St Croix Legend Elite spinning handle

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

St Croix Legend Elite spinning handle

Postby Tim Kelly » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:21 am

I bought a current model 7ft medium spinning rod from a friend of mine. I've always had a thing about handles, especially on spinning rods. I had moderately large hands (L to XL gloves), but am hardly a giant, so I don't understand why spinning rods are built to be so uncomfortable. They're too slim to hold comfortably and often built with the seat uplocking. As I hold the rod with two fingers either side of the reel stem, it means that the only part of the whole handle you're holding it the reel seat, and the heel of my hand is on the threads and then the step up to the cork handle. Idiotic! I build almost all of my rods myself, so I have a few spares in my building box. After fishing the standard rod a couple of times I couldn't stand it any more, so wet sundays are for tinkering, so I tinkered! Much happier with the new handle. Thick enough to grip, to be in control of the rod and my hand is both comfortably supported and not in contact with anything other than the reel seat and the duplon handle. Perfect!

ccass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: St Croix Legend Elite spinning handle

Postby ccass » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:57 am

Looks pretty sweet. How do you like the rod?

Randingo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Randingo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:17 am

I like it! I, too, have had issues with many spinning rod seats. But I'm not a builder, so my solution was always tennis racket grip tape. This was long before rod wraps and other fishing specific products were available, so I got lots of strange looks, but it solved my problem even if it wasn't elegant. Your solution looks a whole lot better, especially on a high end rod.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Tim Kelly » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:42 am

It's the two piece version, and it's a bit of a beast. I've got a 6'3 MXF built on the green SCV blank and this is at least a power heavier. Not what I was expecting, but actually filled a niche very nicely.

Big-Bass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby Big-Bass » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:44 am

Looks great...and what reel is on there?

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Tim Kelly » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:56 am

It's a 4000 size shimano aero something or other. Can'r remember it's actual code. Unusual reel, it's got a nice big spool but it is very light. Usually prefer Daiwa reels, especially the bail arms , but this reel is worth it despite the spindly, delicate bail wire!

ccass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby ccass » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:23 am

Tim Kelly wrote:It's the two piece version, and it's a bit of a beast. I've got a 6'3 MXF built on the green SCV blank and this is at least a power heavier. Not what I was expecting, but actually filled a niche very nicely.

St Croix rods are usually a bit on the more powerful side. Usually a tad bit faster too, which can give the impression of it being more powerful. For instance, I built a BFS rod with the 7' Lite green SCV blank and at first I thought it was too stiff. Once I put guides on it and took it out on the water, I was pleasantly surprised on the reserve power it had, which comes in handy. The tip is soft enough to cast everything I planned on but the reserve power is a nice feature I didn't originally plan into the build.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Tim Kelly » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:55 am

Big-Bass wrote:Looks great...and what reel is on there?

Just checked the reel. It's an aero c14 4000

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby Bronzeye » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:36 am

Looks very comfortable!

What are the two front components of the handle?

Did you have to shape the synthetic material behind those?

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Tim Kelly » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:35 pm

I took the old handle off as far as the trim ring at the front of the cork, so behind the silver trim ring I put some shrink tube, then the reel seat. As the shrink tube was slightly lower than the reel seat I ended up putting the finishing epoxy over the shrink tube and making a little epoxy ramp to the reel seat. All a bit of a lash up as I was building it backwards(from the bottom) and didn't have any components bought specifically for the build. Between the front and rear grips I shaped a profile with masking take, then epoxied the shrink tube to it. Gives a pleasing shape to the in-fill piece and makes up for the duplon being too large bore for the blank! Necessity is the mother of invention. :lol:

Return to “Rods”