Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Houndfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby Houndfish » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:52 am

zodiak311 wrote:I noticed this as well, the spool pin is actually tapered. The only thing that really holds it in place is the textured part of the pin. Could be an issue in the long run if the pin gets loose over time, and comes out when the reel is disengaged.

I don't know enough about the inner workings of the reel, but how far out of the "slot" does the pin move during use? I had thought to try and get a measurement of the hole and try to find a slightly larger pin, but my cheap calipers were not giving me a consistent reading to find the hole size.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby zodiak311 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:54 am

It doesn't move at all, I was just saying that it could happen over time if the pin is removed multiple times, it could get looser over time.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Houndfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Houndfish » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:14 am

Ah, got you. Hopefully I will never have to remove it again, I am pretty happy with the Air BFS bearing and can't see a reason to change it. Hell, I hope to not have to remove it from the reel very often, the thing is so light and thin that I fear even a fall of a few inches to my workbench could damage it.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:51 pm

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Postby hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:54 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Will this spool work in a T3?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DAIWA-STEEZ ... 2381777422

No, the shaft is slightly longer and it won't work. But the reverse isn't true. A T3 spool will work in a Steez or TDZ.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LowRange » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:00 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Will this spool work in a T3?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DAIWA-STEEZ ... 2381777422

Maybe. The T3 and 103 spools are very similar and it is possible that Ray's Studio was tired of making two different, incredibly similar spools and made the spool able to fit both platforms. It also possible that the sellers with adds stating 103 and T3 compatibility simply can't tell the difference between the two spools and are falsely advertising the spool as 103 and T3 compatible.

I'm not sure which one is the case but I notice that Weihai Fishing Store on Aliexpress has the same spool with the same T3/103 compatibility. It appears that the 103 and T3 spools are no longer sold as separate spools since the spools changed over to a satin finish with black inductor and are now sold as a T3/103 spool. I'm going to message the seller and see if I can't get some more info.

Update: they claim that the spool is compatible between T3 and TD-Z 103.
Attachments
DIYSpool.png
DIYSpool.png (30.81 KiB) Viewed 533 times

QUAKEnSHAKE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:19 am

Thanks for the info

LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LowRange » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:20 am

Got my 'studio of momo' Black Max 3 spool. Build quality is very nice and it is well balanced. I spooled it up with some #4 XL and mounted it on the Teton 662L and did some test casts in the yard. The spool is very well controlled and casts a 3/32 shaky head well. It was very windy outside and casts into the wind with high mag brake were thumb free and low mag settings with the wind were able to almost spool the reel. There's no inductor to worry about becoming unglued like the DIY spools and no centrifugal brakes to fall off like the Haibo Smart spools. Very nice spool for $30. Stock bearings on both the spool and reel are not BFS friendly. With 0 spool tension and no mag dial the 3/32 jig head would slowly drop when the clutch was pressed. I've got some DIY micro bearings to put on to see if I can't free it up a bit. The Black Max 3 with BFS spool just bumped the Smart off the Teton.

LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LowRange » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:39 am

Just saw this. Pre CT only. DIY Tatula Long Cast spool. It looks like a deep DIY with an inductor that sits away from the magnets when retracted. I wonder if operates through Air Brake or through a Magforce Z type operation. I've got a Tat pre-CT type R so I gotta nab one of these. Looks promising.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 0.0.wNWmoi

LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LowRange » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:48 am

More new Abu goodies. Abu Revo carbon drag stars. I've got the Daiwa ones and like them a lot but have been waiting for a Revo 3 IB in sky blue to come out. More sky blue for the Revo 3 IB Deez build.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 0.0.lFVcaD

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

IlliniDawg01

Postby IlliniDawg01 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:05 am

LowRange wrote:Just saw this. Pre CT only. DIY Tatula Long Cast spool. It looks like a deep DIY with an inductor that sits away from the magnets when retracted. I wonder if operates through Air Brake or through a Magforce Z type operation. I've got a Tat pre-CT type R so I gotta nab one of these. Looks promising.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 0.0.wNWmoi

Nice. I hope they start making deeper versions with holes for all the reels...especially a deep ported Pixy spool.

DaveJ

LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LowRange » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:35 am

Tat pre-CT long bomb spool in red and Abu sky blue carbon drag star ordered.

Loafer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Loafer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:21 am

LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LowRange » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:51 am

Very nice. Casitas and 70 Scorpion. I was waiting for Shimano to get their act together and release a Yumeya spool for the 70 but DIY will do for now. I want to see what BFS + SVS can do. It looks like the Casitas spool is deeper. :-k

Dalleinf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Dalleinf » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:15 pm

If the DIY spools come with SVS then I am a happy camper...

Return to “Reels”