longest casting baitcast reel+rod +line combo for 3/16-1/2?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Re: longest casting baitcast reel+rod +line combo for 3/16-1

Postby haoz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:27 am

my apologies Jeb, if my previous post seem to take on a personal note.

no disrespect for your Premier. :)

over my side, when fishing for seabass at night, I like to cast (soft plastic) far and bounce them along the bed and do a slow retrieve.

I usually catch seabass and groupers this way. yea, hook-sets can be a problem, but I minimize that with braid. if the soft plastics size is right, the fish will inhale the whole thing and be easy to set. of course sometimes, it can be cases of big plastics vs small fish, or small plastics vs big fish but you can switch.
haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby bigreddog » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:36 am

jbsoonerfan wrote:Why do you need to throw a soft plastic a quarter mile? Hook sets are too hard to make when you cast them that far.

Not trying to be a butt head, just really wondering why one would want to throw a soft plastic that far.

It's not an unusual request if you are fishing from shore.

Hooksets can be an issue, but using sharp hooks and braid with a leader can negate the issue somewhat.
bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby jeb » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:39 am

haoz wrote:my apologies Jeb, if my previous post seem to take on a personal note.

no disrespect for your Premier. :)

No offense taken at all. Sorry you took it that way. I've had folks say that before when I quote sections like that. I guess it comes across differently than intended. I was only doing that so I could clearly talk about each point you made. I've been on the forums since well before AlGore invented the internet, back in the Usenet days. So it's just a quoting style I'm comfortable with.
jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby zenbassr » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:42 am

jbsoonerfan wrote:Why do you need to throw a soft plastic a quarter mile? Hook sets are too hard to make when you cast them that far.

not all hooks need or require a hookset... ;)
zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby jbsoonerfan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:43 am

bigreddog wrote:

Not trying to be a butt head, just really wondering why one would want to throw a soft plastic that far.

It's not an unusual request if you are fishing from shore.

Hooksets can be an issue, but using sharp hooks and braid with a leader can negate the issue somewhat.

Yea, I guess I can see that. I just never really thought of needing to throw a soft plastic very far. Thanks.
jbsoonerfan
Angler
Angler

Postby basser100 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:07 am

I use gamakutsu and owner hooks. Im going to try some 20lb 832 braid. Also some 10lb-14 mono too. I love the suggestions guys. I have used a few garcia reels in the past and they never came close in casting distance. Maybe things have changed. I will wind up with a few different reels of course. I think daiwa might add a t wing type system to the z2020 successor. Im thinking about starting with a t3 ballistic and maybe try out a mgx. I thought about buying a t3 but I think a t3 ballistic should be very close in regards to casting distance. I destroyed a shimano chronarch the 200$ one that came out in the late 90's once time with a 5lb fish. I had the drag too tight and it warped
the frame> My rod was heavy action and my line as 14lb trilene XT. So im alittle concerned of those super light reels.
I know im trying to use a non finese reel for a finese job but I thought if I stay 1/4 and up on the lure weight I would be fine. Some baitcasters I had in the past didnt cast 1/4 lures very well. The shimano did well and so did the team daiwa and team daiwa tournment reels of the mid 90's. If these the t3 ballistic and mgx dont work I know where to go a z2020 and a shimano DC calcutta or antares 2012 model.. Is there much difference in casting difference between these 2 and say a shimano 250 caluctta DC?
basser100
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby rubs96 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:59 pm

basser100 wrote:Is there much difference in casting difference between these 2 and say a shimano 250 caluctta DC?

Heavy lures like spinnerbaits and cranks or a topwater lure like a Sammy will not be outcast when compared to a DC model.

IMHO, go with a Calcutta DC for all your needs... 100DC or 200DC depending on comfort and preference and the rod with which you will be pairing it.
rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Dug » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:12 am

Some of you might think I am crazy, but straight out of the box Okuma Helios is a very very impressive combination. For distance at standard weights, this combination is hard to beat. This from a guy who has 2 custom Pixies with the best bearings\oil\grease installed.

Dug
Dug
Angler
Angler

Postby tywithay » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:14 am

rubs96 wrote:
basser100 wrote:Is there much difference in casting difference between these 2 and say a shimano 250 caluctta DC?

Heavy lures like spinnerbaits and cranks or a topwater lure like a Sammy will not be outcast when compared to a DC model.

IMHO, go with a Calcutta DC for all your needs... 100DC or 200DC depending on comfort and preference and the rod with which you will be pairing it.

I agree with this. I have the 250DC and I'll admit, I probably can't cast the light stuff near as far as the conquest 50 or the pixies....but when you need distance between the rod and a heavier lure like a spinnerbait, crankbait, or jig, there's no comparison; in my opinion. Plus, with that DC function I can rear back and unleash the fury of god into my cast and I have yet to ever have a backlash, even in the Kansas wind (you have to live here to understand). I've had some other nice reels and when you're going strictly for distance, backlashes happen. I like having that piece of mind the DC gives me. Not too mention that beautiful humming sound you can only get from a DC.
tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Lanebacker » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:20 pm

I'm sorry for being so new or ignorant about this. What are pixies :?: I mean I know its a reel and most likely a baitcaster but who is the maker? or is pixie slang for something like a PX. :oops: :?
Lanebacker
Angler
Angler

Postby dragon1 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:26 pm

tywithay wrote:
rubs96 wrote:

I agree with this. I have the 250DC and I'll admit, I probably can't cast the light stuff near as far as the conquest 50 or the pixies....but when you need distance between the rod and a heavier lure like a spinnerbait, crankbait, or jig, there's no comparison; in my opinion. Plus, with that DC function I can rear back and unleash the fury of god into my cast and I have yet to ever have a backlash, even in the Kansas wind (you have to live here to understand). I've had some other nice reels and when you're going strictly for distance, backlashes happen. I like having that piece of mind the DC gives me. Not too mention that beautiful humming sound you can only get from a DC.

Hmmm...you must have a much closer spiritual connection to your DCs...I have backlashed my Calcutta 100 TE DC more than a few times in heavy cross-winds while arrogantly denying that any laws of nature could ever unravel the marvel of DC Technology. I know that others have backlashed theirs as well! ;)
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby dragon1 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:27 pm

Lanebacker wrote:I'm sorry for being so new or ignorant about this. What are pixies :?: I mean I know its a reel and most likely a baitcaster but who is the maker? or is pixie slang for something like a PX. :oops: :?

Search "Pixy" or "Pixilla"...one of Daiwa's most effective light weight LPs.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Smalleyez » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:41 pm

dragon1 wrote:
tywithay wrote:
rubs96 wrote:

Hmmm...you must have a much closer spiritual connection to your DCs...I have backlashed my Calcutta 100 TE DC more than a few times in heavy cross-winds while arrogantly denying that any laws of nature could ever unravel the marvel of DC Technology. I know that others have backlashed theirs as well! ;)

My 100DC was a little touchy. :sick:
Smalleyez
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby WoodT » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:37 pm

My DC100 only backlashes to remind me not to take it for granted.

Yes, they backlash. Less frequently and generally more easily corrected.
WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LPFC » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:34 pm

basser100 wrote:Guys I just got back into bass fishing this year after 14 years. So much has changed that now im totally lost.
I use to fish with team daiwa tournament and shimano baitcast reels. I had used some braided line but it didnt cast very far. So now I need your help. I want the longest casting baitcasting rod,reel, and line combo for 3/16 to 1/2 lures for bass. I would like to use 10-14 lb test monofilament line. But if there is a longer casting line Im open to it.
Im going to throw soft plastics to maybe a 1/2 oz top water. Even if the rod or reel is from japan I would order it.
I know its not going to be cheap as I have looked at some 700$+ Jpn version baitcasters on ebay. So please tell me what combos would work and what kind of casting distance I could get out of them.

I fish 80% of the time from shore.
My best casting combo is - Calais 200A, 12lb Sufix Elite, St.Croix Premier PC66MM

This combo used, including line, shouldn't cost more than $300.
LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

PreviousNext

Return to Reels