Phenix at ICast

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Post Reply
User avatar
Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:26 pm

Re: Phenix at ICast

Post by Martin Lo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:52 pm

speckdog wrote:LOL , I meant lengths, line weight, and lure wt specs.
It's on TT
http://tackletour.com/reviewicast14phenix.html

However I believe there will be more offerings as time goes by.

User avatar
dusty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Sugar Land, TX

Re: Phenix at ICast

Post by dusty » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:37 pm

Shimano listened to this forum and brought back full cork grips. Easily the cleanest build of any rod released this year. If the k2 looked like the new crucial id buy 2-3. But the burl wood and 3 diff materials just appears cheap and tacky. Too many joints in the handle construction.

User avatar
Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:26 pm

Re: Phenix at ICast

Post by Martin Lo » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:48 pm

Just went and had a look...I guess I like burl.
Saying that, if they looked like the recon with refined checks it would be awesome too :-)

User avatar
USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4512
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:49 pm
Location: Bonita Springs / Lake Placid FL.

Re: Phenix at ICast

Post by USA-RET » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:19 pm

dusty wrote:Shimano listened to this forum and brought back full cork grips. Easily the cleanest build of any rod released this year. If the k2 looked like the new crucial id buy 2-3. But the burl wood and 3 diff materials just appears cheap and tacky. Too many joints in the handle construction.
The K2 blows me away. It actually has everything I'd want in an enthusiast class rod. Final design is still in the works. What you see in front of the reel seat will be tweaked I'm sure before final production.

The burl wood accents actually carry forward design cues from other models in their line and are really quite nice. Betting the little extra weight added improves overall balance of the rod too. Priced right where it should be IMO considering the quality components and the blank design.

Phantom
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:30 pm

Re: Phenix at ICast

Post by Phantom » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:43 am

USA-RET wrote:
dusty wrote:Shimano listened to this forum and brought back full cork grips. Easily the cleanest build of any rod released this year. If the k2 looked like the new crucial id buy 2-3. But the burl wood and 3 diff materials just appears cheap and tacky. Too many joints in the handle construction.
The K2 blows me away. It actually has everything I'd want in an enthusiast class rod. Final design is still in the works. What you see in front of the reel seat will be tweaked I'm sure before final production.

The burl wood accents actually carry forward design cues from other models in their line and are really quite nice. Betting the little extra weight added improves overall balance of the rod too. Priced right where it should be IMO considering the quality components and the blank design.
i understand your thinking re. balance but why take one of the lightest blanks on the market and spend big on torzites for weight reduction then add mass amounts of wood?
regardless even w/ tit sic my k2's feel light and balanced as theres hardly any weight to begin with plus the need for balance is less if you have a light blank. a 15yr old graphite blank thats 3oz has far more tip weight than a 1.5oz K2, so you have less weight to counter balance.

i think it was added for looks, to maintain some continuity with other models like stated. too bad its just looks cheap and nasty now, probably not what they wanted from their flagship rod...

OSPIMAE
Angler
Angler
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:19 am

Re: Phenix at ICast

Post by OSPIMAE » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:18 pm


User avatar
Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1980
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:49 am
Location: Townsville, QLD. Australia
Contact:

Re: Phenix at ICast

Post by Mcyl » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:43 pm

:D
The blonde with big lips.
Like the K2 I'll make exceptions based on outstanding potential:D

User avatar
USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4512
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:49 pm
Location: Bonita Springs / Lake Placid FL.

Re: Phenix at ICast

Post by USA-RET » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:51 pm

Phantom wrote: i understand your thinking re. balance but why take one of the lightest blanks on the market and spend big on torzites for weight reduction then add mass amounts of wood?
regardless even w/ tit sic my k2's feel light and balanced as theres hardly any weight to begin with plus the need for balance is less if you have a light blank. a 15yr old graphite blank thats 3oz has far more tip weight than a 1.5oz K2, so you have less weight to counter balance.

i think it was added for looks, to maintain some continuity with other models like stated. too bad its just looks cheap and nasty now, probably not what they wanted from their flagship rod...
Actually those burl wood pieces are quite small and until it was pointed out to me I didn't realize they were even wood. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see these be changed to a CF trim pieces before they hit actual production. Although I'd still vote to keep the burl wood. In person they are very nice looking on that rod.

My guess was that these wood pieces may help balance the rod a bit more, but again, it was/is an assumption on my part. based solely on their size I cannot imagine they weigh much at all.

Megabass builds some extremely light rods and then will add balancers to improve fishing performance and feel. The ARMS Challenge @$1000 is one such rod. So adding some weight to improve a rod's feel is not uncommon or necessarily a negative. Again, the adding weight to the K2 comment is only an opinion on my part and may have zero validity.

The area in front of the reel seat will cleaned up, shortened and made more compact (cut excess reel nut threads away, fit pieces so they don't looked so "stacked" as well as the rest of the rod pieces will be perfectly matched and so on before actual production.

Many new products shown by manufacturers at trade shows are assembled from parts just prior to the show so they can be displayed. All of the imperfections and mismatches are noted and will be addressed before hitting retail.

Like so many products produced and shown, some appeal more to one person than to another. You may find that the final K2 will appeal to you more than the pre-production model does, or perhaps not. In cases where personal preferences or tastes enter into a buying decision, there really is no right or wrong answer, more of a Chocolate/Vanilla thing. :D

The rod felt beyond excellent in hand.

User avatar
Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:26 pm

Re: Phenix at ICast

Post by Martin Lo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:43 pm

Cool, guess each will have to find out for themselves what it truly looks and feels like in person... A bit like pilgrims at Jerusalem

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:17 am

Re: Phenix at ICast

Post by robchik04 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:21 am

One thing I've learned about Phenix, is they do try and listen to their customers. Whether it was the Recon, M1, or now the K2, I'm sure the folks at Phenix will listen and try to produce a rod that appeals to the masses. If not, we can always buy their blanks and make our own! :big grin:

thatvoodoothatyoudo
Angler
Angler
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:01 am

Re: Phenix at ICast

Post by thatvoodoothatyoudo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:59 am

Any word on availability and when pre orders will be accepted?

User avatar
Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:26 pm

Re: Phenix at ICast

Post by Martin Lo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:42 pm

Image

Is say ultra crisp rather than ultra fast. It's too versatile to be a XF rod. Is love to show equations defining taper and crispness but not all here share my love of logic and math. I do feel that with the k2 Phenix has manage to separate usually mutually inclusive properties and created something...magical.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 420
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:28 am

Re: Phenix at ICast

Post by Sore Thumb » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:35 pm

I've always thought that "crispness" has little to do with taper. It has more to do with blank construction and the material used. Two blanks, both rated XF can have completely different reactions to each other based purely on the material used. Give two blanks a good shake (Igive them a vigorous "cast" in the shop) and you will soon discern a difference in crispness, regardless of the manufacturers specified taper.

User avatar
the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1751
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:25 am
Location: South Jersey

Re: Phenix at ICast

Post by the hooligan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:25 am

Any updates when the k2 will be available ?

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1828
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Re: Phenix at ICast

Post by Chode » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:34 am

the hooligan wrote:Any updates when the k2 will be available ?
im wonderin the saaame thing

Post Reply