Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:02 am

Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Postby Hennessy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:21 am

I feel like this should be a much needed topic. Ive watched video after video on the chronarch and on paper both reels seems so close. But retail price says otherwise. And after the high score the chronarch got, i was kind of shocked. It seems like the TT reviewer's are favorites of the chronarch line, which might have influenced the point system a bit. Was kind of disappointed that 2 mgl reels have been reviewed & the metanium mgl has not, im sure one's coming. Maybe the metanium retail is over priced and the chronarch is the "right" price point. We all know that the reels are only maybe $50 difference in price considering where you buy them at. I have 2 mgls, just curious about the over $100 retail performance, if there is one. Imo, if the chronarch get that great of a score, the metanium should be over 9. Seems like there's twice the hype on the chronarch than the metanium. I did see the chronarch mgl has a 96mm handle on the xg. Surely theres ONE person out there that has spent time with both and can chime in. And maybe someone has fished the '13 metanium and the chronarch mgl.

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 9998
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

Re: Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Postby Cal » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:35 am

Hennessy wrote: I did see the chronarch mgl has a 96mm handle on the xg.


The Metanium MGL is supposed to have the 96mm handle on the XG as well.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

User avatar
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 5:49 pm
Location: Edmond, OK

Re: Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Postby rockchalk06 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:47 am

Cal wrote:
Hennessy wrote: I did see the chronarch mgl has a 96mm handle on the xg.


The Metanium MGL is supposed to have the 96mm handle on the XG as well.



It does.

Can you give us any time frame on the Metanium MGL review?
Rock Chalk Hawg Hunting

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 9998
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

Re: Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Postby Cal » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:53 am

rockchalk06 wrote:Can you give us any time frame on the Metanium MGL review?


Sooner rather than later :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

User avatar
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2211
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:28 am

Re: Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Postby Bootytrain » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:01 am

I've got both and so far it's Metanium, but... It's because I blew the chronarch up less than 10 casts in lol

TahoeDust
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:04 pm

Re: Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Postby TahoeDust » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:19 am

If the comparison is anything like between the '13 Metanium and the Chronarch CI4+, it is not even close.

User avatar
Big-Bass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1211
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:59 am
Location: Northeast

Re: Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Postby Big-Bass » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:50 am

Is the Chronarch MGL a better reel based on features (outside of the Mg frame on the Metanium MGL)? How does the Chronarch MGL compare to the Editor's Choice Ci4+ Chronarch? I have the chance to get the Metanium MGL, the Chronarch MGL, and/or the Chronarch C14+. Thanks!

Scuba Scott
Angler
Angler
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Postby Scuba Scott » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:21 pm

I own both Metanium MGL HG and Chronarch MGL in the 6.2:1 ratio. I have limited time on the Chronarch but so far I really like it. The Metanium is an excellent reel and I have found that I prefer it for bottom contact fishing. It has found a home on my finesse jig stick. It has a shorter handle than the chronarch and a few other differences. One is the palm sided brake adjustment that clicks. I prefer this over the Metanium. The other are the brass gears in the chronarch. I bought the chronarch to fish square bill type crankbaits. So far, I'm very happy with what I have seen out of the Chronarch. Both reels cast extremely well, and may take a little time to dial in right where you want them. They cast so well that, more times than not , you have to use more braking than you did on your older Shimano's. The MGL spools and micro module gearing are a sweet combo. At its price point, I feel like the Chronarch is hard to beat.

JBcrankaddict
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1128
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Postby JBcrankaddict » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:07 am

Much prefer the Chronarch for moving baits, and those brass MM gears make it even better. I've been fishing Rhythm Waves on my Met and swapped over to the Chr., and won't be switching back. Love the Met for bottom contact techniques though.

Anybody have the old and new Ch know if the gears swap? Review said the spool and sideplate swap, so hopefully the gears would.

mark poulson
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler
Posts: 1448
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Postby mark poulson » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:14 am

Cal wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:Can you give us any time frame on the Metanium MGL review?


Sooner rather than later :lol:


Tease! You sound like my ex! :lol: :lol: :lol:

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1987
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: Northern Kentucky

Re: Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Postby DavidSA » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:48 am

I appreciate this thread. I put the Met MGL through its paces last week and it is a reel (pun intended) winner. I'm able to use the same brake settings I do on my older 13 Mets which is 1 brake ON and external dial. I cast head on into heavy wind with little issue. Smooth as glass and long even with no cleaning of spool bearings. I'd be hard pressed not to buy this over the Chronarch unless I was using it for moving baits.

User avatar
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 5:49 pm
Location: Edmond, OK

Re: Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Postby rockchalk06 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:06 am

I've got two Met MGL XG's. One is tricked to the gills with bearings and custom parts. One is stock. Both are absolute gems to fish with. I can't honestly see getting the CH MGL with the price difference unless the CH is just all that and a bag of potato chips.

I know the CH palms better for some, but both fit me great and I have small hands.
Rock Chalk Hawg Hunting

leggomye990
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:34 pm
Location: ON, Canada

Re: Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Postby leggomye990 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:59 am

Finally... someone came up with this thread. I have a MET MGL in 6.x.x I have a lot of hours on it last year, I was using it for all my moving baits.. squarebills, jerkbaits, spinners. etc... I love it.

This year I am adding another moving bait rod to my collection and since this is TT I cant just use 1 reel, a new rod means a new reel to go with it lol been really thinking if I want to try the Chro MGL or stick with what I know and love and get another Met MGL??!?!

paulito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:24 am

Re: Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Postby paulito » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:37 pm

leggomye990 wrote:Finally... someone came up with this thread. I have a MET MGL in 6.x.x I have a lot of hours on it last year, I was using it for all my moving baits.. squarebills, jerkbaits, spinners. etc... I love it.

This year I am adding another moving bait rod to my collection and since this is TT I cant just use 1 reel, a new rod means a new reel to go with it lol been really thinking if I want to try the Chro MGL or stick with what I know and love and get another Met MGL??!?!


I'd go met mgl for since it weighs less. But the brass gears of the chronarch.... shoot dilema dilema!

mark poulson
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler
Posts: 1448
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl thread

Postby mark poulson » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:48 pm

paulito wrote:
leggomye990 wrote:Finally... someone came up with this thread. I have a MET MGL in 6.x.x I have a lot of hours on it last year, I was using it for all my moving baits.. squarebills, jerkbaits, spinners. etc... I love it.

This year I am adding another moving bait rod to my collection and since this is TT I cant just use 1 reel, a new rod means a new reel to go with it lol been really thinking if I want to try the Chro MGL or stick with what I know and love and get another Met MGL??!?!


I'd go met mgl for since it weighs less. But the brass gears of the chronarch.... shoot dilema dilema!


I'd give up .3 oz to have brass gears all day long.


Return to “Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests