Spool bearing on handle side, Daiwa Tatula

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1195
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Spool bearing on handle side, Daiwa Tatula

Postby LgMouthGambler » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:49 pm

Wanted to flush the bearings on my new Tatula CT, but the handle side bearing has a weird retainer. Who the neck designed this? Why not a normal wire clip? Anyone remove one yet? Tricks? Did you replace it with a normal clip?

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Spool bearing on handle side, Daiwa Tatula

Postby PikeRoadBassn » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:48 am

I have tuned a few of these, but have not attempted to replace them with a standard retainer. One thing I can tell you though, is you will not gain any casting performance by flushing and or upgrading that particular bearing.

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1195
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: Spool bearing on handle side, Daiwa Tatula

Postby LgMouthGambler » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:09 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:I have tuned a few of these, but have not attempted to replace them with a standard retainer. One thing I can tell you though, is you will not gain any casting performance by flushing and or upgrading that particular bearing.


So have you actually removed that particular bearing? If so, can you reuse that retainer? It looks like it would bend to all hell in the process. :lol: There are no other spool bearings other than that and the one in the palm plate, so what does the spool spin off of in total?

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4430
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Spool bearing on handle side, Daiwa Tatula

Postby Hogsticker2 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:37 am

I had an old Daiwa Aggrest that Ian tuned for me. I would imagine carefully removing the clip, trying to bend it the least amount possible is really the only option. If it isn't too brittle, what little amount you do bend it you can likely bend back into position. A tiny flathead screwdriver should work before and after installation.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Spool bearing on handle side, Daiwa Tatula

Postby PikeRoadBassn » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:52 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
PikeRoadBassn wrote:I have tuned a few of these, but have not attempted to replace them with a standard retainer. One thing I can tell you though, is you will not gain any casting performance by flushing and or upgrading that particular bearing.


So have you actually removed that particular bearing? If so, can you reuse that retainer? It looks like it would bend to all hell in the process. :lol: There are no other spool bearings other than that and the one in the palm plate, so what does the spool spin off of in total?


My apologies. I was half asleep when I wrote my reply. My brain was thinking of the pinion bearing when I was talking about no added performance. The bearing retainer on the inside of the gear plate is not bad. A small hook tool will pop it right out. I flip them when I reinstall them and press each "tab" back down with a screw driver. My apologies for the mis direction.

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1195
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: Spool bearing on handle side, Daiwa Tatula

Postby LgMouthGambler » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:16 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
PikeRoadBassn wrote:I have tuned a few of these, but have not attempted to replace them with a standard retainer. One thing I can tell you though, is you will not gain any casting performance by flushing and or upgrading that particular bearing.


So have you actually removed that particular bearing? If so, can you reuse that retainer? It looks like it would bend to all hell in the process. :lol: There are no other spool bearings other than that and the one in the palm plate, so what does the spool spin off of in total?


My apologies. I was half asleep when I wrote my reply. My brain was thinking of the pinion bearing when I was talking about no added performance. The bearing retainer on the inside of the gear plate is not bad. A small hook tool will pop it right out. I flip them when I reinstall them and press each "tab" back down with a screw driver. My apologies for the mis direction.


No worries. Thanks for the clarification

wandyhee
Angler
Angler
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:23 pm
Location: Miri, Borneo
Contact:

Re: Spool bearing on handle side, Daiwa Tatula

Postby wandyhee » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:27 pm

old thread but I think it's still relevant to reply. I've removed those bearing retainer in my Tatula CT (inside tension knob), it pop out easily but once installed back, shape is deformed and now it's look ugly even though it doesn't affect bearing spin performance. I hope it can be replace with spring type common bearing retainer just like the one they put on side plate but i'm not sure if it's fit or not.
Last edited by wandyhee on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Slazmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 11:43 pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Contact:

Re: Spool bearing on handle side, Daiwa Tatula

Postby Slazmo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:39 pm

When i next service my CT I'm going to carefully melt in a retainer clip divot and rid myself of that press star washer.

Very much a crap idea to hold a bearing if I've ever seen one from a big company especially Daiwa...


Return to “Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests