Scorpion DC7 vs Metanium DC7 HEAD TO HEAD!

T3 member reviews - This forum is for Team TackleTour (T3) member

Scorpion DC7 vs Metanium DC7 HEAD TO HEAD!

Postby l2yan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:30 am

I've been a mag brake person for quite some time now. I've had lots of very fine reels that featured centrifugal braking, and I always seem to get rid of them after a short time of fishing. It's not really the external adjustments that I prefer, just the properties of how magnets affect the spool's rotation. I find that mag brakes excel at long distance casting and skipping, and the centrifugal brakes are better at pitching. I usually skip instead of pitch, so I literally don't have a desire for centri brakes.

That said, I've been wanting to give the Shimano DC system a try for a LONG time... and I finally obtained one... and then another :big grin: I have a brand new Scorpion DC, then just a couple days later found a killer deal on an older Metanium DC.

First thing first, I spooled up with 8# Izorline XXX as a control to test the stock Scorp in the back yard. Also used a control rod and 1/4 oz dummy weight. No measurements in feet, but I marked exactly how far I could cast the dummy. Nothing seemed very impressive, but I've never done this before with ANY of my reels. The Fluoro setting basically sucked at normal casting. The Mono setting was better, but still noticeable short casting. The PE setting felt like a nice smooth cast, but I was unsure of the distance compared to any other reel.

Next, to quench my curiosity, I spooled up a Revo Premier, which has been one of the longest casting reels for 1/4 oz and above that I've used, with my control line. Happy to say, I could cast nearly IDENTICALLY to the Scorp as far as distance is concerned, but I had to fine tune the mag dial as well as use my thumb diligently. The Scorp made the exact same cast with the dial on PE and needed absolutely NO THUMBING save when it hit the ground! I was then very satisfied with my purchase \:D/

The next day, I upgraded the bearings and tuned/polished up the Scorp's internals. Sadly enough, in the exact same casting tests, the Scorp showed NO casting performance gain at all! :shock: I was very disappointed!

A few days later, I received the Metanium DC. It was very rough on the retrieve, so I broke her down, upgraded her bearings and polished her up :big grin: SWEET reel!

After cleaning, the Met is much smoother than the Scorp when cranking with no resistance. I can feel the tighter tolerances and better design all the way around compared to the Scorp. That said, once you add some resistance, the Scorp actually feels smoother :shock: It is what it is..

So with my freshly spooled Met, I head out for testing. The first thing I notice is the legendary DC whine to my virgin ears. Pretty neat. Long story short, the first 3 setting of the Met (W, A, M) are nearly IDENTICAL to the Scorp 3 settings (F, M, P) respectively. The Met's 4th setting, L, for long distance needed some edjamekated thumbing for distance, but the distance is definitely there if you really need it. Makes me wish the Scorp had that one final setting just for kicks and giggles, and especially for pitching.

All in all, the DC systems/setting in both reels are nearly identical, save the Met's L mode, and I'm very happy with them both. They both cast identically distance-wise compared to the Revo Premier, which is an exceptionally long casting reel. With the newly affordable DC system introduced this year, I highly recommend trying a Scorpion DC. It's been a long time, and it feels nice to have a couple Shimano's back in my arsenal :big grin:

Side note, the Scorp's spool weighed in at just over 17 grams and Met's spool at just a hair under 17 grams. The Scorpion as a whole weighs in at .4 oz heavier than the Metanium according to japantackle (I didn't actually measure their total weights), but in the hand, they feel exactly the same. The Scorpion DC is a HUGE value compared to the Metanium DC for nearly twice the retail!

These are just my "controlled" experiences along with my personal opinions. YMMV. Thanks for reading!

Ryan
l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Scorpion DC7 vs Metanium DC7 HEAD TO HEAD!

Postby bigreddog » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:20 am

Interesting comparison. I was wondering how the "different" DC systems would stack up.

l2yan wrote:The next day, I upgraded the bearings and tuned/polished up the Scorp's internals. Sadly enough, in the exact same casting tests, the Scorp showed NO casting performance gain at all! :shock: I was very disappointed!

Actually, this doesn't surprise me. My hypothesis is that the DC system relies on an optical system to control rotation speed -- so while the bearings have the capacity to spin faster, DC actually limits and keeps it in check with braking.

l2yan wrote:Long story short, the first 3 setting of the Met (W, A, M) are nearly IDENTICAL to the Scorp 3 settings (F, M, P) respectively.

This is surprising, and if so, it's bad news for Fluoro lines. In my experience, the W mode noticeably kills the distance on a DC reel. I don't like the idea that the "F" mode is just an over-aggressive braking mode. Hope you're wrong about this...

I'm guessing that the Scorpion DC may be the next DC reel bound for the US. Its relatively aggressive price point will help put DC technology in the hands of many more anglers. That said, I still love my Metanium DC, my Conquest 101DC, both of my Conquest 51DCs, my Cardiff 51S-DC and... \:D/
bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby steve1206 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:11 pm

Hate to say it, but he is absolutely correct on the F-mode on the scorpion DC. It is the shortest casting mode by far is pretty much worthless.
steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby bronzefly » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:57 pm

You guys need to try doing some skipping with the F mode... absolutely incredible 8-)

I really like my Scorpion DC7 =D>
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby phatbass » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:54 pm

if you really want to see what a dc will do you need to get a calais dc better system by far,then the i dc system found in the jdm models.
phatbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby l2yan » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:47 pm

phatbass wrote:if you really want to see what a dc will do you need to get a calais dc better system by far,then the i dc system found in the jdm models.

I'm sure it's nice. Maybe one day.
l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby bronzefly » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:17 am

phatbass wrote:if you really want to see what a dc will do you need to get a calais dc better system by far,then the i dc system found in the jdm models.

I agree. The Calais DC7 is far superior in terms of performance, but it's also double the price, so I don't think anyone should expect the Scorpion DC7 to be as good. That said, I really enjoy both reels and think the Scorp DC7 is a great reel for the money and can do a lot of things very well...
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Return to User Reviews