Villain 2.0 6'10" ML xfast (baitcasting)

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DirtyD64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Villain 2.0 6'10" ML xfast (baitcasting)

Postby DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Anyone ever held/owned/tried one of these rods??? I am considering picking one up and not sure about the action/taper. I know Abu rods generally run a little more stiff, but I am just not sure.
The 7'ML xfast Villain 2.0 spinning rod I have is very light, but also very limber, I have a TFO shaky head spinning rod, and the xfast Villain 2.0 spinning is WAY softer. They are just both rated as Xfast, so once again the whole fast/xfast thing confuses me.

Thanks for any info on these rods if anyone has it, I know there are much better options out there for the price, but I am getting a discount from friends/family who run a store, and have grown to really appreciate ABU and their warranty/customer service...

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Villain 2.0 6'10" ML xfast (baitcasting)

Postby smalljaw » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:23 pm

I can't help you with the rod but I may be able to help you with the action confusion you have. Action or taper only tells you how far down the blank the rod will flex, there should be no confusion with taper. A rod that has an extra fast action should mostly flex in the upper section of the blank, a fast action will flex slightly further down, and a medium or moderate will flex even further down. Power of a rod, ultra light, light, medium, medium heavy, etc. won't tell the story either because there isn't any industry standards, so the only real way to know is to handle a rod, even asking someone how soft a rod is can be tough because we all have our own idea of what a soft rod is.

DirtyD64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby DirtyD64 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:22 am

This is the main problem, it is a blowout price from a store but I have to order it, too far to drive. I have owned many mid priced Abu rods and they all are very different. I would hope this one is a true extra fast and bends mainly at the tip (I understand the classifications very well, just that they don't seem that way in person), the 7'ML spinning villain 2.0 I own is an extra fast rated for 1/8 to 1/2, but it is a noodle... great dropshot rod, just softer than I ever imagined before I bought it...

DirtyD64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby DirtyD64 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:38 pm

Thanks for the info, I just cannot find this exact model ANYWHERE in person, I know an Abu Medium is more like most companies Medium Heavy, I just have no idea what to expect with the Medium Light, I have a TFO GTS Dropshot Rod that is rated as fast, but it is almost like a cranking rod (not quite as deep bending, but it is rated as a fast and much closer to a modfast at most). I just don't want to order this Villain and it be the same. I want a finesse casting setup that is just slightly stiffer than the TFO, the TFO is great for open hook finesse situations or very light hooks, I want my second finesse casting to be for weedless dropshots, medium wire finesse hooks, etc.

DirtyD64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby DirtyD64 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:34 am

Bump, just hoping someone might have experience with these, anyone have thoughts on a 7' Medium IKE series power rod???

DirtyD64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby DirtyD64 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:33 pm

Thinking tomorrow I am going to go with the 7' Medium fast. Tackle Tour just did another review on Villain 2.0 rods and really praised the 6'10" spinning rod. I have the 7'ML xf and it too feels light for the rating, normally Abu's run stiff, but that doesn't seem the case for these. My 7'6" MH is a great Carolina rig/medium swimbait rod (loads well) and I am just cannot find a review on the baitcasting ML. Thanks for the attempts, I won't TTT again, figure no one owns one.

LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LowRange » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:47 am

Is the Tatula Megatop an option? 3/32 - 3/4 rated solid carbon tip M powered rod. It's billed as a drop shot rod but it also excells at power BFS and can roll cast some seriously light weight baits by just loading the solid tip. I have a mumber of power bfs stick with some rated as ML and some not. What is your price range and what baits are you looking to throw?

LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LowRange » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:56 am

I can stop by a bps I drive right by on my way into work Friday. They have the Ike rods but I doubt they carry the ML. I've gotten my hands on the ike rods already and they're tapered unlike any Abu rod I've gotten my hands on. If you're after an Abu power bfs, one of my favorite power bfs rods is a Fanatista Deez 'mmh'. It tapered just like an emtf but a few powers lighter.

DirtyD64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby DirtyD64 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:46 am

I appreciate the replies, went ahead and got the 7' Medium fast (1/4-5/8) for warranty replacement. Cost $50 to move up to the Villain 2.0 from the Veracity, but I will be more than happy with a Medium. I throw 3/16 Owner heads with 3.3" Keitechs fine on MH's if necessary so I really could use the 7' medium. I also already own 4 Medium Light rods, 3 spinning and 1 TFO ML dropshot rod (casting) so the medium fits well. Probably put a Zillion SV or Chronarch MGL on it if the SV105s don't go back to $180.
To complete my collection I will probably try a Lew's Custom Speed Stick Topwater rod with 30lb braid for most topwaters and switch the reel out to the Villain 7'medium for larger spooks...

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Bootytrain » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:12 am

Cal did a another review on the main page for the ML spinning, he raved about the sensitivity. These look to be sleepers

DirtyD64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby DirtyD64 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:23 pm

I love my 7' ML xf spinning model, bought a Revo STX20 to go with it and I primarily use 10lb Sufix 832. I know Abu is normally known for running on the stiff side, but I swear just as mentioned in the review that mine is light for a ML. It is by far the best dropshot rod I own for open hook dropshots. I prefer to use a shaky head TFO spinning rod for Texas rigged roboworms.
I also own a 7'6" MH Villain 2.0 casting and I matched it with a 9.1 Zillion TWS w/ 18lb Sniper. It is an amazing jig and Carolina rig rod along with being great for weedless rigged 4.8 Keitech's and swimbait head rigged ones.

Return to “Rods”