Pixy Question: Airy Red for Ned?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Pixy Question: Airy Red for Ned?

Postby LowRange » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:54 pm

I just bought an Airy Red spool and a Silver Mica Pixy to pair to a Majorcraft Volkey 682L as a dedicated Ned rig reel. For those that have that spool, how does it perform at 3/16 oz total weight? The DIY spools, while great, are too shallow for 3/16 work with #20 braid. Can the Airy Red spool be tuned further?

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Pixy Question: Airy Red for Ned?

Postby adam lancia » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:50 pm

I have 2 Airy's and one of them is loaded with 20# braid. I use it for shakeyheads down to 1/8 with a trick worm and the reel handled that weight just fine. I could have used a lighter rod but I wasn't casting for distance so it wasn't crucial. I would assume you could have the spool tips polished and maybe have a stiffer (or softer) spring installed to change the braking profile too.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby bronzefly » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:08 pm

Congratulations on the Airy Red spool acquisition, I think you'll find it to be very impressive. I have one set up with Hedgehog Studio AIR BFS Spool Bearings which help out a lot casting 1/4 oz and under in my experience. The inductor is similar to those found on the legendary Type R+ reels, so aside from spool bearings, there isn't much more you could do, unless you did a full "original KTF Airy Red" mod and removed some material. That spool is extremely rare, but also extremely awesome :lol: I toss a light ned rig on a Megabass F2-63X7 Super Criffhanger and the combo handles them very nicely.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby adam lancia » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:36 pm

bronzefly wrote:unless you did a full "original KTF Airy Red" mod and removed some material.

I'm afraid to ask, mostly because Ian is just down the road and can probably do the work... :laugh1: \:D/

LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LowRange » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:56 am

I bought a 103 TDZ spool that has been heavily ported by some guy with access to a mill and some spare time. Don't if he does requests but if I like ported spool I may consider having some work done to the Airy Red spool.
Attachments
$_1.jpg
$_1.jpg (11.2 KiB) Viewed 164 times

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby bronzefly » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:12 am

Nice looking work on that TD-Z spool. The material removed from the original KTF Airy Red spool is internal, not external, though a "honeycomb" job on it would lighten it up even more I'm sure.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby adam lancia » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:33 pm

LowRange wrote:I bought a 103 TDZ spool that has been heavily ported by some guy with access to a mill and some spare time. Don't if he does requests but if I like ported spool I may consider having some work done to the Airy Red spool.

I had that in my watch list but I didn't get it because it was too difficult to see what the machine work looked like up close. I'm glad to hear that it looks good to you, let us know how it performs, I'm pretty curious about that.

Gary, thanks for the clarification. It sounds like they ported the bridge between the spool hub (around the spool shaft) and the underside of the spool floor, is that right?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby bronzefly » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:59 am

adam lancia wrote:Gary, thanks for the clarification. It sounds like they ported the bridge between the spool hub (around the spool shaft) and the underside of the spool floor, is that right?

Here's a quick photo...

www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LowRange » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:31 am

adam lancia wrote:
LowRange wrote:I bought a 103 TDZ spool that has been heavily ported by some guy with access to a mill and some spare time. Don't if he does requests but if I like ported spool I may consider having some work done to the Airy Red spool.

I had that in my watch list but I didn't get it because it was too difficult to see what the machine work looked like up close. I'm glad to hear that it looks good to you, let us know how it performs, I'm pretty curious about that.

Gary, thanks for the clarification. It sounds like they ported the bridge between the spool hub (around the spool shaft) and the underside of the spool floor, is that right?

After a 2nd look and discovering a few more pics... its a mess of off center holes. Definitely not milled. More like a eukranian with a drill. I bought it to test the proof of concept and not for asethetics and a $40 it is worth a shot.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby BigG » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:38 am

Just picked up a Presso I hope to BFS with. I added a Airy Red spool to my PX Type R this winter and put in on my Super Eiger, but not planning on going any lighter than 1/4 oz with it.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby adam lancia » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:19 pm

bronzefly wrote:
adam lancia wrote:Gary, thanks for the clarification. It sounds like they ported the bridge between the spool hub (around the spool shaft) and the underside of the spool floor, is that right?

Here's a quick photo...

Apologies to the OP, I don't mean to derail the thread but...

All of my Airy spools look like that Gary, the 4 cutouts in the inductor. Does your inductor have a groove in it like the red R+ inductors?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby bronzefly » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:59 am

adam lancia wrote:Apologies to the OP, I don't mean to derail the thread but...

All of my Airy spools look like that Gary, the 4 cutouts in the inductor. Does your inductor have a groove in it like the red R+ inductors?

PM sent in interest of non-post derailment!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Return to “Reels”