megabass x7 cyclone advantage

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
lund40
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:08 pm

megabass x7 cyclone advantage

Post by lund40 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:27 pm

i cant seem to stop buying this model. i have 5 cyclones now the last one i got in was in almost new condition

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:51 pm

Re: megabass x7 cyclone advantage

Post by jejenkyns » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:40 pm

tell us why!!!

User avatar
jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 680
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Re: megabass x7 cyclone advantage

Post by jmb27 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:43 am

jejenkyns wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:40 pm
tell us why!!!
Cause it's a great treble hook/spinner bait rod. The X7 range remains MB's best, imo (taking into account all of the models).

Wish that they would do an X7 squared line up!

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4777
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: megabass x7 cyclone advantage

Post by LowRange » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:08 pm

How much would I have to pay to acquire such a stick? I have an Alphas SV with a Zonda spool I HLC spring swapped that I am keeping on the back burner for a trebble hook rod. Something that can handle 30# braid and bomb casts with a 1/2 traps over grass or 3/8 oz poppers. I had it on an xxx BE2 but it was a pretty wimpy M that was more of a ML. Its was not a 1/2 trap stick.
Image

User avatar
jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 680
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Re: megabass x7 cyclone advantage

Post by jmb27 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:59 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:08 pm
How much would I have to pay to acquire such a stick? I have an Alphas SV with a Zonda spool I HLC spring swapped that I am keeping on the back burner for a trebble hook rod. Something that can handle 30# braid and bomb casts with a 1/2 traps over grass or 3/8 oz poppers. I had it on an xxx BE2 but it was a pretty wimpy M that was more of a ML. Its was not a 1/2 trap stick.
Image
I haven't used traps w/the Cyclone, but I would call it a true medium and not a wimpy one.

I got one in basically new condition last year for about $400.

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4777
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: megabass x7 cyclone advantage

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:30 am

jmb27 wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:59 am
LowRange wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:08 pm
How much would I have to pay to acquire such a stick? I have an Alphas SV with a Zonda spool I HLC spring swapped that I am keeping on the back burner for a trebble hook rod. Something that can handle 30# braid and bomb casts with a 1/2 traps over grass or 3/8 oz poppers. I had it on an xxx BE2 but it was a pretty wimpy M that was more of a ML. Its was not a 1/2 trap stick.
Image
I haven't used traps w/the Cyclone, but I would call it a true medium and not a wimpy one.

I got one in basically new condition last year for about $400.
What are your uses for the stick?

User avatar
jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 680
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Re: megabass x7 cyclone advantage

Post by jmb27 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:39 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:30 am

What are your uses for the stick?
I have not used it a ton as my fishing time has been a bit more limited than I would like over the last year. However, I really liked the rod for jerkbaits and crankbaits. The action was really good working a jerkbait and I felt like the bend had enough "give" and yet, the fish stayed buttoned up after strike. I like using a "regular" action rod for treble hooked baits (and other moving baits) as I feel that I get a better hookset.

Again, I am a bit biased as I think that the X7 series (the whole range) is the best that MB has ever done.

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4777
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: megabass x7 cyclone advantage

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:34 am

jmb27 wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:39 am
LowRange wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:30 am

What are your uses for the stick?
I have not used it a ton as my fishing time has been a bit more limited than I would like over the last year. However, I really liked the rod for jerkbaits and crankbaits. The action was really good working a jerkbait and I felt like the bend had enough "give" and yet, the fish stayed buttoned up after strike. I like using a "regular" action rod for treble hooked baits (and other moving baits) as I feel that I get a better hookset.

Again, I am a bit biased as I think that the X7 series (the whole range) is the best that MB has ever done.
I can get one to my door for $230 that is scored a "B" grade. I already have a dedicated jerkbait stick and another I use as squarebill rod. I'm looking for stick to use throwing lipless, topwaters and as a bonus unweighted flukes. The reel has a distance tuned deep spool for braid and treble hook baits and a distance tuned SV spool that has already demonstrated excellent casting with 10# flouro and a weightless fluke. It was on a Megabass M regular taper rod and did great but felt like anything over 3/8 oz total weight was way too much for the stick. At the same time I kind of want a glass stick for ripping traps our of grass with braid. I prefer braid and glass over graphite and flouro when snapping traps cleanly from coontaiI. I might have to stick to 3/8 oz traps and have a different stick for bigger baits. May have to task the MH Valkyrie with 1/2 to 5/8 oz trap use. Stock heavy brake spool on the LIN Black Jungle for spinner/chatter baits with flouro and the fast 1016 with braid for bombing lipless. :-k

Its between the used Megabass Destroyer x7 F4 68 Advantage and a new Evergreen Conbat Stick RCSS 71M. Sort of want what the xxx Black Elise 2 did but it would be nice to have a bit more power but not a requirement when I have a jerkbait special and two M+ and a glass/graphite composite MH to take up some of the slack of a softer 4 power regular MB stick. Might just pull the trigger on this one and add it to my growing old destroyer collection.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1919
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:13 am

Re: megabass x7 cyclone advantage

Post by Cristo » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:02 pm

Cyclone in any iteration is the "goods" very very versatile. Excellent for trebles for me it was 3/8oz-5/8oz range

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1919
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:13 am

Re: megabass x7 cyclone advantage

Post by Cristo » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:06 pm

Forgot to throw in 1/4oz-5/16oz jig and applicable plastic and weightless senko stick for me for non treble duty 8-)

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4777
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: megabass x7 cyclone advantage

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:20 pm

Got a B grade one on the way. It's a $155 stick that's $230 to my door. Such is the price to pay when shipping 1pc sticks. Going to make it some sort of braid trebble hook rod for 3/8 - 1/2 oz with the Zonda HLC spool and weightless flukes and the like at 3/8 oz weight with the rays swapped Alphas SV spool and 10# flouro. Will get some finesse skipping in too. That silver Alphas is going to look good on that stick too.
Attachments
megabass-destroyer-x7-f4-68x7-cyclone-advantage-bait-casting-rod-2439.jpg
megabass-destroyer-x7-f4-68x7-cyclone-advantage-bait-casting-rod-2439.jpg (47.65 KiB) Viewed 3045 times

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 905
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: megabass x7 cyclone advantage

Post by Bass1980 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:32 pm

About time we give this rod it's dues. One of my favorites of all time that I got a 2nd one. One is my 1/2 jerkbait rod. Sold two versions of Oneten rods because I like this X7CA more for that. I also use one to skip weightless senkos. Loads well and has enough backbone to pull them out. If MB made the X7CA 7'0-7'2 it would be a killer river rod, weightless senkos, and anything around 1/4 + plastic bottom contact rod.

I've had other variants, P3 and xdti evolution and they're both fun rods to use.

Image

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4777
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: megabass x7 cyclone advantage

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:42 pm

Bass1980 wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:32 pm
About time we give this rod it's dues. One of my favorites of all time that I got a 2nd one. One is my 1/2 jerkbait rod. Sold two versions of Oneten rods because I like this X7CA more for that. I also use one to skip weightless senkos. Loads well and has enough backbone to pull them out. If MB made the X7CA 7'0-7'2 it would be a killer river rod, weightless senkos, and anything around 1/4 + plastic bottom contact rod.

I've had other variants, P3 and xdti evolution and they're both fun rods to use.

Image
The one I got on the way is staring to peel on the hood like that. Might just encourage it and expose the aluminum beneath. It will be a nice "brushed aluminum" accent to the Alphas SV's satin silver frame. :lol:

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 905
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: megabass x7 cyclone advantage

Post by Bass1980 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:56 pm

Yeah all my X7s are like this. Just too lazy to take all the paint off. Will probably do that before spring hits.

lund40
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: megabass x7 cyclone advantage

Post by lund40 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:52 am

just ordered a shimano calcutta conquest 100 dc to go with my recent x7

Post Reply