BFS Challenge

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

BFS Challenge

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:08 am

This is going to be a multiple question deal I could have posted under many topics. I know there are at least a few folks on here who aren't completely on one side of the coin, so those who use both Shimano and Daiwa are encouraged to reply. I really want to find a way to make this work if it's even possible.
The 1st part of my question is, and this is probably backwards, micro hardbaits - what reel and spool? I without a doubt know even though I haven't done it, a 1.5 inch jerkbait would catch fish after fish for me. The time of year I hit this area the baitfish are right at that size. I Wade a local river and see Browns, Bows, and smallmouth chasing them around. So we're talking ultra light bfs rod and 1/8 1/16 Oz baits. I want to be able to cast these a fair, respectable distance.
2nd part. Ultra light rod, maybe 50 yards of light line, slow to moderate current, and a maniac smallie. If she starts jamming down current is it a done deal? Just say peace out? How do you get her turned? If I beef up the rod or line it will affect casting or action of the bait. I can't exactly Carl Lewis it down river. If I let her run she's gonna spool me. I don't think it's a plausible scenario, but perhaps I'm missing something? I catch a fair amount of slime, but this is one of the few areas that doesn't get a ton of pressure and I just have the feeling this method would knock em dead. I've caught 4 lb smallmouth and Browns pushing 6 pounds here. I'd hate to think I'm on to something and miss out on one of those opportunities that we all know doesn't come around often. Educate me fellas.
And let me add that I know drag and thumb are essential with this scenario, but man it seems like a very, very fine line to be walking.
Last edited by Hogsticker2 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: BFS Challenge

Post by Teal101 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:18 am

Go to a longer Light power rod. Gives you length to get distance and gives you a bit more power. Try and get a slightly deeper BFS spool like the honeycomb spools or maybe even a SV105 spool. Use 6-7lb line. When they run, lean into em and let the drag do its thing.

Those browns sound fun :mrgreen:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:25 am

Teal101 wrote:Go to a longer Light power rod. Gives you length to get distance and gives you a bit more power. Try and get a slightly deeper BFS spool like the honeycomb spools or maybe even a SV105 spool. Use 6-7lb line. When they run, lean into em and let the drag do its thing.

Those browns sound fun :mrgreen:
That sounds really good. So a deep version of an SV spool. I just sold one of course. I guess the shallow version will hold maybe 80 yards of light test. A few fish I've hooked up with I thought were gonna run all the way to Long Lake. Thanks for the tip.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:27 am

Also Ryan, will the SV spools cast a micro micro crank? I've never tried.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:40 am

The SV105 will hold plenty of line. I fish 12lb fluoro on mine all day and have no issues. The MB Honeycomb spools and Cosugi spools are slightly deeper than say the IS BFS spool and would be more appropriate for 6-7lb line. The SV105 would be plenty deep. I've decided on a Poison Glorious 168L for my BFS plastics rod. Havent got one yet, but I would say it would be perfect for this application. Length can help outweigh a spools inability to toss light baits.

For reference using the XX EMTF MH 7'-5" rod, 12lb Red Label, and a Steez with SV105 stock bearings I was pushing 65ft with a nose hooked 4.5" Roboworm. I dont doubt it would do great with a light crank, but I havent tried either. The Alphas SV with the even light spool would be even better.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:03 am

I primarily chase browns (sea run) with BFS gear - with many fish in the 5-7 pound range. The fish push 20 pounds in the streams I fish but I have yet to get such a biggie...
In my experience browns rarely run very far as opposed to salmon. I guess 70-80 yards of line is plenty. Your smallmouths may beg to differ (?). I have 10-15 lb braid (0.12-0.16 mm) on almost all my BFS reels, which give me a few extra yards. Beacuse I fish moving treble hook baits and use braided line, I use rods with a moderate or moderate-fast action.

I have 7-8 reels that can handle 1/8 oz jerkbaits but have most succes with the following:
Conquest 101HG with avail spool (I have the 1024 which does not hold a lot of line)
Morrum ZX 1601 with avail spool
PX68L with Ize spool (I recently got the spool, which is great)
PX68L SPR with BFS bearings
Aldebaran 51 with ZPI bearings
Metanium with Yumeya spool and ZPI bearings (avail honeycomb may handle 1/8 oz better)
- you may consider the Conquest a heavy-ish option but it works like a charm with the avail spool...you can get a deeper avail spool for the conquest, which I am sure will still toss 1/8 oz jerkbaits like other reels throw 1 oz lipless crankbaits.

If you want a longer moderate action rod then consider Major Craft N-one. Overall I am quite happy with that rod, though I would prefer a larger/longer rear grip.
Otherwise, I highly recommend the St Croix Legend Extreme Gulf Coast rods, which may still be on sale on the St Croix site.
The St Croix rods offer a bit more backbone than the N-one and are superb when matched with a Conquest.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:58 am

Are you thinking about a custom rod. I was just checking out the North Fork Composites website and I saw that they have their Mag Bass blank in L and ML 6'6". The Loomis MBR-782GLX with a Conquest 50/AvailCNQ5026Ra spool will flat out sling a 2.5gr Bitsy Minnow. I'm betting the lighter powered NFC Mag Bass blanks would be even better. I do agree that a tweener BFS spool is the was to go. That is a shallow spool that isn't super deep or super shallow. For line, I am in love with 4# Yo Zuri Hybrid for throwing little hardbaits.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:25 am

Oh yeah, for sure custom. You bet ya now. That's my North Dakota talk. Just finished season 2 of Fargo. If you haven't seen it, you should.
The majority of the Browns I've caught here, Rock Lake, and Waitts Lake are strange in that they roll. The one's over 5,6 lbs will run though. The smallmouth on the other hand are little freight trains in that current.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:07 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Oh yeah, for sure custom. You bet ya now. That's my North Dakota talk. Just finished season 2 of Fargo. If you haven't seen it, you should.
The majority of the Browns I've caught here, Rock Lake, and Waitts Lake are strange in that they roll. The one's over 5,6 lbs will run though. The smallmouth on the other hand are little freight trains in that current.
Are there smallies in Rock? I'm jealous of the great Brown fisheries over that way.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:37 am

The ktf aldebaran/st. croix legend inshore combo I reviewed a little while back would fit the bill perfectly. What you want to do is exactly what I use the combo for. Wading and sight fishing is some of the most fun you will ever have. Unless you're in a raging river I never had too much issue controlling fish even on 4 lb line with a 6-6'6" ultralight spinning outfit.

For your reels any of the current bfs crop will fit the bill. Since the small baits have such little drag a high speed reel works great and allows you to keep up if they run at you or if the lure gets pushed by the current. The alphas air, ss air would be fun or the 50e with a honeycomb spool or something like the aldebaran setup I have. The sv105 spool will go down to an 1/8 but the air/avail/ktf setups can accomplish it with better accuracy which is key when the water gets clear.

I prefer 6' - 6'6" rods when wading because I've found myself in some tighter quarters where a longer rod would've make things more difficult. 6'6" can get plenty of casting distance and a soft moderate action works best for absorbing shock from a fish and the st croix inshore rod recommended above or similar action works great. It feels just like an UL spinning rod but with a bit more power. I use 1/16oz pins minnows and 1/16oz rooster tails and can hammer the fish.

I like flouro or a good mono in the clear water and mono helps to absorb a bit more shock but if its rocky flouro is good.

I've caught a couple 10lb catfish of the st croix/shimano ktf setup with 6lb mono in a decent current so the power is there.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:54 pm

Teal101 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Oh yeah, for sure custom. You bet ya now. That's my North Dakota talk. Just finished season 2 of Fargo. If you haven't seen it, you should.
Are there smallies in Rock? I'm jealous of the great Brown fisheries over that way.
Nothing but rock all day long. Have you ever fished Rock Lake? If not and you're interested in targeting Browns, this is a dandy place in Whitman County. My biggest is 9 lbs and my Father In Law wrestled one pushing 12 :shock: . If you haven't and want to I can fill you in. Late March, early April is premium :big grin:

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:22 pm

Going for browns, trolling lake Ontario tomorrow...

but our browns are big and powerful...no bfs tackle for our great lakes browns....

average fish is 8-10lbs with fish approaching 25lbs....

we run 30lbs braid with a 17lbs leader, then mostly fish ripplin redfins, J11's, thundersticks, etc.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:06 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:Going for browns, trolling lake Ontario tomorrow...

but our browns are big and powerful...no bfs tackle for our great lakes browns....

we run 30lbs braid with a 17lbs leader, then mostly fish ripplin redfins, J11's, thundersticks, etc.
Why not try BFS? I do not mean for trolling, but some other technique... A rod with a little backbone and a BFS reel fitted with a carbontex drag and spooled with 10 lb braid could be fun.
In 2015, the biggest sea run brown trout caught in one of the streams I fish was 26.9 lb. Most local anglers use medium-light spinning tackle with 0.12-0.16 mm braid or 0.25-0.30 mm mono.
I note that Lake Ontario is very deep, which I guess is your biggest problem. At least you will not have to struggle to keep the fish away from vegetation... ;)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:46 am

Show off :lol: . I know a guy who caught who caught an 18 pounder out of Lake Roosevelt fishing for smallmouth with a freaking Senko. Right place right time. I think our State record is 24 lbs years ago out of Long Lake. I'd crap my britches if I hooked into something like that. Nothing wrong with trolling, especially with trout that size on a medium powered rod. Sounds like fun to me.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:49 am

Dalleinf wrote:

Why not try BFS? I do not mean for trolling, but some other technique... A rod with a little backbone and a BFS reel fitted with a carbontex drag and spooled with 10 lb braid could be fun.
In 2015, the biggest sea run brown trout caught in one of the streams I fish was 26.9 lb. Most local anglers use medium-light spinning tackle with 0.12-0.16 mm braid or 0.25-0.30 mm mono.
I note that Lake Ontario is very deep, which I guess is your biggest problem. At least you will not have to struggle to keep the fish away from vegetation... ;)
I guess I view bfs as another tool in the box rather than a way of life. I know some people are strictly bfs for the fun factor, but I'd rather diversify.