2016 GLX MBR842C - SMALLMOUTH ONLY USES?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
karirick
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 788
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:33 am

2016 GLX MBR842C - SMALLMOUTH ONLY USES?

Postby karirick » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:41 pm

What would you use the 842C GLX for for Smallmouth only please? Thanks for your time.

Rick

JBcrankaddict
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1167
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: 2016 GLX MBR842C - SMALLMOUTH ONLY USES?

Postby JBcrankaddict » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:50 am

I don't own the GLX version, but the 842 NRX is my most used rod. The NRX version has a lighter tip, and fishes most lures perfectly. Basically, anything 3/8oz and below fishes very well on this rod, but I'm not opposed to throwing 1/2oz topwater and swimbaits with it either. Topwater, crankbaits, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, jigs/plastics, swimbaits etc. etc., the MBR tapers are very universal. Hope this gives you some ideas of things to try.

fishindad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: 2016 GLX MBR842C - SMALLMOUTH ONLY USES?

Postby fishindad » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:06 am

I fish smallies on the Great Lakes. My MBR782 GLX is my dedicated tube rod. And it rocks! It also excels throwing jerkbaits but that's (GLX) overkill and use my Falcon Cara for those, typically.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2010
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: Northern Kentucky

Re: 2016 GLX MBR842C - SMALLMOUTH ONLY USES?

Postby DavidSA » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:51 am

I liked the original 842 glx for tubes, grubs and shaky heads.

User avatar
egore1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: 2016 GLX MBR842C - SMALLMOUTH ONLY USES?

Postby egore1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:06 pm

If it fishes close to the original MBR 842 then tubes and shaky heads would be on my agenda :)
Or top water, split shot rigs, small stick baits, ....very useful rod.

karirick
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 788
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:33 am

Re: 2016 GLX MBR842C - SMALLMOUTH ONLY USES?

Postby karirick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:32 pm

fishindad wrote:I fish smallies on the Great Lakes. My MBR782 GLX is my dedicated tube rod. And it rocks! It also excels throwing jerkbaits but that's (GLX) overkill and use my Falcon Cara for those, typically.


You use casting rods for tubes; never thought of that. I have the SJR842 I was planning on using for tubes though.

Sounds like the MBR842 and MBR843 that I got will cover most of my uses. I'm not a huge multi-purpose type guy; but do have a few cranks, top waters and spinnerbaits etc.

Thanks for the input and keep it coming if anyone else sees this thread on Smallmouth.

Rick

fishindad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: 2016 GLX MBR842C - SMALLMOUTH ONLY USES?

Postby fishindad » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:35 am

karirick wrote:
fishindad wrote:I fish smallies on the Great Lakes. My MBR782 GLX is my dedicated tube rod. And it rocks! It also excels throwing jerkbaits but that's (GLX) overkill and use my Falcon Cara for those, typically.


You use casting rods for tubes; never thought of that. I have the SJR842 I was planning on using for tubes though.

Sounds like the MBR842 and MBR843 that I got will cover most of my uses. I'm not a huge multi-purpose type guy; but do have a few cranks, top waters and spinnerbaits etc.

Thanks for the input and keep it coming if anyone else sees this thread on Smallmouth.

Rick


Yes, but only for dragging tubes on Lake St Clair. I do things a bit differently than most. I've tried the long spinning rod thing but with the typically windy conditions, I find it better to keep my rod tip close to the surface so as to limit the amount of bow/slack in my line. I also run 10 and 12 lb test line, which is heavier line than most guys but IMO smallies aren't line shy and it helps with all the zebra mussels/rocks on the bottom. I have a 7'1" M baitcasting rod rigged for casting tubes and working them back to the boat.

karirick
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 788
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:33 am

Re: 2016 GLX MBR842C - SMALLMOUTH ONLY USES?

Postby karirick » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:48 am

fishindad wrote:
karirick wrote:
fishindad wrote:I fish smallies on the Great Lakes. My MBR782 GLX is my dedicated tube rod. And it rocks! It also excels throwing jerkbaits but that's (GLX) overkill and use my Falcon Cara for those, typically.


You use casting rods for tubes; never thought of that. I have the SJR842 I was planning on using for tubes though.

Sounds like the MBR842 and MBR843 that I got will cover most of my uses. I'm not a huge multi-purpose type guy; but do have a few cranks, top waters and spinnerbaits etc.

Thanks for the input and keep it coming if anyone else sees this thread on Smallmouth.

Rick


Yes, but only for dragging tubes on Lake St Clair. I do things a bit differently than most. I've tried the long spinning rod thing but with the typically windy conditions, I find it better to keep my rod tip close to the surface so as to limit the amount of bow/slack in my line. I also run 10 and 12 lb test line, which is heavier line than most guys but IMO smallies aren't line shy and it helps with all the zebra mussels/rocks on the bottom. I have a 7'1" M baitcasting rod rigged for casting tubes and working them back to the boat.


Makes sense. Thanks for your comments.


Return to “Rods”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Canga- and 11 guests