Your opinion about the Z2020 in 2023.

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1361
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Your opinion about the Z2020 in 2023.

Post by SSS » Mon May 15, 2023 4:59 pm

How do you all feel about this reel in 2023? I saw some people on youtube moaning about the reel that its too heavy and bulky, and i am curious what y'all think, and if you're still using one, or is interested in buying one.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 6769
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Your opinion about the Z2020 in 2023.

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon May 15, 2023 5:13 pm

Great reel, built like a tank. Unfortunately, the weight is comparable to a tank, as well. I had one, but sold it due to a shoulder injury. All my reels are lightweight now, except for an 8.6 oz 1st-gen Revo S that I throw swimbaits with.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1361
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Your opinion about the Z2020 in 2023.

Post by SSS » Mon May 15, 2023 6:34 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 5:13 pm
Great reel, built like a tank. Unfortunately, the weight is comparable to a tank, as well. I had one, but sold it due to a shoulder injury. All my reels are lightweight now, except for an 8.6 oz 1st-gen Revo S that I throw swimbaits with.
Don't you want the weight to balance out a heavy rod?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 6769
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Your opinion about the Z2020 in 2023.

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon May 15, 2023 7:26 pm

SSS wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 6:34 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 5:13 pm
Great reel, built like a tank. Unfortunately, the weight is comparable to a tank, as well. I had one, but sold it due to a shoulder injury. All my reels are lightweight now, except for an 8.6 oz 1st-gen Revo S that I throw swimbaits with.
Don't you want the weight to balance out a heavy rod?
Can't use a heavy rod, either. Even my swimbait sticks are built already counterbalanced. Even though it's heavier weight overall, I can fish a lot longer with a balanced stick and a lighter reel. Theres less torque when I'm not fighting to keep the tip up.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 10505
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 am
Location: Murfreesboro TN

Re: Your opinion about the Z2020 in 2023.

Post by dragon1 » Mon May 15, 2023 9:04 pm

Still have two, both on longer rods and bigger baits...I was using one with 30lb SS8 II/17lb fluoro leader this late winter on an OG Megabass 7'11" Orochi Cyber Shootist cranking rod to toss 3/8 oz squarebills for pre-spawners and that combo was just great.

I still like the 7-8 oz reels for my power techs and to balance out heavy rods, I use the Z2020H less now because it just overpowers a lot of the river fish I chase and doesn't balance well with rods less than 7'4" or so, and on the river, I'm usually tossing a 6'9" to 7'0" rod.

If I'm bombing 3/4-1 oz + traps or big Whopper Ploppers or deep cranks, 1/2-1 oz chatters with big trailers, or 1.25 spinnerbaits all day, with a 7'6" or longer MH-H+ rod, I'm taking one of my Z2020s.

FWIW, it's not much heavier than my Calais 201A, but has a bit more line capacity, casts longer and can go lighter, and has much more cranking power and higher max drag.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 10505
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 am
Location: Murfreesboro TN

Re: Your opinion about the Z2020 in 2023.

Post by dragon1 » Mon May 15, 2023 9:16 pm

I can promise you the first time I get to go chase some of these Tennessee rivers stripers, two Z2020H reels and an OG Zillion are coming with me...the shortest rod will be a TKIC Super Stallion with a Zillion, and one Z2020H will be on a Phenix Ultra MBX Classic 707H and one on my custom USA Seeker CSW 808 7'8" swimbait rod.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1361
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Your opinion about the Z2020 in 2023.

Post by SSS » Mon May 15, 2023 9:53 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 9:16 pm
I can promise you the first time I get to go chase some of these Tennessee rivers stripers, two Z2020H reels and an OG Zillion are coming with me...the shortest rod will be a TKIC Super Stallion with a Zillion, and one Z2020H will be on a Phenix Ultra MBX Classic 707H and one on my custom USA Seeker CSW 808 7'8" swimbait rod.
Yea going for some stripers that get up to about 20lb where i am, which i can't wait to use the z2020 on. I use mine for musky and larger 1.5oz+ baits for bass, and its been pretty much perfect, but never tried it on stipers as of yet.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 6231
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Your opinion about the Z2020 in 2023.

Post by goldrod » Mon May 15, 2023 10:35 pm

I have a sneaky suspicion that this reel ( I have two of them but had three ) is by far not a BFS reel

Get one if you are interested in big baits. The rod is probably going to make you hate or date the reel. I have one on a custom rod and on on an edge rod ( the edge rod has a reel seat that just makes this reel shrink in hand imho)
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 10505
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 am
Location: Murfreesboro TN

Re: Your opinion about the Z2020 in 2023.

Post by dragon1 » Tue May 16, 2023 3:53 am

Like anything else, it's all relative to the user, whether to be for physical health reasons, preference, feel, etc.

This said, there are dudes that have gorilla mits and like larger, bigger, heavier tools to fit their hands, and those that don't mind the right tool for the job, and those that only want what is comfortable and "lighter" by today's standards for their fishing. C'est la vie, as those damn Frenchies would have us say...

And FWIW...most of YT shouldn't be taken as Gospel, 'fer feeshin' or otherwise.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

User avatar
rocketsurgeon
Angler
Angler
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:10 am
Location: Templeton, CA/Perdido Bay, FL

Re: Your opinion about the Z2020 in 2023.

Post by rocketsurgeon » Tue May 16, 2023 6:04 am

I have the Deps version on my Evergreen Throne, I consider it the Ferrari of my swimbait setups. And yes, I can palm a basketball :D

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 10505
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 am
Location: Murfreesboro TN

Re: Your opinion about the Z2020 in 2023.

Post by dragon1 » Tue May 16, 2023 6:26 am

rocketsurgeon wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 6:04 am
I have the Deps version on my Evergreen Throne, I consider it the Ferrari of my swimbait setups. And yes, I can palm a basketball :D
Haha...while not a necessary attribute to really enjoy and employ the strengths of the Z....it definitely is an advantage over having "Carni sized hands"....and sans the cabbage smell doesn't hurt either.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

User avatar
jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 944
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Your opinion about the Z2020 in 2023.

Post by jvelth74 » Tue May 16, 2023 8:41 am

Great reel. Casts far. Magforce 3D is still cool. Fast retrieve. Good cranking power. Great brake, with clicking drag. COLD reel in a cold weather. Some says that paint chips easily. Mine has not chipped.

User avatar
ninjaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 273
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:52 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Your opinion about the Z2020 in 2023.

Post by ninjaman » Tue May 16, 2023 11:58 am

It is a nice reel with impressive power in the retrieve, while still very smooth. I use mine for pike fishing with baits around 1-3oz. Casts good, but a little bit overpowered brake imho even on long cast mode with magforce 3D. To me it is a bit like the zillion-series. Great but without the magic. If it ever broke down I would not replace it with an identical reel. Something I would do with any of my beloved 100-sized round reels.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1361
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Your opinion about the Z2020 in 2023.

Post by SSS » Tue May 16, 2023 1:18 pm

ninjaman wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 11:58 am
It is a nice reel with impressive power in the retrieve, while still very smooth. I use mine for pike fishing with baits around 1-3oz. Casts good, but a little bit overpowered brake imho even on long cast mode with magforce 3D. To me it is a bit like the zillion-series. Great but without the magic. If it ever broke down I would not replace it with an identical reel. Something I would do with any of my beloved 100-sized round reels.
Overpowered brakes? You might have an issue with your reel if you feel that its overbraking. The spool inside these reels is very fast, and with the 3D braking its as fast as it gets.

Check your spool and side plate bearings. You might have grease or high viscocity oil slowing you down.

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4777
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Your opinion about the Z2020 in 2023.

Post by LowRange » Tue May 16, 2023 3:58 pm

Magforce 3D is awesome. The reel is a joy to use and seems very advanced even today. Remindes me of some weird prototype Shimano flagship reel than a Daiwa with the conical level wind and shape with hidden screws and a top cover. I just think they are neat.
Image

Post Reply