Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby LowRange » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:17 am

70 spool
Casitas spool

Weihai fishing store:

70 spool https://www.aliexpress.com/item/accesso ... 0727ac347a

Casitas spool https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Spool-a ... 0727ac347a

Scorpion/Curado 70 spools are out. 10.3 grams, 50m of 8lb line and non brake shoes. Not sure how I feel about this. It's heavier and holds less line than an Alphas DIY. Looks like the Casitas spool holds 20 meters more of 1.5 PE/6lb mono over the 70 spool.

I'm looking for a reel and spool to pair to a Volkey 68L BFS to throw 1/8 jig heads and 3 inch plastics really far on #20 8 carrier. I'll toss a 4 inch swimming dinger on a 1/8 oz spider head over weed flats all season long but I kept spooling the DIY in the SS SV with that bait and line on long casts so I moved it down to a 65UL Volkey. I'm looking to throw 3/16 to 1/4 total weight max distance with enough control to handle some wind.

Budget BFS Casitas build (10g 1.5pe 80m SVS) or TDZ US Trail with TD Zillion DIY (10g 1.5pe 100m Air Brake thin inductor) or Tatula CT with Tat CT DIY (10.2g 80m Air Brake thin inductor + TWS) :-k

LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LowRange » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:24 am

STOP TAKING ALL OF MY MONEY CHINA

DIY thin and tapered inductor brake assembly. I personally think the SV spool inductors are too thick on a lot of the spools. The DIY spools are great casters and I think the thin tapered inductor is part of that equation. I would like to see how an SV spool with a swapped inductor performs.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 0.0.LXOpzK

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Bootytrain » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:14 am

LowRange wrote:Image
70 spool
Casitas spool

Weihai fishing store:

70 spool https://www.aliexpress.com/item/accesso ... 0727ac347a

Casitas spool https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Spool-a ... 0727ac347a

Scorpion/Curado 70 spools are out. 10.3 grams, 50m of 8lb line and non brake shoes. Not sure how I feel about this. It's heavier and holds less line than an Alphas DIY. Looks like the Casitas spool holds 20 meters more of 1.5 PE/6lb mono over the 70 spool.

I'm looking for a reel and spool to pair to a Volkey 68L BFS to throw 1/8 jig heads and 3 inch plastics really far on #20 8 carrier. I'll toss a 4 inch swimming dinger on a 1/8 oz spider head over weed flats all season long but I kept spooling the DIY in the SS SV with that bait and line on long casts so I moved it down to a 65UL Volkey. I'm looking to throw 3/16 to 1/4 total weight max distance with enough control to handle some wind.

Budget BFS Casitas build (10g 1.5pe 80m SVS) or TDZ US Trail with TD Zillion DIY (10g 1.5pe 100m Air Brake thin inductor) or Tatula CT with Tat CT DIY (10.2g 80m Air Brake thin inductor + TWS) :-k

I wouldnt worry too much about that spool weight Low Range. My gold Yumeya BFS spool weights 10.8 grams with bearing so maybe 9.8 grams rotating weight. But it casts light lures down to 2 grams better than all my Mag brake BFS reels. Only the Core 50 with the 0918 Avail spool can match it. I think the centrifugal characteristics are better for lightweight distance casting since the major issue(at least for me) is the overrun at the start of the cast when trying to get a light lure out there. Im ordering one but I wonder if those tweezers come with it? :lol:

LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LowRange » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:02 am

lol looks like I'm going to need a set too. Seriously considering picking up one of these spools and a reel for my Volkey 682L. I'm looking to throw 4-8 gram search baits for max distance. The stock spool in the Casitas MGL would work but where's the fun in that? I want the smoothness, aluminum and color of a curado 70 but I want that deeper Casitas DIY. 60 meters of 1.5 pe is around 200 feet of #20 braid however when the spool is filled properly with a small gap at the rim then the overall capacity is reduced by as much half. I was throwing 3/16 on the Daiwa DIY 100 feet and spooling it. The Casitas DIY will hold 65 feet more line which is what I'm after.

I never thought I'd stick a Casitas on a Volkey but why not. They'er good little reels stock and great distance casters.

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby alafly » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:06 am

Hi LowRange,

as you have bought a lot of those spools from aliexpress, do you who is Ray behind those ali sellers? O:)

Does he have any official seller site on ali? I always want to support those original owner for creative things if I can.

I thought that "weihai fishing" was the seller and manufacturer. I guess I am wrong.

LowRange wrote:lol looks like I'm going to need a set too. Seriously considering picking up one of these spools and a reel for my Volkey 682L. I'm looking to throw 4-8 gram search baits for max distance. The stock spool in the Casitas MGL would work but where's the fun in that? I want the smoothness, aluminum and color of a curado 70 but I want that deeper Casitas DIY. 60 meters of 1.5 pe is around 200 feet of #20 braid however when the spool is filled properly with a small gap at the rim then the overall capacity is reduced by as much half. I was throwing 3/16 on the Daiwa DIY 100 feet and spooling it. The Casitas DIY will hold 65 feet more line which is what I'm after.

I never thought I'd stick a Casitas on a Volkey but why not. They'er good little reels stock and great distance casters.
"North" of America...

LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LowRange » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:43 am

alafly wrote:Hi LowRange,

as you have bought a lot of those spools from aliexpress, do you who is Ray behind those ali sellers? O:)

Does he have any official seller site on ali? I always want to support those original owner for creative things if I can.

I thought that "weihai fishing" was the seller and manufacturer. I guess I am wrong.

LowRange wrote:lol looks like I'm going to need a set too. Seriously considering picking up one of these spools and a reel for my Volkey 682L. I'm looking to throw 4-8 gram search baits for max distance. The stock spool in the Casitas MGL would work but where's the fun in that? I want the smoothness, aluminum and color of a curado 70 but I want that deeper Casitas DIY. 60 meters of 1.5 pe is around 200 feet of #20 braid however when the spool is filled properly with a small gap at the rim then the overall capacity is reduced by as much half. I was throwing 3/16 on the Daiwa DIY 100 feet and spooling it. The Casitas DIY will hold 65 feet more line which is what I'm after.

No, I don't know who's making the DIY parts. I suspect it's an OEM like Haibo or Trulinoya making the stuff and selling in bulk on Alibaba to Aliexpress and Ebay vendors.

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby alafly » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:24 pm

Thank you, Lowrange.

And I notice "weihai fishing" seller increased price for those spools.

LowRange wrote:
alafly wrote:Hi LowRange,

No, I don't know who's making the DIY parts. I suspect it's an OEM like Haibo or Trulinoya making the stuff and selling in bulk on Alibaba to Aliexpress and Ebay vendors.
"North" of America...

Slazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Slazmo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:06 am

Just ordered a spool for my Tatula CT. A black shallow non ported as the claimed difference was .80 grams, strange to think thats all that was between the ported and non ported.

Cant wait to get it and put it to use, only running 60 meters of main line and the amount of backing is crazy on the standard spool. Lets see how casting is improved?

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby y2k88 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:14 am

Slazmo wrote:Cant wait to get it and put it to use, only running 60 meters of main line and the amount of backing is crazy on the standard spool. Lets see how casting is improved?

Night and day for the light stuff. Well worth the money.

Slazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Slazmo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:42 pm

y2k88 wrote:
Slazmo wrote:Cant wait to get it and put it to use, only running 60 meters of main line and the amount of backing is crazy on the standard spool. Lets see how casting is improved?

See if i can cast these 1.3 gr lures somewhat better than i can now.

Also i may be the only Australian buyer there thus far. See how long it takes - paid today and shipped only 2 hours later it says - very efficient!

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby alafly » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:49 am

As shipping, my order placed on Mar. 05 has not received yet. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) BTW, I am in Canada.

Those tracking number becomes no-trackable after leaving China. :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Slazmo wrote:
y2k88 wrote:

Also i may be the only Australian buyer there thus far. See how long it takes - paid today and shipped only 2 hours later it says - very efficient!
"North" of America...

LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LowRange » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:35 am

You don't get any tracking updates until it arrives in the destination country. I had a package get stuck for two months but it did show up. You can always contact the seller to see if he can track it down.

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby alafly » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:59 pm

No, so sad. Unlike USPS, CanadaPost does not provide tracking for international registed Mail(package)....e.g. Japan e-package

The only trackable service for international package we have is EMS. ](*,)

That's why I always ask for EMS when I buy expensive reels from Japan.

LowRange wrote:You don't get any tracking updates until it arrives in the destination country. I had a package get stuck for two months but it did show up. You can always contact the seller to see if he can track it down.
"North" of America...

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby BARRAMANIAC » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:14 pm

Slazmo wrote:
y2k88 wrote:

I know of 2 of us in Australia got the DIY spools when they first come out. Got them in T3 and TDZ sizes.

Slazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Slazmo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:24 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Slazmo wrote:Also i may be the only Australian buyer there thus far. See how long it takes - paid today and shipped only 2 hours later it says - very efficient!

BARRAMANIAC wrote:I know of 2 of us in Australia got the DIY spools when they first come out. Got them in T3 and TDZ sizes.

Well I got to be a first for the Tatula CT :doh:

Return to “Reels”