Do you enjoy our themed years and what's been your favorite?

What has been your favorite TackleTour Theme?

2011 - What the Finesse?
33%
2010 - The Search For One
26%
2009 - Year of the Crank
21%
2008 - Swimbait Rod Wars
19%

Total votes: 42

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you enjoy our themed years and what's been your favorite?

Postby Cal » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:23 am

It's getting close to that time again... to announce our next year's theme.

We continue to cover all aspects regardless, but our recent focus on themes helps to set up the perspective for the year and gives us an area to focus on when talking to manufacturers about their product. But that got us thinking, how are you enjoying our themed years and do you have a favorite?
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Do you enjoy our themed years and what's been your favor

Postby Cal » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:37 am

here are some reminders (click on the photos to be taken to each article)...

Year of the Crank announcement:

The Search for One... announcement:

What the Finesse?!? anouncement:
Cal, Managing Editor

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby vArm » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:05 am

I loved all your theme's, sans the "Swimbait Rod Wars" because I personally haven't found much use for swimbaits on my local lakes.
"Search for the ONE" was by far my favorite because it touched on the overriding theme of most authors Topics in these message boards.
Whether its the "Search for the ONE": All around, Cranking, Finesse, Jig, Swimbait, Jerkbait/Topwater.....Rod/Reel/Line/Tackle....

Keep up the KILLER work TT!
MegabassUSA.com

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby brokeneye » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:35 am

don't think anything personifies tt better than the "search for one".

except, perhaps, the "search for one more"... :big grin:
don't cry because it's over...smile because it happened.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Postby Tokugawa » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:13 pm

I liked the year of the crank. I will admit that the swimbait wars has been more useful to me lately after acquiring the WP/Z2020 combo.

arbogastjunkie
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby arbogastjunkie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:40 am

I definitely enjoy the themed years. While they have all ben helpful to me in one aspect or another, I would have to say that I enjoy the SB rod wars the most so far. Looking forward to see the theme for 2012.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby spookybaits » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:31 pm

Year of the crank was my favorite. Search for the one...maybe I missed it but what was 'the one'? Never saw any announcement, infact, I thought it was abandoned. What the finesse, for me, I don't really have any interest as finesse fishing is about as fun as watching paint dry. I really like the head-to-head features the best. Ive probably looked at the high speed/low speed shootouts 20 times and it's been a major help in my decisions of buying all new reels this year(although I still think the chronarch D should've won :D).
I guess my final answer is- while I like the themes I'd rather have an open house of reviews, varying from review to review.
:idea: Also, might not be the proper thread for suggestions but I have what I think is a good idea for additional gear testing. Along with the TT reviews, I think it would be cool to give rods, reels, line & lures to guides in hardcore locations like the amazon & Mexico and get their feedback on what they found to be the best, most durable, dependable, etc products. Have them as your international TT field testers in a way. Just a thought.
Reguardless, can't wait to see whats in store for next year!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cal » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:51 pm

spookybaits wrote:...Search for the one...maybe I missed it but what was 'the one'? Never saw any announcement, infact, I thought it was abandoned. ...

It was announced, in the article that introduced "What the Finesse", that the search continues...
Cal, Managing Editor

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Postby Teal101 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Year of the crank, mainly because crank baits are my favorite bait to fish. Regardless, JDM, US, CDM, Finesse, Reaction, Punching, Topwater, it doesnt matter, we'll always get a good unbiased in depth review to help us spend money on one more fishing item :mrgreen:
I like TD-Z's

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby Gblaze » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:59 pm

Honestly, really love them all 8-)
- they are well thought out with descriptive highlights, numeric ratings, objective data, and a flair for the aesthetic and humorous all wrapped into readily retrievable thematic reviews??? Ive been hooked since day #1. I wasnt here when you rolled them out, but going back now I find them incredibly well- put together, and they have provided an indispensable reference for me to upgrade my tackle after such a long time away.

So far, I have liked the search for the one the most- because I personally prize some versatility in equipment - but its a tight call :big grin:

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby facelessnewsouth » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:55 am

The search for one...even though you will never be happy with just one, Cal, finding what could be the one is what it's all about!

I agree with alot of what others said, the shootouts are great, and it would be interesting to have a hardcore gear shootout where you give different guides some gear to put through the paces for 6 mo. or so, gather the feed back and put together a comprehensive review of how each rod, reel, etc. worked out for each guide or location. Just a thought, not trying to tell you how to do your job...I think everyone is quite happy with how you're running the show!

Hopefully, 2012 will hold some great reviews, and a couple raises for me so I can get some more of the gear you review!

Derek777
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Derek777 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:35 am

all the themes were great as i think each review gave further definition to what is really required for each theme/technique, which is invaluable imho. i understand its subjective, however theres so much great technical info in all of those reviews that taking them as a whole, i think people can apply them to their own situations and styles and find out what aspects and attributes would work best for them. i also think whats great is that tt never pulls a roland martin, but gives a great explanation of each piece of equipment, and allows/permits the reader to make their own independent judgement, regardless of the editor's preferences.

if there were to be a new theme for the upcoming year, id love to see a 'jig' theme. there so many approaches for flipping/pitching/punching/swimming/stroking etc that i think the editors could continue to express and develop their fishing styles as they desire and not get bored by being 'stuck' in one technique.

chasiubao73
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby chasiubao73 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:03 pm

Personally, I enjoyed the year of the crank because it proved invaluable to me when researching crank bait rods. All of the themed years have been great even if the technique itself is not one that I personally use on a regular basis - if anything it proved to be a great read and compendium of information.

I hope that it continues for the upcoming years. In terms of what I personally would like to see as a them, it would probably be a soft plastic and jig rod theme.

Fastfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Fastfish » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:48 am

Yes I very much enjoyed all of them so far but enjoyed this year the most as this is really about how I fish, I do not own a rod heavier than a med-lite action so the finesse theme has been very much enjoyed.

The search for the 1 was great and really did showcase some of the best rods ever, I think this theme was kinda what Entusiatst Tackle is all about and Tackle Tour did a great job of showing this.

QuitLookinAtMyItos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby QuitLookinAtMyItos » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:09 pm

Personally, I have enjoyed the WTF??? theme the most. This site, as well as reviews and countless articles, has opened the doors for extreme finesse fishing applications, techniques, and equipment and made me personally a more well-rounded angler. Taught to fish as a child and tournament fishing since the age of 12, I was a die hard cranking and jig fisherman and believed for several years that jig fishing is about as finesse as it gets. I would not throw anything except a jig or a crank as a younger fellow. If they weren't biting the jig, they would bite the crankbait. Okay, let's try a spinnerbait. Spinning combo? Aren't those for live bait, grubs, and for folks who aren't distinguished with a baitcaster? Boy, was I wrong. :shock: Joining this site a few years back was the greatest thing I have done for my fishing prowess. I was honestly crushed when the site crashed -- it was like someone close to me had passed away :crying: ...... Needless to say, I was overjoyed when I was able to register once again! :big grin:

Drum roll please ....... I now own several finesse spinning and finesse baitcasting setups -- all of which have helped me improve my skills on the water and even finish out a limit in tournaments when conditions were tough and bites were extremely tough to come by.

This is, by far, the most informative fishing website and forum on the Web. However, TT has put a serious dent in my bank account. Oh well....you can't take it with you when you go! Keep up the great work TT! I look forward to every review you guys have post (I think I may have read or browsed just about every archived article in down time), regardless of whether it will be added to my arsenal or not. It's the information and product knowledge that counts. Thank you very much! =D>
JDM quality is unsurpassed. Period.

Return to “TT Announcements”