Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby hoohoorjoo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:22 am

Tony9 wrote:I weighed the Alphas spool last night. 10g with bearing. Heavier than I expected. I was hoping for around 9g.

The entire bearing doesn't spin with the spool, so the inertia of the spool isn't affected by the total weight. Technically, the inner race doesn't move during the cast as the spool spins, so it can be discounted.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby adam lancia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:00 pm

I think you mean the outer race Tim. The inner race, balls and cage all spin on cast and retrieve. Either way though, that's still a pretty light spool for $50 and not being made of magnesium and not having an aluminum spool shaft.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Postby hoohoorjoo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:26 am

adam lancia wrote:I think you mean the outer race Tim. The inner race, balls and cage all spin on cast and retrieve. Either way though, that's still a pretty light spool for $50 and not being made of magnesium and not having an aluminum spool shaft.

Yep, I must've just mis-typed. :oops: And yes, that's still plenty light. The Alphas remains my favorite platform, so I am very tempted to get one or 3 for myself.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby adam lancia » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:23 am

No worries, it could be worse though. At least you didn't misspeak about how to install a muffler bearing or flux capacitory :laugh1: :laugh1:

wandyhee
Angler
Angler

Postby wandyhee » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:13 pm

Okay, just received package contained RAY'S STUDIO spool for my T3 MX today, which also fit on few others DAIWA bc reels. since I also have Zillion SV TW in hand, might also compare it side by side on spool weight with SV spool. here's few picture taken just now

package

bubble wrap

spool case

spool plastic wrap (inside spool case)

might add some video soon

wandyhee
Angler
Angler

Postby wandyhee » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:59 pm

Here some video review of my second RAY'S STUDIO microcast spool which fit nicely on my T3 MX and ZILLION SV TW.

https://youtu.be/LTPgeXpsLtY

LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LowRange » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:24 am

That taobao site has a kit that allows you to swap an SV inductor with a DIY one. This is something I have wanted to do to make the SV spools a litle faster and cast further. The DIY spool's inductors are much thinner than the SV inductors and don't brake as hard.

Josh-G
Angler
Angler

Postby Josh-G » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:52 pm

LowRange wrote:That taobao site has a kit that allows you to swap an SV inductor with a DIY one.

What´s taobao? :-k Never heard of that.

Return to “Reels”