TD-X 103HiL

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
poisonokie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

TD-X 103HiL

Postby poisonokie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:50 pm

I won one of these on eBay (I was the sole bidder) for $30. I got it just to put on the shelf alongside my other unique and vintage reels. I didn't really expect much from this kind of beat up 20 yr old reel that definitely isn't round, but not exactly low profile, with the handle aft of the spool, the odd see-saw levelwind covered by a sort of mustang mach 1 fastback palming plate, but I couldn't believe how well it's held up! Granted, I don't know what kind of life it's had for the last 2 decades in Japan, but the gearing is still smooth and connected, the bearings are smooth, and the spool has great hangtime. The drag is terrible, but adequate. Nothing a new stack couldn't remedy. It pitches and casts just fine. The line stacks a little on both sides of the spool because it doesn't wind all the way to the edge, but it's workable. Also, people complain about ACS reel seats, but they feel tailor made for reels that dont have a gearbox hanging off the side like this TD-X and T3's, but i digress.

Anyone else have love for these unique pieces of Daiwa history? What about a picture of the box/paperwork?
Daiwa.Owner.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: TD-X 103HiL

Postby Randingo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:05 am

I still own half a dozen or more well-functioning TD-X baitcasters (plus a couple TD-S). They were the first reel available domestically with a truly super free spool, and cast so differently as a result that it was really difficult to switch between an X and anything Shimano, particularly if you were roll casting or pitching. The left hand retrieve reels were meant to hold in the palming position at all times, and they even made left hand retrieve specific reel seats to maximize the ergonomics. I owned a left hand TD-X briefly, but I never really felt the need or desire to reel left handed and so sold it to a friend who liked them. But the TD-X was an absolute game changer of a reel due to its free floating spool design.

poisonokie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby poisonokie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:30 am

I believe it. Everything I had back then came from Wal-Mart and said Zebco or Shakespeare on it.

It does free spool really well. I didn't plan on it before I had it in hand, but i can't wait to hook into something with this thing. I've got it rigged up on a Lexa 711MHXB with some 16# supernatural and a 1/2 oz jig ready to go! Then it'll be back on the shelf. Need to find a td-z in decent shape now to go next to it.
Daiwa.Owner.

toddmc
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby toddmc » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:32 am

I had a fleet of the TD-X 103HSDF reels when they were still being made. I sold all but two. They have quite a bit of boat rash, but they still work great. I use them occasionally for inshore saltwater. I also let my friends use them when they are in my boat. They have carbontex drags, upgraded spool bearings, and the swept handles and stars from a few of my OG Zillion reels. There are a lot of anglers still fishing these reels. The spools are a little on the wild side and they require a high magnet setting. Mine have caught a ton of fish with no issues. I would fish them more if they palmed like the TDZ/Fuego/Zillion platform.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Randingo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:21 am

By today's standards, they're a handful in the palm, but when they came out, they were so much more comfortable than the other reels made at the time.

DaisyZillion
Angler
Angler

Postby DaisyZillion » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:29 am

I serviced one of these (the hsd)for bloke and was that impressed with the reel I offered to buy it off of him, turned out it was his daughters and no way! Have since bought a couple (Hsdf) and drag them out for a fish when I'm feeling nostalgic, lovely old reels!

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Postby africanbass » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:27 am

Great solid reels.
As mentioned they sit a bit high up compared to modern offerings
Weight is also an issue http://japantackle.com/daiwa-tdx.html
The beginning of the tdz legacy
Happiness is a sore thumb

poisonokie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby poisonokie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:35 am

I noticed a few of the later models have a split foot to sit lower. I think they palm great with that acs seat. My finger wraps around the rod instead of the front of the reel. They're just really unique in their design. Proof Daiwa has never been afraid to innovate.
Daiwa.Owner.

Return to “Reels”