Need a frogging only reel...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ccass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Need a frogging only reel...

Postby ccass » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:26 am

poisonokie wrote:I'd say a Zillion TWS, too, but I'd go with the 7.3. I feel like the 9.1 is great for flipping and pitching, but if you can't pull the fish out using the rod and are having to winch it out with the reel you'll burn those gears up, too. That goes for about any reel, but the 7.3 will outlast about any other reel in thay dept while still being fast enough to move your bait around and turn fish. Remember, the 36mm means the 7.3 is effectively the same speed as a 7.9 with a 34mm spool.

I have been punching with my 9.1 for a few years now (since it first came out in Japan) and it has been holding up. the 7.3 is more versatile if you plan on using it for other techniques.

LgMouthGambler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LgMouthGambler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:50 am

SV1030XS, TD Zillion Type-R, IP79, or J-Dream7.9
<")))><{

poisonokie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby poisonokie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:14 pm

ccass wrote:
poisonokie wrote:I'd say a Zillion TWS, too, but I'd go with the 7.3. I feel like the 9.1 is great for flipping and pitching, but if you can't pull the fish out using the rod and are having to winch it out with the reel you'll burn those gears up, too. That goes for about any reel, but the 7.3 will outlast about any other reel in thay dept while still being fast enough to move your bait around and turn fish. Remember, the 36mm means the 7.3 is effectively the same speed as a 7.9 with a 34mm spool.

I have been punching with my 9.1 for a few years now (since it first came out in Japan) and it has been holding up. the 7.3 is more versatile if you plan on using it for other techniques.

Well, that's good to know! I really dig all the zillion tws reels. The new version is freakin sweet, too.
Daiwa.Owner.

trevorvandam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby trevorvandam » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:25 am

Shimano curado e7, or Shimano scorpion xt.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby brownhl » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:06 am

I used a BPS Pro Qualifier with 50lb Sufix 832 for three years on my frog rod and it worked really well. I am a Shimano fan, but bought it on a BPS sale for $80 for the heck of it. It turned out to be a husky little reel for little money. I traded it in this year and got $50 toward a Chronarch MGL. One of my Curado I HG reels replaced it on my frog rod.

JigSlinger
Angler
Angler

Postby JigSlinger » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:31 pm

z200 for me. I mean c'mon why not. Other rig though a lil more cost friendly. I run a energy pt150. Been going strong for a long time for me. Gotta have more than one frog rig on the mighty Mississippi.

JigSlinger
Angler
Angler

Postby JigSlinger » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:50 pm

JigSlinger wrote:z200 for me. I mean c'mon why not. Other rig though a lil more cost friendly. I run a energy pt150. Been going strong for a long time for me. Gotta have more than one frog rig on the mighty Mississippi.

If I were going to buy a new reel 200 or under I'd look at something in the tatula lineup. Pry the type hd. Love frogging the river. See ya out there.

Return to “Reels”