cork sealer question

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
fishermun
Angler
Angler

Re: cork sealer question

Postby fishermun » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:48 pm

mark poulson wrote:I have a rod whose cork fell out in one spot.
What should I use as a filler, before I seal it with U40?

I took and old wine bottle cork and sanded it down. Used the cork filings and mixed with Elmers wood glue. Spread it on, sand it off, looks like new.

mark poulson
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler

Postby mark poulson » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:58 pm

fishermun wrote:
mark poulson wrote:I have a rod whose cork fell out in one spot.
What should I use as a filler, before I seal it with U40?

I took and old wine bottle cork and sanded it down. Used the cork filings and mixed with Elmers wood glue. Spread it on, sand it off, looks like new.

I can do that. I have both the glue and the corks!
Thanks.

Randingo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Randingo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:55 am

The other option is wood dough.

Obz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Obz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:57 am

Instructions on the U40 say to not apply a second coat, because it won't adhear. Does it wear off, can you reapply say after a season?

fishermun
Angler
Angler

Postby fishermun » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:39 am

Obz wrote:Instructions on the U40 say to not apply a second coat, because it won't adhear. Does it wear off, can you reapply say after a season?

Yes

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Postby Mattman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:41 am

U40 Cork Seal and Birchwood Casey Tru Oil gunstock finish are the two go to grip sealers. (Bichwood Casey is a linseed oil based finish commonly used on gunstocks, axe handles, etc.)

I've not used the Tru Oil personally, but I know guys that do. It is a linseed oil based product. I do use boiled linseed oil on my tool handles. Shovels, axes, etc. and love it for handles. Its so much better than the varnish that typically comes on handles. I sand the varnish off and apply linseed oil.

More than one coat of U40 is unnecessary. It can't penetrate after the first coat and you just get a buildup that starts feeling plastic like and lumpy.

You can reapply if you find its wearing off. Wash your grips in your preferred method. You can even do a light sand with 220 or 320 sandpaper to knock anything off. Clean with alcohol. And then reapply.

Yes, it does darken the cork a bit. But I do think its a richer look that almost has depth. I think it darkens cork filler a few steps further than the cork. I don't use cork filler in my grips so I'm not totally sure on that.

You can use any wood putty for filling your cork. Oak seems to be the best color. And, as already mentioned, you can take cork and sand it heavily and take that dust and make your own filler.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Slazmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Slazmo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:23 am

A waterproof wood glue and get some sanding swarf from some wine corks and make your own filler.

Did this an it matched and filled well.

mark poulson
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler

Postby mark poulson » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:43 am

Thanks for the help to all who answered.

Return to “Rods”