Old Shimano Spool Weight

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Old Shimano Spool Weight

Postby DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:17 pm

I hated to make a new thread for a simple question, but after some accidental research I noticed something strange.
From all I read, the new Curado 70's spool weight is 15.5-15 grams... I then was reading a non-related tackle topic and noticed where someone said their stock Curado 50e spool weighed either 11 or 12 grams. Is this a mistake I have noticed or a general trend? It shocked me to think an older reel like this was possibly significantly less than so many others including SV spools that pride themselves in lightweight and special aluminum. Maybe there is more to it, I just want to hear ANY input because this has had me confused all day.
Spool weight is something that has always interested me, I can cast light fine with my Zillion TWS reels though and they weigh like 16 grams so it isn't a do or die, just an engineering interest.
Also, if anyone has any input on newer Lew's or Abu spool weights I would love to know them... found out my Tatula HD spool weight was 22 grams, kind of a bummer.

User avatar
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2214
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:28 am

Re: Old Shimano Spool Weight

Postby Bootytrain » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:01 pm

Yeah the old Curado 50E had an 11 gram spool. But the new 70 has a significantly shallower spool. So it may be a wash because the 70 can handle BFS lures respectably. I think Shimano did this on purpose to seperate the 70 from the Aldebaran 50 which has an 11ish gram spool.

DirtyD64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Old Shimano Spool Weight

Postby DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:13 pm

Bootytrain wrote:Yeah the old Curado 50E had an 11 gram spool. But the new 70 has a significantly shallower spool. So it may be a wash because the 70 can handle BFS lures respectably. I think Shimano did this on purpose to seperate the 70 from the Aldebaran 50 which has an 11ish gram spool.


So... are you saying that because the newer 70 is shallower that the total weight is less (with line) so it allows it to cast light lures better? That would make sense, but did the 50e cast light lures okay?

Overall, I just want to know if I buy a Chronarch MGL/Curado 70 how the light casting ability/ease will be versus SV105s or SS/SVs that I am used to. I want to try a Shimano and knew this would be the site to find out, the majority of my posts build toward this upcoming purchase.

User avatar
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2214
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:28 am

Re: Old Shimano Spool Weight

Postby Bootytrain » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:38 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:Yeah the old Curado 50E had an 11 gram spool. But the new 70 has a significantly shallower spool. So it may be a wash because the 70 can handle BFS lures respectably. I think Shimano did this on purpose to seperate the 70 from the Aldebaran 50 which has an 11ish gram spool.


So... are you saying that because the newer 70 is shallower that the total weight is less (with line) so it allows it to cast light lures better? That would make sense, but did the 50e cast light lures okay?

Overall, I just want to know if I buy a Chronarch MGL/Curado 70 how the light casting ability/ease will be versus SV105s or SS/SVs that I am used to. I want to try a Shimano and knew this would be the site to find out, the majority of my posts build toward this upcoming purchase.

I would say it the shallower spool would equalize the performance. The new brakes may have something to do with it as well. How The old 50s were awesome with light lures through. Id go Aldebaran 50. I have an SS SV and the Aldebaran 50 trumps it across the board. I guess it would all depend on how light you are trying to throw.

DirtyD64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Old Shimano Spool Weight

Postby DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:08 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:Yeah the old Curado 50E had an 11 gram spool. But the new 70 has a significantly shallower spool. So it may be a wash because the 70 can handle BFS lures respectably. I think Shimano did this on purpose to seperate the 70 from the Aldebaran 50 which has an 11ish gram spool.


So... are you saying that because the newer 70 is shallower that the total weight is less (with line) so it allows it to cast light lures better? That would make sense, but did the 50e cast light lures okay?

Overall, I just want to know if I buy a Chronarch MGL/Curado 70 how the light casting ability/ease will be versus SV105s or SS/SVs that I am used to. I want to try a Shimano and knew this would be the site to find out, the majority of my posts build toward this upcoming purchase.

I would say it the shallower spool would equalize the performance. The new brakes may have something to do with it as well. How The old 50s were awesome with light lures through. Id go Aldebaran 50. I have an SS SV and the Aldebaran 50 trumps it across the board. I guess it would all depend on how light you are trying to throw.


Not too light, maybe like an eighth or 3/16 head with a 2.8 or 3.3 Keitech. The lightest I go on my SV105 is 1/16 Owner Ball Head w/ 2.8 Keitech and 8lb Fluoro. I might throw the smaller sized jerkbaits though too and even though they weigh more the aerodynamics are sometimes off. I wish I had the money for an Aldebaran 50 and have plans to update my setups once I get out of college, just gonna be a few years. For now, its around $200-300 reel, $150 max (not including sales or if I really like one) rod. I am really torn between the Chronarch MGL or waiting for a TW sale on the Zillion SV TW, 80% chance one of those, 20% chance I grab another SV105 before gone or try the SV103 which I trust.

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1133
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: Old Shimano Spool Weight

Postby LgMouthGambler » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:24 am

I would just find a nice 50E series Shimano and be done with it. They are better reels IMO.
<")))><{

User avatar
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2214
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:28 am

Re: Old Shimano Spool Weight

Postby Bootytrain » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:57 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:Yeah the old Curado 50E had an 11 gram spool. But the new 70 has a significantly shallower spool. So it may be a wash because the 70 can handle BFS lures respectably. I think Shimano did this on purpose to seperate the 70 from the Aldebaran 50 which has an 11ish gram spool.


So... are you saying that because the newer 70 is shallower that the total weight is less (with line) so it allows it to cast light lures better? That would make sense, but did the 50e cast light lures okay?

Overall, I just want to know if I buy a Chronarch MGL/Curado 70 how the light casting ability/ease will be versus SV105s or SS/SVs that I am used to. I want to try a Shimano and knew this would be the site to find out, the majority of my posts build toward this upcoming purchase.

I would say it the shallower spool would equalize the performance. The new brakes may have something to do with it as well. How The old 50s were awesome with light lures through. Id go Aldebaran 50. I have an SS SV and the Aldebaran 50 trumps it across the board. I guess it would all depend on how light you are trying to throw.


Not too light, maybe like an eighth or 3/16 head with a 2.8 or 3.3 Keitech. The lightest I go on my SV105 is 1/16 Owner Ball Head w/ 2.8 Keitech and 8lb Fluoro. I might throw the smaller sized jerkbaits though too and even though they weigh more the aerodynamics are sometimes off. I wish I had the money for an Aldebaran 50 and have plans to update my setups once I get out of college, just gonna be a few years. For now, its around $200-300 reel, $150 max (not including sales or if I really like one) rod. I am really torn between the Chronarch MGL or waiting for a TW sale on the Zillion SV TW, 80% chance one of those, 20% chance I grab another SV105 before gone or try the SV103 which I trust.

The 70 will have no problems with those weights. Id get a scorpion over a curado though. Those 2 knob bearings make a difference

DirtyD64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Old Shimano Spool Weight

Postby DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:10 am

Also assuming the Chronarch MGL will be okay doing these weights too? I actually don't mind the color of the Curado 70 and have some spare 4x7x2.5 or whatever the size is for knob bearings lying around.

User avatar
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2214
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:28 am

Re: Old Shimano Spool Weight

Postby Bootytrain » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:17 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Also assuming the Chronarch MGL will be okay doing these weights too? I actually don't mind the color of the Curado 70 and have some spare 4x7x2.5 or whatever the size is for knob bearings lying around.

I don't know, but it does have a much deeper spool. I have the MGL but have only thrown 3/8s with it. Casted it pretty far before I blew the spool up. It may be able to cast that low but I'm thinking the 70 will cast them farther because that's what it was designed for.

Aek29
Angler
Angler
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:09 am
Location: Canada

Re: Old Shimano Spool Weight

Postby Aek29 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:34 am

Bootytrain wrote:Yeah the old Curado 50E had an 11 gram spool. But the new 70 has a significantly shallower spool. So it may be a wash because the 70 can handle BFS lures respectably. I think Shimano did this on purpose to seperate the 70 from the Aldebaran 50 which has an 11ish gram spool.


Shallower in what way? Both the 50E and 70 are listed as 10/105 for mono so the line weight would be the same. Aldebaran 50 has same capacity as well.

User avatar
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2214
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:28 am

Re: Old Shimano Spool Weight

Postby Bootytrain » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:03 pm

Aek29 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:Yeah the old Curado 50E had an 11 gram spool. But the new 70 has a significantly shallower spool. So it may be a wash because the 70 can handle BFS lures respectably. I think Shimano did this on purpose to seperate the 70 from the Aldebaran 50 which has an 11ish gram spool.


Shallower in what way? Both the 50E and 70 are listed as 10/105 for mono so the line weight would be the same. Aldebaran 50 has same capacity as well.

I don't know how else to explain "shallower". I have them all, the new 50 and 70 spools are shallower and hold less line.

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1133
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: Old Shimano Spool Weight

Postby LgMouthGambler » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:52 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
Aek29 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:Yeah the old Curado 50E had an 11 gram spool. But the new 70 has a significantly shallower spool. So it may be a wash because the 70 can handle BFS lures respectably. I think Shimano did this on purpose to seperate the 70 from the Aldebaran 50 which has an 11ish gram spool.


Shallower in what way? Both the 50E and 70 are listed as 10/105 for mono so the line weight would be the same. Aldebaran 50 has same capacity as well.

I don't know how else to explain "shallower". I have them all, the new 50 and 70 spools are shallower and hold less line.


50E and 70 are rated at the same line capacity. If the 70 spool is "shallower" it's because it's wider.
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Old Shimano Spool Weight

Postby DirtyD64 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:23 am

Well, I decided to stop by Academy today while out of town. I realized the gun counter had a scale for weighing powder/bullets (or something) I asked if I could borrow it and weighed some spools.

The Shimano Curado 70 spool weighed 15.7 grams (has no bearing).

The new Abu Garcia Revo ALX spool weighed 13.4 grams (with bearing attached)

This amazed me and opened my eyes back up to my 3rd place company, it has very simple magnetic brakes, but with a weight this low must cast finesse okay, right???

In relation to this post though, that is still no where close to the 11 gram weight spool of the Curado 50e. You could also tell that the Curado 70 had the slightly more refined feeling than the ALX. The ALX seemed to have advantages like more bearings, lighter weight, ligher spool, smaller frame, etc., but at $50 more retail the Shimano "felt" better. I cannot explain to friends who aren't into nice tackle, but I know most here understand what I mean by "refined" and "feels better." This all being said, I know a few places to get good deals on Abu reels and for sure plan on trying the 8.0 ratio ALX soon.

User avatar
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2214
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:28 am

Re: Old Shimano Spool Weight

Postby Bootytrain » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:43 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
Aek29 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:Yeah the old Curado 50E had an 11 gram spool. But the new 70 has a significantly shallower spool. So it may be a wash because the 70 can handle BFS lures respectably. I think Shimano did this on purpose to seperate the 70 from the Aldebaran 50 which has an 11ish gram spool.


Shallower in what way? Both the 50E and 70 are listed as 10/105 for mono so the line weight would be the same. Aldebaran 50 has same capacity as well.

I don't know how else to explain "shallower". I have them all, the new 50 and 70 spools are shallower and hold less line.


50E and 70 are rated at the same line capacity. If the 70 spool is "shallower" it's because it's wider.

It's not wider, they are both 32/22

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1133
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: Old Shimano Spool Weight

Postby LgMouthGambler » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:21 am

Bootytrain wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
Aek29 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:Yeah the old Curado 50E had an 11 gram spool. But the new 70 has a significantly shallower spool. So it may be a wash because the 70 can handle BFS lures respectably. I think Shimano did this on purpose to seperate the 70 from the Aldebaran 50 which has an 11ish gram spool.


Shallower in what way? Both the 50E and 70 are listed as 10/105 for mono so the line weight would be the same. Aldebaran 50 has same capacity as well.

I don't know how else to explain "shallower". I have them all, the new 50 and 70 spools are shallower and hold less line.


50E and 70 are rated at the same line capacity. If the 70 spool is "shallower" it's because it's wider.

It's not wider, they are both 32/22


So if they hold the same amount of line, have the same dimension, how are the 70s more shallow?
<")))><{


Return to “Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests