Daiwa tournament ss handle swap

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa tournament ss handle swap

Postby timsford » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:58 pm

Does anyone know of any other handles that will fit the daiwa tournament ss 1300? It has the hex shaped shaft that goes through the reel body and then has a screw to hold in place from the opposite side. I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything. I'm pretty sure I remember pics and info on using an aftermarket handle off ebay, but I can't remember the brand or if it can use other daiwa knobs. Or is there a stock handle anyone has swapped in on this reel. I added the bearing under the bottom cover on all 4 of my ss 1300's, but I really wish I could use a different knob. I know these reels are behind the times and use outdated technology, but I haven't found any other spinning reel I could afford to try that lasts as long and casts as well. Any help with the handle and also any other tricks and upgrades for these reels would be greatly appreciated and put to good use. Thanks TT!

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa tournament ss handle swap

Postby Snyder Rods » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:14 pm

Sorry I don't know about a handle.

Those reels do cast a little farther. That design is from 1989. Too bad they can't upgrade them with instant anti-reverse and balanced rotor.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby timsford » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:38 am

The reel not having instant anti reverse is a non issue for me as I have never had a bad Hooksett or lost fish because of it. Honestly I've never noticed at all until you brought it up. And I mostly use mine for techniques and baits that I work with the rod and basically just take up slack a foot or two at a time, so the rotor wobbling a little is something I can deal with. It may not have instant anti reverse, balanced rotor, or very many bearings, but there are very few if any reels that can take the abuse it can and still work like new in any price range, and especially at a little over 100 bucks. I know I've seen pics on here of the handle I'm talking about, but I can't remember the brand and it was fairly expensive (nearly the cost of a nib 1300ss. It was red and black and I believe I've seen a gold and black one. It comes in a kit with a few different shanks to fit through the body of different reels. I'd really like to find a daiwa or other om handle so I can switch to cork knows or at least some type of soft rubber knob in a little larger size.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby uljersey » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:35 am

A Reel Grip works just fine 8-)

Hanover
Angler
Angler

Postby Hanover » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:17 pm

Link to other thread with some handle pictures:

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=65921

Just put this handle on the reel... dual bearing knob spins very freely, makes the reel little nicer to work.

That's a 30mm knob, I could have gone with the 35mm.

Return to “Reels”