Okuma spinning reels?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
duke608
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Okuma spinning reels?

Postby duke608 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:40 pm

I'm curious what people's opinions are about Okuma's spinning reels generally. I've been looking at lightweight spinning reels for a finesse setup, and naturally I gravitated toward the Stradic ci4+. I know and trust Shimano, but I try to stretch my budget as much as possible and $230 is a tough pill to swallow right now. Then I saw the $130 Okuma Helios SX which uses their c40x material, and one of the few reviews I've seen compared it's smoothness to that of Shimano. Then I see they have another model, the Inspira ISX, which seems feature-wise like the same reel but with a graphite rotor instead of carbon. That MSRP is $80 but is on Amazon right now for $45!? Too good to be true? I have to imagine if these deliver what they claim to, there would be more reviews out there.
Thanks.

Dug
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Okuma spinning reels?

Postby Dug » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:35 pm

I haven't heard a lot about the Inspira models, but I have heard a lot of good feedback on their Ceymar model, which comes in several sizes. For years before I moved up to my shimano Stradic, I had an Okuma A30 that held up well and performed great for the price. So yeah, I would gamble on an Okuma spinning reel in a hot minute.

Dug

johnD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby johnD » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:53 pm

If you look at last months bassmaster magazine towards the back . there is a photo of Jacob Wheeler , who is sponsored by Okuma...He has a deck full of Stradic Ci4's on the boat , if that tells you anything. I'm not saying they won't work ,I'm just thinking that if you're fishing for money , you might want to reconsider.

duke608
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Postby duke608 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:30 pm

I'd be curious to see that. I could also see how the red Inspira could look like the Stradic ci4 from a distance. Not saying you're wrong, I just haven't seen the picture.

johnD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby johnD » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:23 am

duke608 wrote:I'd be curious to see that. I could also see how the red Inspira could look like the Stradic ci4 from a distance. Not saying you're wrong, I just haven't seen the picture.

Find the April issue of bassmaster "parting shot" section...plain as day , no mistaken it.

It's not the first time , I've seen pros use gear other than what they promote.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Fishinfanatic115 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:21 am

I have the last gen Okuma Helios spinning reel (The green one). It's honestly not a bad reel, especially considering the price, but it's nowhere near refined as a competing Shimano. It gets the job done, and it's very light, but it's got a sort of geary feeling. I've had mine for about 3 years now with zero issues, so its longevity is decent. I've handled the new Helios SX and it seems decent, but again not super refined.

Return to “Reels”