Ultralight Soft Baits

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight fishing success here!

Re: Ultralight Soft Baits

Postby Smead » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:23 pm

Garfisher wrote:Made a walk over to the store, unfortunately they're moving everything around right now since they had a lot of the panfish stuff in tbe ice fishing aisle. They have the Vibratubes, Wooly Curltails or whatever they're called, and of course the Wooly Beavertails. They had all the holders in a shopping cart so I couldn't make a decent search, the only colour I seen was the black/blue, however they have more colours. I'll make another run over sometime this week, they should be done most of the reorganizing within the next couple days for the panfish baits I would think

Thank you for making the effort!!
Smead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Juxtapoisson » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:55 am

My problem with the gulps is that I have had leaks on about any jar left on it's side. Small or large jars (the large jars are not inclined to be on their side, but it happens easily in a backpack). This is no small problem, and those other containers for sealing them seem to miss the point to me.
Juxtapoisson
Angler
Angler

Postby DReihl9896 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:38 pm

Juxtapoisson wrote:My problem with the gulps is that I have had leaks on about any jar left on it's side. Small or large jars (the large jars are not inclined to be on their side, but it happens easily in a backpack). This is no small problem, and those other containers for sealing them seem to miss the point to me.

I agree that it'd be nice if the containers they came in sealed better. I've had them leak in my tackle bag as well. Buying a container that works though is a cheap fix though for baits that work. Berkley makes some Tupperware like containers for them, but I don't trust them as well as the Plano ones. I think they'd seal fine, but I'd still worry about the lid getting pealed off in my pack during some of the bushwhacking that is required to get to some of my spots. The plus side to those is that they come in different sizes. The Plano container is basically the size of the large Gulp Alive containers. I probably put 5 or 6 of the smaller jars in to keep an assortment of different colors and different baits. I'm happy with it. Most days, spinners are the ticket for me, but when they aren't producing like I'd like, I always have that jar in my pack ready to go.
DReihl9896
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Smead » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:18 pm

Just use wide rubber bands to keep tops from popping open/off.
Smead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Juxtapoisson » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:58 am

I have a hard time considering giving money to Berkely to replace berkley's leaking jars. I will look into the Plano ones, I do like the baits a lot (when needed or lazy).

I have been trying to decide whether the fish see the 1" minnow as a fish fry, or as a nymph (dragon fly for example), or, if they in fact even care.

Do you have any trouble mixing the baits? I had somehow assumed the different types had different flavors?
Juxtapoisson
Angler
Angler

Postby cst » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:03 am

Juxtapoisson wrote:I have a hard time considering giving money to Berkely to replace berkley's leaking jars. I will look into the Plano ones, I do like the baits a lot (when needed or lazy).

I have been trying to decide whether the fish see the 1" minnow as a fish fry, or as a nymph (dragon fly for example), or, if they in fact even care.

Do you have any trouble mixing the baits? I had somehow assumed the different types had different flavors?

I played around with the gulps when they first came out. I don't remember having trouble mixing baits and colors as long as they were bathing in the juice. That was a long time ago though and my memory is a bit hazy.
cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby eatmeplz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:36 am

Juxtapoisson wrote:I have a hard time considering giving money to Berkely to replace berkley's leaking jars. I will look into the Plano ones, I do like the baits a lot (when needed or lazy).

This may be of help. I know it's waterproof, but it should keep liquids in as well. This is a great price if you have a homedepot nearby.

Plano Stow Away 3 Pack
eatmeplz
Angler
Angler

Postby DReihl9896 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:42 am

Juxtapoisson wrote:Do you have any trouble mixing the baits? I had somehow assumed the different types had different flavors?

I haven't, but I should add though that my selection is mainly the pinched crawlers and the floating trout worms in an assortment of colors. If I look closely on some of the brighter colored baits like the chartreuse pinched crawlers, I can see small flakes of darker colors on them from the natural colored worms. This mind you is after being swished around in the same container for almost a year and as I said, I have to inspect them pretty closely to see this, so I don't think it will affect the baits at all.

I believe that the juice from the different baits is all pretty much the same, but am not positive on this (If somebody knows otherwise, please correct me on this). The recharge juice that they sell to add to the containers when the original gets low, only comes in one variety, so that is what leads me to believe that the same juice is used universally (I do know that some of the trout baits say they are enhanced with garlic scent, so I'd think this would get diluted over time if mixed with the refill or other baits). I emailed Berkley customer support about this, but didn't not get a reply. I went ahead and purchased a refill of the recharge juice and added it to my container anyway because it was a little low and I didn't want my baits to dry up (which Gulp will do if left out of the solution). If the browns, brookies and rainbows tell me they don't like what I am offering this year as much as the previous year, I will probably begin to suspect that my assumption that all the juice is the same may not be accurate.

Smead wrote:Just use wide rubber bands to keep tops from popping open/off.

Smead, that is probably a good suggestion for the Tupperware containers that Berkley sells (or probably any Tupperware you want to store liquid baits in) if one wants different sizes than the Plano liqua bait container. I guess I still feel a little more comfortable with the screw on cap that comes with the Plano option. Again, I didn't mind combining different baits into an assortment, so it makes sense to just keep one of the larger containers on hand. The original containers that Gulp Alive is sold in leak no matter how tight the cap is on though, so a transfer to some other container is necessary no matter what unless one is sure that the baits will be kept upright and not be jostled around too much.
DReihl9896
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Garfisher » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:35 pm

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/ ... m%20Stuff/
This is what the store has for the grubs, tubes, and beavertails. There were 4 black/blue left, the rest of the beavertails seemed to be in decent number.
Garfisher
Angler
Angler

Postby uljersey » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:21 pm

Garfisher wrote:http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/panfisherteen/Yum%20Stuff/
This is what the store has for the grubs, tubes, and beavertails. There were 4 black/blue left, the rest of the beavertails seemed to be in decent number.

Buy 'em up ! Once they're gone, that's it. Awesome baits on a 1/16 jighead.
uljersey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby eatmeplz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:50 pm

Garfisher wrote:http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/panfisherteen/Yum%20Stuff/

That's awesome Gar! Wish they'd have some at a store close to me. Anyone know a way to keep these plastics for as long as possible?
eatmeplz
Angler
Angler

Postby Winstondry » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:09 am

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in for what I use for my 'go to' UL baits. When the bite gets tough, which is quite often here in SoCal, I regularly go to a Fluttercraft worm in Cinnamon or Chocolate Brownie to round out a limit. I also have thrown the Fluttercraft Screamers with somewhat of a success but the action of the tail in the longer worm drives 'em crazy. Lately I've been using them on the dropshot but I also love to throw them splitshotted. If you're not familiar with Fluttercrafts, they're really super thin worms, they're not 2" long but weigh almost nothing, hence me calling them UL baits.
Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby uljersey » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:55 pm

eatmeplz wrote:

That's awesome Gar! Wish they'd have some at a store close to me. Anyone know a way to keep these plastics for as long as possible?

I have plastics from the late 80's - early 90's that are like new. Keep them in their original containers in a dry environment and they will be fine for a long time. I keep the individual packs segregated by type (tubes, grubs, UL, etc.) in large ziplock bags. That's it, no need to invest in any special containers or anything like that. Moisture is your worst enemy.
uljersey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Previous

Return to Ultralight Fishing