Why do we list line capacity in LB test.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Why do we list line capacity in LB test.

Postby angry john » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:01 pm

From the highest price bait-casters to the junker spin-casters, the manufactures list capacity of the of a reel in a length of lb test. What the heck does that mean. I propose that they start listing the capacity of a length and a diameter. That way when your shopping for line you know how much will fit. 14lb test from one manufacturer to the next is not even close to the same. Even within the same brand there can be vast differences. Berkeley XL #10 is .011" and XT is .014 unless you buy the filler spool which is somehow .011". Now that's magic. Nano fill is .007 for the same rating. So what line is the box using when it says it holds 200 yards of 10lb test.
angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Why do we list line capacity in LB test.

Postby GARRIGA » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:12 pm

Most JDM reels list diameter and in mm which is more exact than inches. I buy based on diameter and not pound test. Same for line regardless if it's mono, Copolymer, Fluoro or braid.
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby ClearCreek » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:28 pm

Listing the reel capacity with line diameter dimensions would work IF the diameter listed on the spool of line was correct. Unfortunately, in a lot of cases the line diameter listed is smaller than the actual line diameter.

ClearCreek
ClearCreek
Angler
Angler

Postby angry john » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:51 pm

GARRIGA wrote:Most JDM reels list diameter and in mm which is more exact than inches. I buy based on diameter and not pound test. Same for line regardless if it's mono, Copolymer, Fluoro or braid.

I started buying line the very same way based on the education i have received on this site. =D> It makes a lot more sense that way.
angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby njbasscat » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:30 pm

I am trying to get my brain to think in line diameter vs lb test. I now look at the diameter before I purchase line to compare one with another. For the past fifty years we have all been trained to think in terms of lb test and when there were only a handful of companies making line it worked fine. There are so many to choose from today. JDM lines seem to be much more accurately rated compared to USDM lines which tend to break much higher than the listed lb test but are much thicker as well. I sure wish there was an industry standard that every line manufacturer had to use when rating lines.
njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby dragon1 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:01 pm

Marketing/standardizing/categorizing..."sizing".
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby angry john » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:33 pm

njbasscat wrote: I sure wish there was an industry standard that every line manufacturer had to use when rating lines.

I totally agree :D . I think line comparison charts and testing should be done by comparable dia not manufacture rated test. These results would make it a lot easier to find the real quality product.
angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby uljersey » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:02 am

Good points brought up. Makes me think about things differently, especially when you factor in most lines don't break anywhere close to their rating.
uljersey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby GARRIGA » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:34 am

On average, the typical American buyer wants the perception they are getting more bang for the buck versus getting what was paid for. Therefore, marketing 25# diameter line as 20# is perceived as stronger 20# and a better value. Stupid is what stupid does.
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby q1w2e3_89 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:36 pm

That's exactly why I like the Japanese rating. When they say PE1.5, every buyer knows damn well what it means because the line ratings are based on diameter, not pound test.
q1w2e3_89
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby zalan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:22 am

In EU, manufacturers use line diameter, it sounds more logical, but they cheat here with stats as well. Many cases they say their line is thin, but to achive higher braking strength, the line is actually thicker than stated for many manufacturer. If the line is not rated properly, the line capacity is meaningless on the reel. Also there is big difference between mono and braid.
So there are lot of confusion out there and it would be great to have a standard what everyone would follow. Currently this is not the case even if they use line diameter. They are not motivated to show you the truth and only a few do.
zalan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby smalliesteve » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:56 pm

GARRIGA wrote:On average, the typical American buyer wants the perception they are getting more bang for the buck versus getting what was paid for. Therefore, marketing 25# diameter line as 20# is perceived as stronger 20# and a better value. Stupid is what stupid does.

Before you paint with too broad a brush... keep in mind that in the US we use different rating systems. "Test" means that the line will not break at less than rating. "Class" (IIRC) means it will not hold more than rating. So any 20lb Test is going to break at more than 20. It's cheaper to make the line a little thicker and have higher variation in thickness than it would be to have small variations at a diameter that breaks at say 21lbs.

I don't know how Japan's ratings are setup, but I would venture to say that the higher price of Japanese lines is probably partly due to smaller variations in diameter which lets them make the line closer to it's test rating without having a couple batches weaker than the rating.
My 2 cents. But hey, I'm American so... you know.
smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby GARRIGA » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:33 pm

Perhaps a broad brush but it is what it is. Ande sells there IGFA line that breaks at or below and yet it's perceived to be weaker than the normal supposedly standard brand by many I've fished with. We're unfortunately conditioned to expect more than paid for. Not a knock but just what I've experienced or perhaps mostly perceived. Wished it weren't so but it's easier to market the flashy than sell the truth. Easier to rename and repaint a Curado than just say we've raised the price because it needed to be so.

All that nonsense aside, I'll pay extra for good line knowing I'm getting what I paid for and not hoping to get more bang than I was owed. Diameter from a quality line is a better guage than pound test listed on a fancy colored box with lots of outlandish hype. BTW, I'm an American too. ;)
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby pro reel » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:49 pm

This seems to have become a discusion on line and not reels. The question was why are the capacities of reels listed in the yds of a certain test of line. That doesn't tell us much now because so many lines vary size quite a bit for the same test. Reels should be listed in capacity of a yds of a certain diameter. That still would not cover all when the diameter is a little different than listed, but it would be a heck of a lot closes than test lbs. Does anyone know if there was a certain brand or diameter that was used as the basis back when mono was the norm?
pro reel
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby GARRIGA » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:03 am

How successful would reel manufacturers be if they listed 160 yards of 33mm versus 10# test? Unfortunately, the end consumer is forced to do their research and seek the diameter to best understand what the reel actually holds. One buying an $89 reel is most likely not going to bother but one seeking enthusiast level may. Would be nice to make things simple and standard but marketing campaignes don't benefit from that or work like that.

From what I've seen there's no standard to the diameter used for comparison and why one reel's 100 yards of 10# may differ from another's. In this case the educated consumer is the best equipped to not get duped or disappointed.
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Next

Return to Reels