Finger Saver knot tying tool

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!

Finger Saver knot tying tool

Postby Toadslayer72 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:51 pm

I'm just wondering what the verdict is on this little thing. It looks like a good idea and I could use it if it's legit. So to all you owners of one, what's the deal? Thanks.
Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Finger Saver knot tying tool

Postby fishsmart » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:12 am

The finger saver removes the potential for getting line cuts from the braid while allowing the knots to be pulled tight.

If you need small diameter Albright knots for micro guides consider using one.

Charles
fishsmart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Toadslayer72 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:39 am

fishsmart wrote:The finger saver removes the potential for getting line cuts from the braid while allowing the knots to be pulled tight.

If you need small diameter Albright knots for micro guides consider using one.

Charles

I understand what it's supposed to do. What I'm asking is does it work consistently as advertised with varied lines of varied diameters. Sorry, I should have been more specific in the OP.
Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby fishsmart » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:11 am

It is basically a grooved ring. The groove contains material, when wrapped circumferentially 3-4 times with braid, that will allow pulling slack out of the knots to make them tight and smaller.

Charles
fishsmart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Toadslayer72 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:24 am

fishsmart wrote:It is basically a grooved ring. The groove contains material, when wrapped circumferentially 3-4 times with braid, that will allow pulling slack out of the knots to make them tight and smaller.

Charles

So you have it?
Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Steve Williams » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:41 pm

I think they are extremely useful tool and if you fish braid a lot and especially braid with a leader, they are indespensible. I have two. I keep one in hook box and wear one on my right ring finger to thumb while fishing. they make a big difference in knot tying to me.
Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Toadslayer72 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:40 pm

Steve Williams wrote:I think they are extremely useful tool and if you fish braid a lot and especially braid with a leader, they are indespensible. I have two. I keep one in hook box and wear one on my right ring finger to thumb while fishing. they make a big difference in knot tying to me.

Thank you, opinion from an actual owner. I'm gonna order a couple from Hi's soon. Thank you.
Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby fishsmart » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:01 am

I have 4 of the rings left to use after giving some away.

Charles
fishsmart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby froteur » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:55 pm

i have a pair. one for each hand. it's a "handy" item.
froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Toadslayer72 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:28 pm

froteur wrote:i have a pair. one for each hand. it's a "handy" item.

Yeah I ended up ordering two and the thought had crossed my mind to use two at the same time but it seems like the braid side is what really needs to be drawn down the most.
Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby froteur » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:31 pm

Toadslayer72 wrote:
froteur wrote:i have a pair. one for each hand. it's a "handy" item.

Yeah I ended up ordering two and the thought had crossed my mind to use two at the same time but it seems like the braid side is what really needs to be drawn down the most.

use both. mono or fluoro can cut too. (i speak from experience --- ouch) :big grin:
froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby OkobojiEagle » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:32 am

I have no doubt the finger savers perform as advertised but a little ingenuity can provide tools you already own that will perform the same function. I use a shaped length of coat hanger to hold loops of some knots and provide a surface to wrap tag ends around. Cost of my tool... free and easily replaceable if lost.
oe
OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby legendaryyaj » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:01 pm

I have a set and I don't know if there is a size selection for them but mine are to big and I find it a pain to wrap the line on one then on the next evenly without the other coming loose. I think its faster if wrap it on something else that can handle braid. It's just more convenient to carry around.
legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Toadslayer72 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:36 am

Got mine yesterday. I can see how it might take a little knack to use two at once but I only plan on using one on the braid side of an Alberto. I definitely like them though and they do indeed work.

*****EDIT****
After playing around some more with the finger savers, I've decided that two at once is better for making a more compact knot, I'm able to draw down just a little more doing it this way. My only concern is that wrapping leader material in small loop and applying pressure may cause it to weaken. Not a concern with the braid though and this is why I initially thought it be best to only wrap the braid. Anyone care to give their opinion on this?
Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby GARRIGA » Mon May 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Toadslayer72 wrote:My only concern is that wrapping leader material in small loop and applying pressure may cause it to weaken.

Wouldn't the spool be considered a small loop? I doubt it would cause issues. I've done similar small loops to break off heavy line when bottom fishing without any discernible problems.
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Next

Return to Fishing Line