Stradic Ci4 vs. Pflueger Patriarch magnesium spinning

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Stradic Ci4 vs. Pflueger Patriarch magnesium spinning

Postby westcoastbassin » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:21 pm

I have been contemplating on which reel to get for my new Phenix rod. The rod feels lonely without a reel. which reel would you take and why?
westcoastbassin
Angler
Angler

Re: Stradic Ci4 vs. Pflueger Patriarch magnesium spinning

Postby muskyhunter » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:54 pm

+1 for the Stradic CI4. Have had mine for over one year and it's been solid. Landed tons of fish and my PB. It's been better than expected. Smooth powerful drag, light, and very reliable.
muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby taylor5877 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:21 am

are you saying the stradic C4 after having tried the Patriarch, or have you just had the stradic and been happy with it?

I'm curious about his with the OP as I need a high end, light reel for my ultralite spinning duties.
taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby NYBASSIN » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:45 am

I have fished both and don't thinks its even close. The patriarch is better. The only reason I would choose the ci4 would be if I planned on using it in salt water.
NYBASSIN
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby NYBASSIN » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:45 am

Realized my post was pretty vague and didn't actually contain any useful information.lol.
So here is the reason I like the patriarch better.
First and most importantly for me I think it is noticeably smoother. I also think it cast better. The magnesium is more rigid than the cu4 carbon. I like the sure click bail. I like the thicker bail wire. I like the carbon/spare spool and just like the looks better.
The only edge I give to the ci4 is saltwater usage, and one big thing would be line management. I don't have any problems when I do everything right I always flip the bail by hand and make sure i dont real slack line etc. But if your fishing lazy the patriarch might make a mess.
NYBASSIN
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Snyder Rods » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:05 pm

There are a few things to consider:

- Shimano reels are legendary for their toughness.

- If the gear ratio on the Shimano is their typical high 6:1 or greater, the Patriarch will be smoother because of it's lower gear ratio.

- The Patriarch is lighter.. it will be more sensitive... weight adds damping which reduces sensitivity. You will also get a sensitivity boost from the rigid magnesium rotor, it's much stiffer than the Shimano. Sensitivity is stiffness-to-weight ratio. Also, the lighter weight reel will be less fatiguing to fish with, and more fun.

- Depending on what size reel you are looking at... the two smallest Patriarch reels have a drag which is hard to set. I suspect the drag is weak and might be better for trout or panfish. The Shimano drag might be better for bass if you are looking at the smaller sizes.

I have a 9530 Patriarch.... it seems to be the lightest on the market for it's size, and is an excellent reel overall. It's a blast.
Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby tracker01 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:16 am

I "had" a Ci4. Loved the reel hated the foam knob. I am not a fan of foam, eva, or whatever. If you can get past the knob it's a great reel.
tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby jayo123456 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:52 am

i have a 3000 ci4, and 9530 patriarch.

overall, I like the patriarch better.

on a 10 scale, if the patriarch is a 10, i give the ci4 an 8.

the patriarch is noticeably smoother on the drag, by quite a bit actually (to me atleast). Supposedly stopping power is low, but it hasn't affect my fishing any bit, atleast not the way I use it (finesse, DS).

also, the patriarch is definately lighter, and the body frame is smaller and compact, a huge + in my books for finesse fishing. The ci4 frame is larger than I like, and I don't like carbon fiber. It seems like it's not as rigid to me, could be all in my head though.

in terms of durability....havn't used both long enough to say. But chances are, the Shimano will probably hold up longer.

IMO, if shimano was the company that released the patriarch, it would probably be the best selling spinning reel for years to come.

that's not to take anything away from the ci4 though....it's a great reel in it's own regard. I would recommend either reel, but the edge to the patriarch.
jayo123456
Angler
Angler

Postby tywithay » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:12 am

I have a Ci4 2500 and a Patriarch 9530. I think both reels are awesome, but I use them both for different applications. The Patriarch feels lighter in hand and seems more effortless to reel than the Stradic. The Stradic feels much more solid and connected though. Drag-wise I've tested out both reels to the max and each has performed flawlessly. Caught a 15lb and 12lb channel cat the same day on my Patriarch with 6lb test while crappie fishing; never had any doubts I'd get it in. I have currently been using my Ci4 for striper and hybrid fishing this summer and the drag has held up to the long powerful runs without a hitch. For me it comes down to the type of fishing you're doing. While both are finesse reels, I think the Patriarch is more dainty of the two and is better suited for very light line and small lures. The Stradic is more versatile in my mind. It can handle the finesse applications, but has just slightly more brawn in the drag and gearing to handle a little bit larger baits if need be. I think the Stradic name and Shimano components speak for themselves when it comes to durability; this remains to be seen if the Patriarch will handle years of abuse.
tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby westcoastbassin » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:02 am

Thanks for all the inputs from you all. I've decided to get the Pflueger Patriarch and I'm loving it. Took it out on an outing and hooked up some fish on it. Feels really lite. I'll just have to see how it holds up.
westcoastbassin
Angler
Angler

Postby NCbigbass » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:47 pm

I think the Pflueger offerings have come a long way, but from a reel mechanics standpoint, I wish they would post their schematics on their website and offer better parts/service after the sale. Shimano cannot be beat on service/parts availability.
NCbigbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Snyder Rods » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:23 am

NCbigbass wrote:I think the Pflueger offerings have come a long way, but from a reel mechanics standpoint, I wish they would post their schematics on their website .

- I agree. They don't even put a schematic in the box. Pretty soon, perhaps you won't even get a box, just a clam-pack, LOL!
Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby mdesouza » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:31 pm

One question that I have (I don't want to steal the post, but I believe this question is relevant) - tackletour reviewed each reel.

The CI4 had a score of 8.50 and received the coveted Editors Choice award, whereas the Patriarch received an 8.75 overall score and won the Best Value Award. Seeing as though both reels cost the same amount shouldn't the higher rated Patriarch have won the Editor's Choice? Just a question that was rattling around in my brain for a while...

Mike D
mdesouza
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby GARRIGA » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:57 am

I've only fished the CI4 2500 and with my often forays into salt, MG is just not in my cards. I've caught numerous 3-4 lb bass and the biggest to 6lbs. Also caught a 3 ft long channel catfish with ease. Did put up quite a battle, tho. Based on my experience throwing anything from weightless Senko style baits to 1 oz plus paddletails, I'd highly recommend the CI4. I'm actually considering getting the largest size for some 1-2 oz lure casting into the surf.

The round knob is kind of odd but easy to get used to. Can always upgrade the 2500 with a 3000 knob that's bigger or just get the 3000 as it's a little more line capacity and better to handle mono with and an insignificant weight increase. I think some have put the Core 50MG knobs on the the reel.

Looks wise, I'd go with the CI4 IMO.
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Nytron » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:04 pm

I own calcuttas, curados, a calais, and two older white stradics. For freshwater finesse bass fishing, the Stradic CI4 2500 is the best reel money can buy, period. I plan on getting at least 3 more of them, they're that good. They are light as hell, they manage line as good as any spinning reel out there, they look cooler than any reel out there, and are extremely powerful with a high max drag spec. No doubt the stradic ci4 4000 would handle light musky applications (everything but the big resistance baits). The 2500f with light braid is the best skipping setup one could possibly own, you can skip weightless baits under docks at any angle, in between docks and boatlifts, getting it into those tight spaces that no one else fishes.

Cannot wait until shimano brings their CI4 technology to a baitcasting model \:D/
Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Next

Return to Reels