Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
User avatar
Loafer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:23 pm
Location: Russian Federation
Contact:

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby Loafer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:25 pm

LowRange wrote:It looks like the Casitas spool is deeper. :-k

Looks like it.

Dalleinf wrote:If the DIY spools come with SVS then I am a happy camper...

I think these spools without brakes and need replace SVS from original spool. But, will see.

Dalleinf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby Dalleinf » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:36 pm

If the spools are without SVS then they are of little interest to me. The newer gen SVS takes a little violence to remove and it has to be glued to a new spool. At least that was my experience with Met MGL and KTF spool.

User avatar
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2215
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:28 am

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby Bootytrain » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:05 pm

Dalleinf wrote:If the spools are without SVS then they are of little interest to me. The newer gen SVS takes a little violence to remove and it has to be glued to a new spool. At least that was my experience with Met MGL and KTF spool.

Yeah I applaud them to be the first to make a spool for these reels but Ill need some more info. SVS infinity on a light BFS spool is awesome.

User avatar
Tony9
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:38 am

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby Tony9 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:25 am

Just got in my DIY Alphas spool. My initial impression is that the quality is pretty good. Can't wait to give it a spin.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Also came with a free gift!
Image

wandyhee
Angler
Angler
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:23 pm
Location: Miri, Borneo
Contact:

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby wandyhee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:36 pm

got mine today, for 2016 Daiwa Tatula CT

Nice packing
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:17 am

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby alafly » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:44 am

Does this DIY spool feel like SV spool when casting light lure?

Thanks.

wandyhee wrote:got mine today, for 2016 Daiwa Tatula CT

Nice packing
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
"North" of America...

wandyhee
Angler
Angler
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:23 pm
Location: Miri, Borneo
Contact:

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby wandyhee » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:28 am

I have yet casting with this spool, looking to do that by weekend. I plan to use this on my ultralight setup, 1-6 lb rod, using 5lbs fluorocarbon main line and 1/8oz (3.5g) lure for pacific tarpon and Barramundi

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:30 am

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby Mike and Pike » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:04 am

wandyhee wrote:I have yet casting with this spool, looking to do that by weekend. I plan to use this on my ultralight setup, 1-6 lb rod, using 5lbs fluorocarbon main line and 1/8oz (3.5g) lure for pacific tarpon and Barramundi

:shock: :shock: :shock:

wandyhee
Angler
Angler
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:23 pm
Location: Miri, Borneo
Contact:

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby wandyhee » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:52 am

Here's my first impression review video of RAY'S STUDIO microspool for Tatula CT

https://youtu.be/H77xQ6QGRRA

toddmc
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby toddmc » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:14 am

What kind of time frame am I looking at for shipping from this dealer to CA? I ordered a Zillion spool and a few knob caps the other day.

User avatar
Tony9
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:38 am

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby Tony9 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:44 am

I weighed the Alphas spool last night. 10g with bearing. Heavier than I expected. I was hoping for around 9g.

Image

User avatar
Tony9
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:38 am

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby Tony9 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:45 am

toddmc wrote:What kind of time frame am I looking at for shipping from this dealer to CA? I ordered a Zillion spool and a few knob caps the other day.


I'm in CA. I ordered mine on 3/1, delivered on 3/14.

User avatar
alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:17 am

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby alafly » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:30 am

Nice video, thank you!

So next video is casting side by side (original VS DIY)? \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

wandyhee wrote:Here's my first impression review video of RAY'S STUDIO microspool for Tatula CT

https://youtu.be/H77xQ6QGRRA
"North" of America...

toddmc
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby toddmc » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:59 am

Tony9 wrote:
toddmc wrote:What kind of time frame am I looking at for shipping from this dealer to CA? I ordered a Zillion spool and a few knob caps the other day.


I'm in CA. I ordered mine on 3/1, delivered on 3/14.

Thanks

User avatar
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2082
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:20 am
Location: Glen Carbon, Illinois

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby IlliniDawg01 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:10 am

I just got a Flat black one for one of my new Tat CT Type Rs as well. Very nice. I'm excited to try it out for UL fishing on my Ugly Stick Elite. It is a perfect cosmetic match :lol:

DaveJ


Return to “Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ibobpeb, ujin_b and 17 guests