St.Croix Avid vs. Shimano Compre

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".

St.Croix Avid vs. Shimano Compre

Postby HeavyMetalBassinKing » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:00 pm

As far as weight and sensitivity go, how do these two rods compare?

I was told the Avid with fluorocarbon line would be plenty sensitive for texas rigs, jigs, and other crawling baits....but how about the Compre?
HeavyMetalBassinKing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: St.Croix Avid vs. Shimano Compre

Postby daleo » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:20 pm

A better comparison would be The St. Croix Premiere vs the Compre, and maybe the Avid vs the Crucial. I have a premiere & a compre, tough one, their both MH but the premiere is 3/8 to 3/4 and the compre 3/8 to 1 1/4. I like them both, I don't like the reel seat for the premiere spin rod tho, cheap, keeps coming loose, although its 3 yrs old and may have been upgraded in the last 2 yrs. Don't own an Avid, but I sure liked what I saw at BPS when I looked at them. I do have a Crucial Drop shot spin rod and I really like it, and plan to buy at least 1 more Crucial trigger rod this year. Back to the question, if I had the choice, I would take the Avid.
daleo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby FisherKing » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:46 pm

HeavyMetalBassinKing wrote:As far as weight and sensitivity go, how do these two rods compare?

The Avid should feel lighter and more sensitive. Also, between the two, the Avid should make your wallet feel lighter as well. :D
FisherKing
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby tonym » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:04 pm

I can tell you from experience(I own both) that the Avid is a better rod. As stated above, a better comparison to the Avid would be the Crucial and Premier to the Compre.
I broke my Avid last summer and replaced it with a Fenwick HMG. Don't get me wrong. The HMG is a nice rod, but not even in the same class as the Avid.
I've never had a lighter, more sensitive spin rod than the Avid.
tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Return to Tackle