Okuma X-series

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1830
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Re: Okuma X-series

Post by Chode » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:01 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:54 pm
Agreed. It seems as though higher end Shimano rods tend to lean towards bottom contact single hook presentations, while Evergreen has mostly created rods with high versatility.

The mandrel, scrim, resin, taper, blank reinforcement weaves, etc., all contribute to this as does the type guides and placement.

I have a feeling though, that most of the current Okuma X series lean towards crisp/fast/sensitive techs, much akin to the application of the T1100G in the Luxxe Efreet series rods that I have owned and fished.
oh man you brought up the efreet. if the x-series is like the efreet then I think they've knocked it outta the park, especially at that price point. fingers crossed :lol:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 10505
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 am
Location: Murfreesboro TN

Re: Okuma X-series

Post by dragon1 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:15 pm

Chode wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:01 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:54 pm
Agreed. It seems as though higher end Shimano rods tend to lean towards bottom contact single hook presentations, while Evergreen has mostly created rods with high versatility.

The mandrel, scrim, resin, taper, blank reinforcement weaves, etc., all contribute to this as does the type guides and placement.

I have a feeling though, that most of the current Okuma X series lean towards crisp/fast/sensitive techs, much akin to the application of the T1100G in the Luxxe Efreet series rods that I have owned and fished.
oh man you brought up the efreet. if the x-series is like the efreet then I think they've knocked it outta the park, especially at that price point. fingers crossed :lol:
For sure, and the 7'3" and 7'5" models are very intriguing for all purpose bass techs, including moving bait power techs like spinnerbaits, bigger squarebills, wakebaits, swimjigs, etc., along with bottom contact.

For now, I am concentrating on some spinning combos as I tend to prefer the ergos of spinning in colder weather and for downsizing baits, even though I have had my share of BFS and mag-finesse capable reels/spools/rods.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

VAsmallies
Angler
Angler
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:27 pm

Re: Okuma X-series

Post by VAsmallies » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:27 pm

I own the 7'3" M spinning rod. It's a single hook rod in my opinion. It's light and well balanced with good craftsmanship. I'd like better quality cork, but can't complain for the price. My biggest problem with it is that it feels a little clunky, or maybe chunky, as the blank is pretty thick at the butt/grip. The tip is light though. This adds to versatility and makes it a great choice for skipping docks or around cover with lightish offerings. I've been using it with texas and waxky rigged 5" senkos, fat ikas and 3/16 oz finesse jigs. There's a ton of reserve power despite the relatively light tip. I really enjoy the taper. Loads a weightless fluke better than an nrx852s, but doesn't feel as brittle as it when setting the hook. Sensitivity is not it that class, but not bad. Next few weeks I look forward to use it to cast to stripers in the backs of creeks with lightly belly weighted fluke style baits and 1/4 oz underspins. Would make a good tube rod if you like a lighter tip. Shakeyheads are bread and butter 3/16 to 5/16. I could see it as a heavier weight deep water drop shot rod because of the lighter tip. Best characteristic is tip with a pretty smooth yet quick transition to power.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 10505
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 am
Location: Murfreesboro TN

Re: Okuma X-series

Post by dragon1 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:30 pm

VAsmallies wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:27 pm
I own the 7'3" M spinning rod. It's a single hook rod in my opinion. It's light and well balanced with good craftsmanship. I'd like better quality cork, but can't complain for the price. My biggest problem with it is that it feels a little clunky, or maybe chunky, as the blank is pretty thick at the butt/grip. The tip is light though. This adds to versatility and makes it a great choice for skipping docks or around cover with lightish offerings. I've been using it with texas and waxky rigged 5" senkos, fat ikas and 3/16 oz finesse jigs. There's a ton of reserve power despite the relatively light tip. I really enjoy the taper. Loads a weightless fluke better than an nrx852s, but doesn't feel as brittle as it when setting the hook. Sensitivity is not it that class, but not bad. Next few weeks I look forward to use it to cast to stripers in the backs of creeks with lightly belly weighted fluke style baits and 1/4 oz underspins. Would make a good tube rod if you like a lighter tip. Shakeyheads are bread and butter 3/16 to 5/16. I could see it as a heavier weight deep water drop shot rod because of the lighter tip. Best characteristic is tip with a pretty smooth yet quick transition to power.
Beauty short review and assessment of this rod, thanks a ton! I would guess then that the 7'6" ML will likely be a faster tip than what I would want for moving trebles with braid and 1/4-3/8 shallow-mid cranks and topwaters. Also, it's interesting that the sensitivity isn't as highly touted as I expected it to be, but then again the T1100G is only a raw base material and the rest of the rod still needs to be manufactured.

How would you rate the sensitivity versus say the GLX and other $400+ rods, given retail is under $280?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 658
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: Okuma X-series

Post by KP Duty » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:10 am

Chode wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:35 pm
Anybody try these? The T1100g incorporated into the blank,at that price point, has me intrigued.
TW is claiming Toray 46T. It sounds good, but I know it's all about the resin recipe.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1830
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Re: Okuma X-series

Post by Chode » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:44 am

KP Duty wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:10 am
Chode wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:35 pm
Anybody try these? The T1100g incorporated into the blank,at that price point, has me intrigued.
TW is claiming Toray 46T. It sounds good, but I know it's all about the resin recipe.
13 fishing's envy 3 is claiming the same thing.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 658
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: Okuma X-series

Post by KP Duty » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:30 pm

Chode wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:44 am
KP Duty wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:10 am
Chode wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:35 pm
Anybody try these? The T1100g incorporated into the blank,at that price point, has me intrigued.
TW is claiming Toray 46T. It sounds good, but I know it's all about the resin recipe.
13 fishing's envy 3 is claiming the same thing.
Yes...another rod I'd like to try. I'm a rod-aholic no doubt 8-)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 6769
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Okuma X-series

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:40 pm

I like the look of these rods. I'm still waiting on more reviews before I buy one, though.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1830
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Re: Okuma X-series

Post by Chode » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:43 pm

KP Duty wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:30 pm
Chode wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:44 am
KP Duty wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:10 am
Chode wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:35 pm
Anybody try these? The T1100g incorporated into the blank,at that price point, has me intrigued.
TW is claiming Toray 46T. It sounds good, but I know it's all about the resin recipe.
13 fishing's envy 3 is claiming the same thing.
Yes...another rod I'd like to try. I'm a rod-aholic no doubt 8-)
:lol: . I'm the same...

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 889
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:54 am

Re: Okuma X-series

Post by Drakestar » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:59 am

KP Duty wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:10 am
Chode wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:35 pm
Anybody try these? The T1100g incorporated into the blank,at that price point, has me intrigued.
TW is claiming Toray 46T. It sounds good, but I know it's all about the resin recipe.
Yep. Getting hyped about the carbon fiber used in a blank is like people saying "That band must be awesome, they're using Gibson guitars!" Great, but how are they using them? Many bands play Gibsons, but the quality of their songwriting is different.

I watched the product video and they do look nice, I expect them to perform in the Poison Adrena market segment, but interested to hear first-hand experiences.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 10505
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 am
Location: Murfreesboro TN

Re: Okuma X-series

Post by dragon1 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:04 pm

A YT'er out in East Tennessee made a video review of a ML spinning X-Series, although he never mentioned the model of the rod, and IMO, didn't provide any true insight and compelling thoughts on this rod.

FWIW: https://youtu.be/cKf3LIiqcdY?si=NaLqX8f6Zp-GLAQ1
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 658
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: Okuma X-series

Post by KP Duty » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:18 am

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:04 pm
A YT'er out in East Tennessee made a video review of a ML spinning X-Series, although he never mentioned the model of the rod, and IMO, didn't provide any true insight and compelling thoughts on this rod.

FWIW: https://youtu.be/cKf3LIiqcdY?si=NaLqX8f6Zp-GLAQ1
This guy is sponsored by Okuma?! This gives me hope.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 10505
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 am
Location: Murfreesboro TN

Re: Okuma X-series

Post by dragon1 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:28 pm

KP Duty wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:18 am
dragon1 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:04 pm
A YT'er out in East Tennessee made a video review of a ML spinning X-Series, although he never mentioned the model of the rod, and IMO, didn't provide any true insight and compelling thoughts on this rod.

FWIW: https://youtu.be/cKf3LIiqcdY?si=NaLqX8f6Zp-GLAQ1
This guy is sponsored by Okuma?! This gives me hope.
LMAO...yeppers mango, I'm just trying to be nice as 'Tis the Season and I'm now a Tennessean. :big grin:
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 658
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: Okuma X-series

Post by KP Duty » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:12 pm


dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 10505
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 am
Location: Murfreesboro TN

Re: Okuma X-series

Post by dragon1 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:25 pm

Yeppers, saw that a couple of days ago...I blew my budget on a nice used Steez A HLC and some new ZPI Pentagram star drags.

Friggin' tempting!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Post Reply