency. I didn't think it would be that hard to apply to fishing.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:52 am

Obz wrote:Word. I have a associate degree in electrical engineering and applied science. I'm aware of instruments that can be used to measure vibrations in motors, they are used to detect inefficiency. I didn't think it would be that hard to apply to fishing.

I didn't say it would be. You're missing the point. If all or even a portion of rod manufacturers tested and listed this information, and their products didn't stack up to the competition, would it hurt or help sales? Even with that, you can prove to me that Jiffy makes the stickiest peanut butter in the world. Doesn't mean I'm going to buy it. Maybe I like Jif for whatever reason. Obviously there isn't enough justification to prove that testing rod sensitivity is going to dramatically increase sales. I never said it couldn't be done. There has to be some level of ROI, and the investment is time and labor which equals no guarantee the return will be there. If it's that important to you start the testing. Keep us posted. I'll keep going custom.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:10 am

The only time I could see having this information readily available is with custom rod blanks, because you can build it exactly how you want. That might warrant the testing. With mass produced rods, even if it's proven that a certain rod has increased sensitivity, I can guarantee it still won't feel right to some people. That's the subjective portion. Here's the most sensitive rod money can buy. Too bad it has an Acs reel seat, split Eva grip, etc. I still won't buy it. Alright,I'll leave your thread alone now.

Obz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Obz » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:37 am

I didn't miss anything. Even if manufactures decided it was worth it they could bend numbers, set up test to favor their products, it happens all the time already. I suggested an idea for an unbias test and defended it.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby papabassin » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:50 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:The only time I could see having this information readily available is with custom rod blanks, because you can build it exactly how you want. That might warrant the testing.

x2

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Hennessy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:13 pm

ccass wrote:
Hennessy wrote:If you just go ahead and buy a nrx, zbone or steez ags, the last thing you'll be worried about is sensitivity.

Add the 13 Fishing Archangel to your list

Those are just the 3 if fished/owned. If i had a #4 & #5, id say archangel & phenix k2

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Hennessy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:15 pm

Obz wrote:
Hennessy wrote:If you just go ahead and buy a nrx, zbone or steez ags, the last thing you'll be worried about is sensitivity.

Did you feel the steez AGS was more sensitive than OG steez line or compile-x?

Ive only fished the steez ags & steez xt rods. I did hear more than once that the steez rods you are referring to lacked high end sensitivity

Dug
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Dug » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:56 pm

A guy on you tube set up a vibration sensitivity test on fishing rods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWQjdCY_PCo

Personally I think the guide material, fishing line, balance and my general "feel" for it on any given day are just as important if not more so than rod blank sensitivity.

Dug

Obz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Obz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:24 am

Hennessy wrote:
Obz wrote:

Did you feel the steez AGS was more sensitive than OG steez line or compile-x?

Ive only fished the steez ags & steez xt rods. I did hear more than once that the steez rods you are referring to lacked high end sensitivity

Right on. Would you say the xt rods balance as well as the AGS? I'm interested in the 7'1" H.

Obz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Obz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:33 am

Dug wrote:A guy on you tube set up a vibration sensitivity test on fishing rods.

Personally I think the guide material, fishing line, balance and my general "feel" for it on any given day are just as important if not more so than rod blank sensitivity.

Dug

Thought this was great! Thanks for sharing man. TT should rig this up for some high end sticks!

toddmc
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby toddmc » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:26 am

Dug wrote:A guy on you tube set up a vibration sensitivity test on fishing rods.

Dug

You are right in that everything adds up and each part has an affect on the whole. So, you will have to build all of the rods exactly the same so that the blank is what is being measured. There is no reason that you can't test the sensitivity of all of these things if the device is sensitive enough. All of the naysayers want it too because that is what TT is all about. We put a man on the moon almost 50 years ago. I think that this can be done. Unfortunately, some people are better fishermen and the same 10% will still catch 90% of the fish! :) You know some of the people reading this thread are looking at their hands trying to figure out if their calluses are affecting their feel. ;)

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Postby Tokugawa » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:14 am

This has been discussed a lot here. Unfortunately it not as simple as one makes it. You can set up a vibratory excitation and measure the output on the other end of the blank simply enough, but that is not the entire equation. Say you go 10 Hz to 10000 Hz. What frequencies are important to bite detection? Bottom composition? And what type of excitation should you use? Sine? Sawtooth? Random? Something else? What approximates the fishing experience most accurately? What has more influence - slew rate or magnitude?

And just like audio - some people hear or feel better and differently than others.

tomustang
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby tomustang » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:44 am

It's simple enough compared to many other testing panels out there, there's a bunch of common variables and many participants that provide scenarios of sensitivity can be preformed. Some baseline parameters & rods setup the same exact way through various obstacles. Remove the human element out of it and it still a basic test of a rod (object) being sensitive (responsive) to particular movements outline in the testing.

Return to “Rods”