BFS Challenge

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BFS Challenge

Post by the hooligan » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:15 am

Mark,

My recommendations are a regular fast light action rod and a bfs reel with slightly deeper spool. Best two hardbait bfs rods I've used are the poison glorious 6'6L hardbait finesse, and the 6'3 super criffhanger. Both rods are extremely versatile as they'll throw 1/8oz hardbaits, but the tip is fast enough for plastics.

When it comes to reels, I know your a daiwa guy so I would definitely be going alphas air or steez with knock off air spool. Spool up some 4lb hybrid or a thinner diameter 6-8lb line.

The zpi732 spool has been my favorite cause its probably one of the lightest spools I've used, and its deeper so you can really get a good amount of line on. Pretty sure i weighed it at around 8.5grams spooled. Thats about the same as most bfs spools with no line. True bfs reels will make life so much easier throwing light hardbaits compared to the SV spools are other factory daiwa spools.

And when it comes to big fish and bfs gear, I've only been spooled once, had about 25-30yds of line on and hooked into a monster muskie. I usually put on abut 40-50 yds of 4-6lb copoly and regularly bring in nice stripers, bass, and cats, lol.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:18 am

Nothing wrong with trolling - except that I have not tried it.
I agree with you, however, some times I find it fun to shake things up a bit. I know of some Danes who have had great success fishing far off-shore with light spinning tackle, 10-15 lb braid, and 1 oz jigs for deep sea fish, e.g. cod. Perhaps BFS could be used with some success for Lake Ontario trout...just a thought...

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mang » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:03 am

I just use my KLX 6'6 medlight. Purchased when they first introduced the rods. Paired with my steez and MB honey spool. The Chinese spools are not as great imo. They really have to spin fast for the inductor to be in the mag side of the park. I'm thinking about making my own spring for the inductor so that it will be much softer. I use this rod strictly for river small mouth fishing. It is so much better then my super eiger for moving baits. Action wise. Like other have said the brown don't run as much as the salmon. With the MB spool I had at the time that caught me my gaint brown last year I had 6lbs of line fully spool and the brown never took all the line. But with muskie in the other hand I've lost twice already a full spool on my MB spool. But now any thing lighter I fly fish, it's so much fun

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:03 am

Well it's definitely something I want to do. I'm going to wait to hear feedback on the Alphas Air. That's the reel I'd like to use. Won't need to drop an additional spool fee onto the cost. Plug in some ceramics and get busy. I think the ideal length of rod for me would be 6'10, and I'll have Vinnie build it, or go a little cheaper and get the 6'8 light bfs Zodias. Hopefully they mate and don't blow up. The Air spool could be trouble though. I don't really care for Shimanos newest braking system, so I'd want the last generation. The bills on these teeny jerkbaits are so small, I'd likely use 7 lb Sniper. On a side note, who makes quality micro lipless cranks?

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:37 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Well it's definitely something I want to do. I'm going to wait to hear feedback on the Alphas Air. That's the reel I'd like to use. Won't need to drop an additional spool fee onto the cost. Plug in some ceramics and get busy. I think the ideal length of rod for me would be 6'10, and I'll have Vinnie build it, or go a little cheaper and get the 6'8 light bfs Zodias. Hopefully they mate and don't blow up. The Air spool could be trouble though. I don't really care for Shimanos newest braking system, so I'd want the last generation. The bills on these teeny jerkbaits are so small, I'd likely use 7 lb Sniper. On a side note, who makes quality micro lipless cranks?
Jackall.

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:31 pm

you going to need a noodle like rod to throw 1/16 to 1/8 hardbaits. if you worried about capacity and stopping power put on light braid with a heavier fluoro leader.

from my experience.... you are not going to find a bfs bass rod that can handle those baits well. they are alittle optimistic with their ratings. gotta find a ul trout blank and get it wrapped custom.

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:36 pm

i would like to add i chuck a 1/8 rapala countdown well over 20 yards. pushing close to even 30.

my major craft corzza rated 1/32-1/4 doesnt even come close to the distance, control or lure placement. has a hell of alot more backbone but backbone is worthless without a lure in a fishes mouth.

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:38 pm

save yourself the trouble and get a custom trout rod wrapped. you going to save yourself tons of money and time looking for a bfs bass rod that can throw those lures good.

dont be like me wasting years figuring out how to dial it in. proper rod is 90% of the battle for those tiny hardbaits

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:31 pm

1/8 oz is doable with a range of BFS rods and reels (esp. with aftermarket spools).
The Legend Inshore Gulf Coast XL hardly bends when I have a 1/8 oz spinner tied on. The two Volkey BFS rods and the N-one BFS that I have are more true to their lure rating. Still, I can easily cast 20-25 yards with decent precision with the St croix and Major Craft rods and one of the reels mentioned in a previous post.

1/16 oz is another matter... I agree with slicksouthpaw with regard to rod choice (it has to be somewhat of a noodle). Have you decided which jerkbaits to throw ? Do any 1/16 oz jerkbaits come with rattle balls / weight transfer for help with casting ?

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:38 pm

Id say you need a little bit of a noodle to cast 1/16oz hardbaits. A regular fast bfs rod is fine for 1/8oz. My criffhanger will sling a an 1/8oz yozuri pins minnow more then enough distance...

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:11 am

im sure you guys are capable. another variable is not all hardbaits are created equal when it comes to casting. berkleys 1/8oz flicker shad cast HORRIBLE. rapala countdown is a lot better.

when it comes to spoons and spinners. the bfs bass rods can fling those good. but cranks and jerkbaits is where it gets alittle more difficult for me.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:27 am

slicksouthpaw wrote:im sure you guys are capable. another variable is not all hardbaits are created equal when it comes to casting. berkleys 1/8oz flicker shad cast HORRIBLE. rapala countdown is a lot better.

when it comes to spoons and spinners. the bfs bass rods can fling those good. but cranks and jerkbaits is where it gets alittle more difficult for me.
True, spinners are easier than some of the jerkbaits I have tried (equal weight). Do you use the original rapala countdown (CD3) ?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:31 am

I'd likely have it built on a light powered spinning blank. Not a spin jig blank. Another option would be an ultra light popping blank. I. Haven't really researched baits yet, but I'll get there. I know I won't be using braid for this particular set up and technique.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:02 am

I recall that you like the River2Sea Humbug Minnow. The 1/8 oz 45F version (and others) are on sale for 2usd on river2seausa.com...

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:53 am

Phenix Mirage blank. That thing will cast any 1/16oz lure I have easily. Rooster Tails, CD-1, 1/32oz jighead with grub. It is moderate but it recovers quickly. Fun rod. I can PM you my components if you don't want to figure it out. I did have my own guides though.